Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
They were talking on TalkSPORT this afternoon about the possibility of a deal ..their European’expert’ stated that Barca would get a 40% cut …or did I mishear and it was 14%

I've only seen reference to 10% but even if you are right and Barca stand to get 8 million out of it, it will help but is still a long way from big news at Barcelona.

I'm changing my mind back and forth on this deal (whether true or not) the post further up from [MENTION=33845]Johnny RoastBeef[/MENTION] makes far more sense than the player paying their own release clause, in which case the leak could quite easily be just an office junior at the Spanish FA.

So now i reckon Brighton, Getafe, Cucurella and his agent will all say nothing until the deal is done, journalists will say plenty, that's their job.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
That's not how spanish release clauses work.

As long as a club deposits, to the Spanish FA, the release amount stated in the players contract, then the player is free to move.

This amount is set in stone and cannot be gazumped by another club nor declined by the players existing club.

Only the player can refuse to be transferred. But by all accounts Cucurella is keen to move to us.

Ive seen a lot of Getafe fans on Twitter complaining that its impossible to keep players when these release clauses are added. They hate it when PL clubs come sniffing around their assets

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think [MENTION=36893]London Black Cab[/MENTION] might have this right. As well as the complexities of getting this deal done, the Albion will not have wanted to unsettle Solly (and thereby create a new issue to solve). Nail down Solly and then complete on Cucurella.

Some of this leaking of info - esp in a social media age - might just be about generaing credibility and "insider" kudos. Not of use to anyone other than the "source". But as we know, being a source (even a fake one, like that boob who tried to take credit for breaking the Mwepu move) can be financially beneficial. What do clicks make? Prizes!!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Ive seen a lot of Getafe fans on Twitter complaining that its impossible to keep players when these release clauses are added. They hate it when PL clubs come sniffing around their assets
Yer really interesting to see their comments.

General concensus is that he's decent and they'd be sad to lose him.

One fan was offering to drive him to Brighton though and the future of Spanish international was bleak with him in the team as he's SHHHHHIIIIIITHOOOUSE !!!!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

They need to take it up with Getafe, its they who wrote the contract and determined the release figure.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry if already posted. Looking more and more like it’s a goer.

[TWEET]1429774242783051776[/TWEET]

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
They need to take it up with Getafe, its they who wrote the contract and determined the release figure.

It's a requirement under Spanish law, since 1985 all football contracts have a release clause, based on players wages and length of contract. It basically enables a player to buy out their contact personally (paid for by an advance by the buying club). Pre 2016 these advances were taxable so buying clubs were reluctant to do deals this way as they'd have to cover the income tax too. Since 2016 the advance has been tax exempt which is why it's now much more common to hear about these clauses.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry if already posted. Looking more and more like it’s a goer.

[TWEET]1429774242783051776[/TWEET]

Fabrizio Romano speaks....

[Tweet]1429818536604672010[/tweet]

Lots of stories appear once one big paper etc says it - ie the Spanish one. But all the same seems legit. I guess Romano is suggesting we don’t want to pay the whole lot up front like we’d need to on release clause…?

All looks like it’s going to happen though…

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sound like we are trying to do a deal without the release clause perhaps, based on spread payments or similar? Hope it doesn't alert other clubs who will offer better terms

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

It's not even Getafe they need to take it up with really, something to do with a Spanish court decision in 1985:

Although not legally obligatory, buyout clauses have become extremely common since legislation introduced in 1985 meant players could rescind their contracts unilaterally for a compensation fee decided by the courts if no buyout clause was agreed when the contract was signed.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/08/spanish-buyout-clauses-work/

So I guess Getafe, or any Spanish club, could put their foot down but it sounds like that'd just result in them not getting the player in the first place.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I read somewhere, and I'm not sure if it's true or complete bollocks, that if the release clause is paid in full there is some sort of tax applicable to the fee which would mean Getafe would effectively get less money.

I'm therefore wondering whether we are trying to make the deal more preferential for both them and us if that's the case - they seemed to be playing hard ball initially saying if the release fee isn't paid they won't let him go, but if the player has made clear he wants to leave maybe this is what the negotiations are about.

Risky strategy perhaps if we get gazumped but if we save a decent amount of cash, it could bolster our pursuit of other players?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
He’d prefer to play for us now we’re 3rd in the league. ???

A joke at this point, obviously, but I do feel like a faster start to the season may be a big help come the January transfer window. If we have a decent cushion above the relegation zone, it's gotta be easier to recruit. I've got to imagine that some potential signings have turned their nose up at the prospect of joining a relegation battle already in progress.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here