Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marseille

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
But the French police were fine on the match day?

They were friendly and didn't take the piss at all. They didn't know what the plan was either a lot of the time just to keep us behind. We were speaking to one of them who was constantly keeping us updated on any news.
But who was it that was stopping you from going down the stairs? Individually yes they’re fine but collectively French police are hardly known for the proactive community policing.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
But who was it that was stopping you from going down the stairs? Individually yes they’re fine but collectively French police are hardly known for the proactive community policing.
Because that's what people higher up had agreed as the best plan for post match. If they'd let everyone down it would have been even more crammed at the bottom.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I’m very aware of the CRS’ reputation but as has been said before, they were implementing a plan which will have been agreed in advance by all involved, presumably including - perhaps uncomfortably for some - the Albion.

The fact that they did so while keeping us informed as best they could and were pretty decent guys if you talked to them was to their credit: they emphasised that they were there to protect us from the more extreme local fans. Blaming them for a bad plan is just silly.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I’m very aware of the CRS’ reputation but as has been said before, they were implementing a plan which will have been agreed in advance by all involved, presumably including - perhaps uncomfortably for some - the Albion.

The fact that they did so while keeping us informed as best they could and were pretty decent guys if you talked to them was to their credit: they emphasised that they were there to protect us from the more extreme local fans. Blaming them for a bad plan is just silly.
Also lots of them weren't actually from Marseille and were joining in with calling it a shithole.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Indeed.

Before the game, I was told there were 21 buses running loops to the stadium and back again. I don't know if there were the same number after the game, but I think it must have been quite close to that. I'm pretty sure we got on the first group of buses away from the ground, and there were a fair few lined up in that parking lot area.

2,500 people into 21 coaches doesn't go so, unfortunately, there were going to be people left behind waiting for the buses and police vans etc to return and repeat the journey into town. Faced with quite a long drive back to Geneva I was quite keen we got into the first convoy if we could.

When we were finally allowed down the stairwells and into the parking lot, it was like an episode of Runaround (one for older readers). There was no organisation at all, so people just darting around to see if they could get onto a bus, any bus. We got lucky and reached a bus that was only starting to fill. When we boarded there were quite a few empty seats. The driver declared his bus as full when all seats were taken - there were no standing passengers.

We were on board the bus for quite a while before it started moving. Looking at messages I sent people, I think we were finally on the move around 9:10pm local time. We took a more direct route to town than we did to get to the stadium, but it was slow progress, and those back at the Velodrome would have had quite a wait.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The police woman at the entrance to the square on Thursday when I went to get inside the cordon asked if I was Palace! 👏👏 She said her brother in law lived in England and had given her the background to BHA.
A large male policeman made a similar joke to us as we went to the square after collecting our tickets. All very good-natured and smiley.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Wondering if anyone can get in contact with the ultras, they took a load of pictures of me and my mates in a bar on Wednesday on the back of a moped and I’ve thought they’d be really good for my Instagram.
You might have to ask via their nursery section c/o selhurst park.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Also lots of them weren't actually from Marseille and were joining in with calling it a shithole.
yes that was my experience : spoke to two or three of them : they seemed to agree that Olympic Marseille were the problem :
lots of smiles : i thought they were friendly and tried to be helpful, but ultimately had a job to do and they did it well

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The police woman at the entrance to the square on Thursday when I went to get inside the cordon asked if I was Palace! 👏👏 She said her brother in law lived in England and had given her the background to BHA.
There was a bunch of riot cops standing near me throughout the game….one was a cute and petite girl. I was pondering getting myself arrested by her at 2-0 down.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What a trip. Ive done loads of England away over the years (with my brighton chums), but travelling to Europe with your mates to watch Albion was just sublime and far superior. Brilliant turn out from the youngsters and those that have been going donkeys years as well.
You just cant top football away like that.
Feel sorry for those stuck in the stadium for hours after..............but welcome to football in Europe.

Montpellier was a wonderful surprise...........cracking place.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
What a trip. Ive done loads of England away over the years (with my brighton chums), but travelling to Europe with your mates to watch Albion was just sublime and far superior. Brilliant turn out from the youngsters and those that have been going donkeys years as well.
You just cant top football away like that.
Feel sorry for those stuck in the stadium for hours after..............but welcome to football in Europe.

Montpellier was a wonderful surprise...........cracking place.
Very true, I can’t quite remember being so pissed at a football match, save Notts County at Wembley.

Getting up to the Velodrome (15 mins) from the Old Port meant we had all day on it in relatively relaxed environment. The old bill we spoke to down there were bemused that so few BHA fans were about………didn’t get asked for passport once!!

Got to hand it to Marseille fans too, plenty of abuse through the fences on lower tier, it’s been a while since we got the old sucking cock, and bumming gestures………they had definitely done their homework on us.

The fencing was old school, and I should know better………….but the 88 minute goal took me back to the fool old days.

Magnifique.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Very true, I can’t quite remember being so pissed at a football match, save Notts County at Wembley.

Getting up to the Velodrome (15 mins) from the Old Port meant we had all day on it in relatively relaxed environment. The old bill we spoke to down there were bemused that so few BHA fans were about………didn’t get asked for passport once!!

Got to hand it to Marseille fans too, plenty of abuse through the fences on lower tier, it’s been a while since we got the old sucking cock, and bumming gestures………they had definitely done their homework on us.

The fencing was old school, and I should know better………….but the 88 minute goal took me back to the fool old days.

Magnifique.
Gestures were a plenty at Wolves this year.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
As expected we avoided coaches to ground b4 game and after and had such a great time down the port we booked another flight and stayed another night 8 of us with no problems at all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here