Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McGhee's contract

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
Surely it's time for Dick Knight to come out publicly and say that he's going to reward McGhee for his efforts?

We have been blessed with some top drawer managers in recent years, and McGhee is continuing that tradition.

Irrespective of the result of the Public Enquiry we must take steps to secure Mark's services for at least another year, if not longer.

Otherwise we will find it increasingly more difficult to attract big names to Brighton.

Brilliant today Mark. You and all the team deserve the utmost respect.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I wouldn't say that McGhee is just continuing that tradition, I would say that he is one of the best.

I agree with your last two sentences. Brilliant.
He has turned a few pigs ears into silk purses.

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
mcghee should have his contract sorted asap and this would also be a sign to some of the younger players who maybe hesitating about signing a new deal.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think it sums it all up in his post match comments on the official site

Mark McGhee

Note: not I am so proud of them but I'm so proud of my team

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
We neet to get Hinshelwood under contract. He is looking awesome at the moment.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
When I look at Redknapp and Robson etc in the premiership with their big budgets and look at their achievements and listen to their constant moaning about transfers etc and then listen to Mark and his honest statements and unbiased judgements and look at what he has done with no budget I think the man is one of the top managers in the country.

We need to offer him a big contract asap cause if he can make us into a good team some premiership chairman may be noting that fact when they sack their under achievers in May.

Is NSC trying to go green, recycling old issues? We have been through this many times before. DK has stated that MM contracts will depend on the outcome of the PI and the division we are in. If we don't get Falmer, we can't afford MM. If we give him a 3 year contract now and don't get Falmer, we will bankrupt the club paying him off or keeping him.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I am sure that MM contract will be top of DK to do list on monday morning. Today he proved that he is able to take a team that is an odd collection of misfits, sell two of the better players in it, and still get them to play some of the best football we have played for years.

I said when we signed him that he was a great siging because he was able to motivate people and worked well with youngsters. We saw that today. I for one will love him to be the manager that leads out the team for our first game at Falmer, then a few seasons after that, to be the manager that leads us out for our first game in the Premership.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Wardywonderland said:
I am sure that MM contract will be top of DK to do list on monday morning. Today he proved that he is able to take a team that is an odd collection of misfits, sell two of the better players in it, and still get them to play some of the best football we have played for years.

I said when we signed him that he was a great siging because he was able to motivate people and worked well with youngsters. We saw that today. I for one will love him to be the manager that leads out the team for our first game at Falmer, then a few seasons after that, to be the manager that leads us out for our first game in the Premership.

Couldn't agree more.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Just a thought, but if Danny Cullip can sign a contract that says "If Sheff Utd get promoted, Brighton get X: if they don't Brighton get Y."

Why can;t we offer contracts that say "If we get Falmer, you get X; if we don't you get Y and we won't stand in your way if you want to find another club.". Obviously dressed up in 20 pages of legal-ese to justify solicitors fees.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I think we should offer an 18 month extension to his current contract from now with a clause that says something like: "If we do not get Falmer you are free to go if a decent offer comes in." Then when we get the Falmer green light the board can sit down with him and sort out a proper lenghty contract.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Good thinking Lush and TK.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The Great Cornholio said:
Is NSC trying to go green, recycling old issues? We have been through this many times before. DK has stated that MM contracts will depend on the outcome of the PI and the division we are in. If we don't get Falmer, we can't afford MM. If we give him a 3 year contract now and don't get Falmer, we will bankrupt the club paying him off or keeping him.

Thats what he said originally but I'm pretty sure he said last week in the Argus that he was going to sort it out soon.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Another Berkshire Seagull said:
As well as MM has done I'd still be well chuffed to see Mickey Adams come back in his place next season :cool:

So you'd swap our current manager for a dour northerner who jumped ship at the first opportunity, having advertised himself as being available for better jobs for nearly the whole of his tenure here. He then failed miserably as a Championship/Premiership manager when he was allowed to build his own team, rather than the inherited one that got promoted in his first full season.

I'd rather hang onto a manager who seems to be proud to be here and has turned the proverbial sow's ear into a silk purse whilst selling his best players. MA is a blinding lower league manager and motivator but is not in McGhee's class imo.

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Thimble Keegan said:
I think we should offer an 18 month extension to his current contract from now with a clause that says something like: "If we do not get Falmer you are free to go if a decent offer comes in." Then when we get the Falmer green light the board can sit down with him and sort out a proper lenghty contract.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Good idea though would need to include a time frame so if we do not get falmer by 30 July 2005 then you are free to talk to other clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here