Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marks and Spencer insult war dead

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Just happened to be in Marks at Holmbush this morning, and they continued playing pop music during the 2 minutes ''silence'' they'd just announced. Complete buffoons.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bombard head office with complaints. They will probably say something along the lines of that they find it offensive to Germans etc similar to the reactions to christian/Muslim Christmas celebrations.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
We always do it where I work, but you still see some people continue shopping. Can they really not spare 2 minutes of their year to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I agree that their lack of respect is disgusting, but you chose to shop rather than attend a remembrance service. :shrug:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Bombard head office with complaints. They will probably say something along the lines of that they find it offensive to Germans etc similar to the reactions to christian/Muslim Christmas celebrations.

If they find it offensive, why announce it in store?

Public observance of a two minutes silence outside of a specific war memorial ceremony seems to me to be a relatively recent phenomenon, dating back only to the 1990s. It seems to have come about only once most of the adult population had NO experience of war. I know that members of my family (from the generations that actually fought in WW1 and WW2) were never very comfortable about non-combatants making a big deal of "remembering" events that they hadn't themselves experienced.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is straight out the top drawer of tabloid outrage!

So basically someone at M&S forgot to turn the music off, that's it. They haven't insulted anyone, nobody is hurt, it is a victimless "crime".

Stop trying to be offended and get over it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yet another case of someone finding something to be outraged by...FFs

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Strange how a lot of football supporters will observe the 2 mins silence of some player, manager etc...... yet can't be respectful enough for 2 mins, ONCE a year, to remember people that died so that we could have the freedom to have our two mins silence for someone who got well paid and never had to put his/her life on the line.
Feel free to moan at this post.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Public observance of a two minutes silence outside of a specific war memorial ceremony seems to me to be a relatively recent phenomenon, dating back only to the 1990s. It seems to have come about only once most of the adult population had NO experience of war. I know that members of my family (from the generations that actually fought in WW1 and WW2) were never very comfortable about non-combatants making a big deal of "remembering" events that they hadn't themselves experienced.

I think you'll find it's the more recent conflicts;Falklands,Iraq1/2 and in particular what is happening right now in Afghanistan that is refreshing the publics mind. I have no experience of war and certainly hope I never do.However the one time of the year were the public are asked to show their appreciation I for one will wear as I always have my poppy with the upmost gratitude for giving the ultimate sacrifice.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
This is straight out the top drawer of tabloid outrage!

So basically someone at M&S forgot to turn the music off, that's it. They haven't insulted anyone, nobody is hurt, it is a victimless "crime".

Stop trying to be offended and get over it.

Indeed.The OP should get on to the mail. They love this sort of sensationalist nonsense.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
On a similar note I was watching a program about jet planes in the fifties and they showed the 1952 Farnborough Air Disaster - basically 31 (in all) people died when a plane crashed into the crowd. I can't remember how many people attended the day of the crash but the next day the show carried on and even more people attended!

Can you imagine that happening today? People would be off work for weeks with trauma, counselling and handwringing. Funny thing is I have never heard of any person alive in 1952 scarred by it- certainly there must be a few people but not the numbers that would be traumatised today!

I think you'll find it's the more recent conflicts;Falklands,Iraq1/2 and in particular what is happening right now in Afghanistan that is refreshing the publics mind. I have no experience of war and certainly hope I never do.However the one time of the year were the public are asked to show their appreciation I for one will wear as I always have my poppy with the upmost gratitude for giving the ultimate sacrifice.
I'm sure you're right. But a couple of minutes' quiet reflection every year is an inadequate response to the issues that we should be thinking about in connection with the Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan. I have a feeling that the establishment much prefers us to bottle up our response to these recent conflicts into a carefully orchestrated two minutes every November.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here