Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marcos Painter retires

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No i meant best game lol. I know he did it at Cardiff and you mentioned it was the best game since we have been promoted. You are probably right but i thought the Wednesday game was a cracker

Ha. That Wednesday game was fantastic, but the Cardiff one...unforgettable. Cardiff couldn't get near the ball.

I miss Gus.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Good luck Marcos - will always be remembered as a regular in that 2010/11 team who, along with the 2012/13 vintage, are starting to look like teams of the glory days about which we will surely reminisce.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs V told me that he was a regular visitor to her school for the AITC, she said he was a really nice chap who didn't mind playing second fiddle to Gully, who the kids really wanted to meet.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
The swim away is the Swan gesture (being an ex player) which is why Cardiff went mental. Most amusing.

Great pro. Dedicated pro and a rounded person. Could do with his professionalism now

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
My stand out memory was when he deputised for Bridge at an AMEX game.

Someone played a Bridgesque pass to the south stand corner flag.
Painter set off in hot pursuit, for all I know he's still running after that ball.

It was as if time was going backwards, bless him.

Good luck, and all that.

Last game he ever played for us, Wolves at home, May 2013.

I recall him that moment, he and the keeper partaking in the slowest sprint race I have ever seen, lead boots doesn't even come close :lol:

Very best of luck to him.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
He won a league title as a professional footballer playing for Brighton. For me that is legend status. Really sad to hear he has had to retire prematurely wish him all the best for the future. He will always be a part of a memorable period of Brighton's history .

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
He was excellent for us in League One. It takes some doing to play every game of a title winning season to such a high standard. Probably the best left back of the Withdean era, slightly edging out Paul Watson. Even in the Championship he was solid for us, albeit too slow. A real shame he's had to retire. Wish him all the best.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yes. When we signed Marcos it was the first time I understood the wind had changed. An established member of a promotion winning squad now playing in a higher division had chosen to come to the Albion.

It was a pleasure watching a decent player, and it always seemed, a decent man. Good luck from here Marcos.
Good, steady player for us, the start of when we started signing decent players

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. At Cardiff, when we won 3-1. This was our second game in the Championship (this time round) and I have yet to see the performance of that night matched.

On my birthday as well! Honest player, seemingly decent chap.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Gus seemed to recognise that any team looking to compete needed excellent fullbacks-Painter and Calderon were exactly that in League One.

I seem to remember Painter giving his shirt to a woman sitting in the home end at St Andrews who was getting dog's abuse from the away fans all game- anyone else recall this?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gus seemed to recognise that any team looking to compete needed excellent fullbacks-Painter and Calderon were exactly that in League One.

I seem to remember Painter giving his shirt to a woman sitting in the home end at St Andrews who was getting dog's abuse from the away fans all game- anyone else recall this?

Yes, it was his cousin. I loved Marcos, a decent hard working player who came on loan and then became part of a great squad.
The Cardiff game was very special and I was glad I was there to watch it.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I honestly thought he should have been a player of the season when we won L1. An absolute rock, if it wasn't for the fact he had all the pace of a dead slug he'd have been comfortable in the Championship too. Gutted to see he's retired. :(

He was excellent for us in League One. It takes some doing to play every game of a title winning season to such a high standard. Probably the best left back of the Withdean era, slightly edging out Paul Watson. Even in the Championship he was solid for us, albeit too slow. A real shame he's had to retire. Wish him all the best.

He just edges out Watson, mainly because Watson wasn't a Left-Back. :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here