Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Andy Brassell just mentioned this deal..... in reference to Barcelona getting an 8Million Euro windfall from the sale of him to Brighton

I think you mean 1.8 million Euro sell-on fee.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hmmm, isn't is possible that they are looking to find another club who will pay more than the release clause?

We have no idea what his contract says about the possibility of more than one club meeting the figure

Can’t imagine it goes into that. You meet the release clause that’s it - it’s then down to the player surely…?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Marc Cucurella

Hmmm, isn't is possible that they are looking to find another club who will pay more than the release clause?

We have no idea what his contract says about the possibility of more than one club meeting the figure

This makes no sense to me.

I think all Spanish players have to have a release clause in their contracts.

What happens (I listen to POF pod BTW [emoji3526]) is that the buying club pays the player the fee and then the player pays the selling club.

Why would any club pay ‘over’ a release clause? I’m not sure this has ever been done?

What a rival club would do is approach Cucu’s agent direct and offer him or his client more money, not Getafe.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Can’t imagine it goes into that. You meet the release clause that’s it - it’s then down to the player surely…?

Maybe mate and I have no idea, but if it was Brighton and we were giving a contract to a promising player (who we had to give a release clause to get him to sign), it would be quite an oversight, not to put in the clause that we would give other clubs a day or two to meet or better the offer. You would want the chance of engineering a bidding war. There wouldn't be a downside to club or player to get a sentence like that in there.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Marc Cucurella

Maybe mate and I have no idea, but if it was Brighton and we were giving a contract to a promising player (who we had to give a release clause to get him to sign), it would be quite an oversight, not to put in the clause that we would give other clubs a day or two to meet or better the offer. You would want the chance of engineering a bidding war. There wouldn't be a downside to club or player to get a sentence like that in there.

Interesting article. Players can take Spanish teams to court in Spain and get released from their contract (if they pay), that is why most have a buy-out clause pre-agreed to avoid court action if things go wrong.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6970567/release-clause-la-liga-spain-arsenal-partey/amp/

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I’m sure - he said 40% sell on fee

thougt that too, but thats tough titties Getafe for signing a binding agreement.

I'm guessing they really wanted Cucurella for their plans at the time they got him and were willing to sign any old crap to get him in, and now someone has excercised that clause (there from the beginning and signed without duress or guns to head by all parties) , they dont like it and want to try and move goalposts or get more as they willingly signed shit terms.

Same with the Livaremento deal to Stains, awfully one sided towards chelsea but Stains signed it.

Exercise the clause and if Cucurella wants to come, bollocks to Getafe. They agreed to this contract

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
“nothing has changed” is a very interesting response to “Albion deposited the release fee”.

Very careful and clever wording from Mr Owen, Naylor has taught his padawan well.

Agreeing to pay the release fee if other arrangements such as Cucurella’s terms, agent fees, etc is a completely different thing to depositing the release fee which makes it sound like we’ve actually sent them the money (which we clearly have not).

No money would be paid until a medical has been completed.

Agreeing the fee is likely to have been done.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
“nothing has changed” is a very interesting response to “Albion deposited the release fee”.

Very careful and clever wording from Mr Owen, Naylor has taught his padawan well.

Agreeing to pay the release fee if other arrangements such as Cucurella’s terms, agent fees, etc is a completely different thing to depositing the release fee which makes it sound like we’ve actually sent them the money (which we clearly have not).
"Nothing has changed".

The real question is 'changed from what? or when?'.

Changed from a situation we aren't fully up to date with anyway?

The careful wording may be a direct quote from the club.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I don’t get this Getafe end theory though - they don’t want to sell him. If there’s a release cause and we hit it why would they possibly want to drum up other interest as it’s just be down to the player. Also the agent - surely Cucu would’ve know about who’s interested for ages. Could be Owen & Naylor just aren’t being told info by us - ‘no change’ is so ambiguous too.

Maybe Cucurella and his agent are aware of other interest, maybe they are saying to other interested clubs, this deal is happening, it's now or never. Maybe it's all just bollocks from some radio reporter trying to get more people listening, although she is in Barcelona so there must be better ways than reporting Barca could be getting a 1.8 million euro windfall, an amount that doesn't even scratch the surface of Barca's financial problems.

However, having said it could be the agent, if it is true (and i have no idea if it is) that the player has to buy out the release clause himself, he would be relying on Brighton to deposit that sum into his account to do so, in which case both Cucurella and his agent would (i'd imagine) also have to sign confidentiallity clauses.

Kind of brings us back to Owen/ Naylor being right imho, nothing changed.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
My guess is he's definitely coming to the Premiere League. Hopefully we'll get him but this looks like going down to the last day of the window.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

That's not how spanish release clauses work.

As long as a club deposits, to the Spanish FA, the release amount stated in the players contract, then the player is free to move.

This amount is set in stone and cannot be gazumped by another club nor declined by the players existing club.

Only the player can refuse to be transferred. But by all accounts Cucurella is keen to move to us.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That's not how spanish release clauses work.

As long as a club deposits, to the Spanish FA, the release amount stated in the players contract, then the player is free to move.

This amount is set in stone and cannot be gazumped by another club nor declined by the players existing club.

Only the player can refuse to be transferred. But by all accounts Cucurella is keen to move to us.

Exactly - so any leakage theory is rubbish unless the agents trying to see what else is out there £s wise. Likelihood is, given the huge amount of followers those Spanish press things have, it’s true and we’ve matched the release clause. Naylor and Owen won’t be told anything at this stage. So it’s happening and he’ll be signed up by Friday - that’s my guess here.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Clubs will be looking at the total cost of any deal, over the length of the contract.
It is much more beneficial to them to pay the extra money to the player rather than the other club.
Happier player, who might be resold before the end of the contract, meaning they won't have to pay the money anyway.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

If more than one club meet the clause then it would be up to the player to decide who he wanted to join.

There is no logic to any club offering more than the release clause as it doesn't guarantee them being in the driving seat with the selling club, as the choice ultimately comes down to the player and they will be paying more than they needed to if they are successful in agreeing personal terms. Once a club(s) agree to meet the release fee then the player is told and is free to negotiate with that club(s).

If anyone is trying to create an auction it's the players agent, trying to drive up interest in his client in the hope they'll be able to play two clubs off against each other when it comes to sorting the personal terms.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So it’s happening and he’ll be signed up by Friday - that’s my guess here.

Window shuts next Tuesday.

And understood re: release fee, think you're correct.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Exactly - so any leakage theory is rubbish unless the agents trying to see what else is out there £s wise. Likelihood is, given the huge amount of followers those Spanish press things have, it’s true and we’ve matched the release clause. Naylor and Owen won’t be told anything at this stage. So it’s happening and he’ll be signed up by Friday - that’s my guess here.

That's the way I sees it.

The big negative in paying a release clause is that we would be forced to pay the whole €18m in one lump.

I would imagine that even if we are resigned to paying the release figure, we would still try to negotiate staged payments with Getafe. That's probably what is holding up the deal.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Maybe Cucurella and his agent are aware of other interest, maybe they are saying to other interested clubs, this deal is happening, it's now or never. Maybe it's all just bollocks from some radio reporter trying to get more people listening, although she is in Barcelona so there must be better ways than reporting Barca could be getting a 1.8 million euro windfall, an amount that doesn't even scratch the surface of Barca's financial problems.

However, having said it could be the agent, if it is true (and i have no idea if it is) that the player has to buy out the release clause himself, he would be relying on Brighton to deposit that sum into his account to do so, in which case both Cucurella and his agent would (i'd imagine) also have to sign confidentiallity clauses.

Kind of brings us back to Owen/ Naylor being right imho, nothing changed.

They were talking on TalkSPORT this afternoon about the possibility of a deal ..their European’expert’ stated that Barca would get a 40% cut …or did I mishear and it was 14%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here