Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mark McGhee retires

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Drinking pints of whisky!

A mate of mine knows him well. Says he's a lovely chap.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That's a shame. If was due to be his turn at Watford soon.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Getting us to the Millennium Stadium puts us in that select group of clubs to have played at Old Wembley, Millennium and New Wembley. So I thank him for his contribution there.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
He was responsible for turning Guy Butters from a parody footballer into an absolute stalwart.

Younger fans struggling to cope with the virtues of older fans from more difficult times, will be interested to note that some of the old salts of the earth uber fans offered Butters for sale on Ebay for a quid. For balance very many fans (myself included) were very quick to criticise those behind this prank.

McGhee instilled a sense of purpose and greatly improved the fitness of the squad he inherited. It wasn't rocket science and ultimately he ran out of steam, when he couldn't squeeze any more out of a pretty mediocre squad of goal shy players.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He did an excellent job for us and represented the club brilliantly in the transfer market and publically. I thought his tenure went on too long but that's not really a criticism of the man and he's gone on to have a good career after leaving us and had an excellent CV when he came to us. I thought at the time of his appointment that it was a real coup for us to get such a good manager into the club and he didn't let us down. I hope he enjoys his retirement, he certainly has earned it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He did an excellent job for us and represented the club brilliantly in the transfer market and publically. I thought his tenure went on too long but that's not really a criticism of the man and he's gone on to have a good career after leaving us and had an excellent CV when he came to us. I thought at the time of his appointment that it was a real coup for us to get such a good manager into the club and he didn't let us down. I hope he enjoys his retirement, he certainly has earned it.

Agreed. I hope he looks back on his time with us with pride and I hope also with affection. Sure it ended on a slightly sour note (as managerial spells often do, even the successful ones!) but he did an amazing job with the hand he was dealt. Wish him all the best.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
At the time of his appointment I think he "got" us. He did a great job imho and is fondly remembered.

Apart from the Play Off final, he also said he had never lost a match at Selhurst Park, be it with Wolves, Reading, and as it turned out, with us. McShane in the 79th minute.

I've seen him with his son at the Amex, so he continues to watch us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was a big McGhee fan, he was a much maligned manager when he got the sack but I think he “got” the Albion as another poster has already mentioned.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He was responsible for turning Guy Butters from a parody footballer into an absolute stalwart.

Younger fans struggling to cope with the virtues of older fans from more difficult times, will be interested to note that some of the old salts of the earth uber fans offered Butters for sale on Ebay for a quid. For balance very many fans (myself included) were very quick to criticise those behind this prank.

McGhee instilled a sense of purpose and greatly improved the fitness of the squad he inherited. It wasn't rocket science and ultimately he ran out of steam, when he couldn't squeeze any more out of a pretty mediocre squad of goal shy players.

You could almost say the same thing about Adam Virgo. McGhee did a lot for his career, improving him into a £1m footballer with his move to Celtic.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
He gave us two incredible seasons, with promotion via the playoffs in 2003-04 and then somehow staying up in the Championship in 2004-05. All while we were handicapped by playing at Withdean and having a smaller budget than most of our competitiors. It was actually one of the proudest times to be an Albion supporter.

papachris

https://onefootball.com/en/news/the...celt-calls-time-on-managerial-career-35909036

Fond memories of being at the Albion v Bristol City League One Play-Off Final in 2004 in Cardiff(Well, the atmosphere was great). I was woken up just before the penalty was taken.

He did a decent job for us at the time in difficult circumstances.
I was at the play off in Cardiff as well. I remember Nathan Jones having a great game on the left side and big Mark McCammon going down like a sack of spuds to win the penalty which Leon Knight dispatched. Not the best game, but a great day out with my son :)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
In relative terms, the biggest overachiever in Albion managerial history?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was at the play off in Cardiff as well. I remember Nathan Jones having a great game on the left side and big Mark McCammon going down like a sack of spuds to win the penalty which Leon Knight dispatched. Not the best game, but a great day out with my son :)

It was Chris Iwelumo who was brought down for the penalty.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Was also at the Mil-Stad in '04
I liked the bloke - bit maverick with his selections - Virgo the headless chicken up-front - later sold to Celtic for £1m - OMG!
Also liked his no-nonsense - how many players got chucked off the team coach in the middle of nowhere at an away game?

He's ok ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here