Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maria Sharapova failed drugs test*

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
She'll definitely be banned, however harsh the circumstances. Not to do so would bring the whole disciplinary process into disrepute, and every other player would be up in arms.

If you look at her statement she says: "I don't want to end my career this way, I really hope I will be given another chance to play this game."

I translate that as: "Give me a one-year ban or less and I'll come back, anything longer and forget it."

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Pretty dumb to get caught, everyone associated with her knew what she was doing but hellsfire.....................
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 212

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To be honest the womens game is so poor that I doubt it make much difference. :fishing:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I don't find her attractive AT ALL.

Apparently I'm weird.

Now, google tennis player Eugenie Bouchard and THAT is attractive.

Anyway, what were we talking about?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't find her attractive AT ALL.

Apparently I'm weird.

Now, google tennis player Eugenie Bouchard and THAT is attractive.

Anyway, what were we talking about?

I have seen her very close up in the flesh and I can confirm she is average other than having a decent pair of legs. She is also very tall, taller than your average man.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Last year the meds were allowed, this year they were not. Hardly the most heinous crime in doping terms, but a minimum one year ban surely has to apply here.

I do not understand how athletes are unaware of what the banned list is, surely they keep up with this sort of stuff.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
nike have pulled out of supporting her...........................................pay your workers decent wages and someone would care
#hypocrits

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Last year the meds were allowed, this year they were not. Hardly the most heinous crime in doping terms, but a minimum one year ban surely has to apply here.

I do not understand how athletes are unaware of what the banned list is, surely they keep up with this sort of stuff.

Agreed, or certainly her medical team should be. That's the only bit that concerns me. THat said it's a bit stupid to be able to take a drug for ten years with no problems and no suggestion of it being banned and then suddenly have to change your medication. Maybe they just decided that they couldn't?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Agreed, or certainly her medical team should be. That's the only bit that concerns me. THat said it's a bit stupid to be able to take a drug for ten years with no problems and no suggestion of it being banned and then suddenly have to change your medication. Maybe they just decided that they couldn't?

I think you'll find that all performance enhancing drugs are legal and you can take them right up to the point that they are proven to be performance enhancing and banned. That's the point where the testers have caught up with you :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I feel sorry for her. Taking a drug for ten years for a medical condition and then they add this banned drug to the list from 1st January and she gets done.

Has she really benefited from this in any way? I doubt it has made any difference to her performances, just stopped her being ill.
You have to be :fishing:

I just don't buy this. I don't see how this can have enhanced her performances. It's to stop her getting ill.
She said she gets the flu every 2 months :lol: I consider myself unlucky if I get it every 5 years. 20% of Russian athletes take the same drug, because it boosts performance.

Yes it's a shame that she managed to get away with cheating for 10 years, because the drug cheats are often ahead of the testers, but the testers caught up eventually, and added it to the list.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
But it was only a banned substance from 1st January. She had been taking it ten years before that, when it wasn't a banned substance. Thereofre she had no need to try and avoid detection.

Except it's use in a sporting context to aid recovery was always going to come under the spotlight if it appeared regularly in tests. The longer its appearance was limited the better it was for the drug cheats. It was on the watch list all of last year and protestations that she "didn't click on the link" seem manufactured to throw people from looking at who was "prescribing" and controlling dosages of a drug which was not recognised for legitimate medical purposes in the US where she is domiciled.
She knowingly worked with "experts" to source and take a drug to enhance performance and is now trying to control reporting and airbrush history to limit damage to her image.
Sport has always been rife with people cheating to keep a step ahead of their rivals. Whether the drugs or methods they use are legal or not is to some extent a moot point. They know they are cheating, seeking to gain advantage by means which are unacceptable. That's why they try to keep it covered up. If at any time in the last decade Sharapova's had openly declared "I take medication (for magnesium deficiency) which happens to have a tennis performance enhancing side effect" she would have been decried for cheating

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here