Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Marc Cucurella

Brian Owen says:-

"A report in the last few minutes suggests Albion have deposited the release fee to take Cucurella from Getafe.

I immediately checked that here and was told "nothing has changed". There is a suspicion of an attempt to use the media trying to attract other bids.

Remember Cucurella has been ruled out until the international break anyway so there is no need to rush. Whether he has been ruled out because of "niggles" or because he doesn't really want to play is being debated. I am told he is "like crazy" to come to the Premier League.

Remember, Cucurella was linked with Burnley interest recently and that was quickly shot down in East Lancs. So they are, it seems, trying to work the market. That said, I'd still expect him to come to Brighton."

“nothing has changed” is a very interesting response to “Albion deposited the release fee”.

Very careful and clever wording from Mr Owen, Naylor has taught his padawan well.

Agreeing to pay the release fee if other arrangements such as Cucurella’s terms, agent fees, etc is a completely different thing to depositing the release fee which makes it sound like we’ve actually sent them the money (which we clearly have not).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barca Times 187000 followers:

[Tweet]1429777880746274816[/Tweet]

For those questioning the length of time it takes to get these deals done, if we take this at face value:-

Barca have their hands out for 10%.
Barca also have their hands out for the next 10%.
Gatafe will want a similar deal, possibly pushing for 20%
Then a further 10% beyond that.

That's before:-

Wages.
Bonuses.
Relegation clauses.
Image rights.
Claudia's wardrobe allowance.

Then there's the agent(s).

Sure much of that is 'normal' to the likes of Barber.

But we ain't turning up in Spain with an envelope of tenners and a set of SolCal tracksuits.
Get one aspect of this deal wrong and it could cost millions.

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Very plausible. How would the twitter fella have known?

This rumour was started by this tweet, by a radio journalist in Spain. She could be legit, but equally just a mouthpiece for Getafe as Owen suggests.

[TWEET]1429772348467695617[/TWEET]

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For those questioning the length of time it takes to get these deals done, if we take this at face value:-

Wages.
Bonuses.
Relegation clauses.
Imagine rights.

But we ain't turning up in Spain with an envelope of tenners and a set of SolCal tracksuits.

Can Getafe dictate sell-ons if (effectively) Cucurella has handed over €18m to buy his own contract out? By triggering a buy-out, surely the selling club have no more rights to dictate anything like that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can Getafe dictate sell-ons if (effectively) Cucurella has handed over €18m to buy his own contract out? By triggering a buy-out, surely the selling club have no more rights to dictate anything like that?

I dunno - why you asking me?
I ain't no expert on the intricacies of Spanish employment law and how that effects the specific nature of one specific football contract.

But I've a sneaking suspicion one will be along in a second. :lol:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Wages.
Bonuses.
Relegation clauses.
Imagine rights.

Had wondered if the delay was linked to March signing a new contract and assurances being given etc on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Good news, along with Solly's new contract and Andone's imminent departure to Cadiz.

We just need Locadia out and a new striker in to replace Andone and it will have been a good window. This side has a nice balance to it:

Sanchez - Lamptey - Cucurella - Veltman - Webster - Dunk - Bissouma - Lallana - Gross - Trossard - Maupay

Who'd have thought this 2 weeks ago!............... but right now, I'd suggest that Duffy is not droppable. 2 towering displays, looked rock solid and always a chance of a goal

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Never ****ing simple - Owen and Naylor getting on my tits - even if they are correct!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
There is the possibility that all these journalists are correct.

If Brighton have agreed to the release clause, i'm pretty sure they would have insisted on confidentiallity, Getafe haven't released a statement, it's not in their interest to do so, so Naylor and Owen wont be told anything has changed.

Cucurella's agent however....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who'd have thought this 2 weeks ago!............... but right now, I'd suggest that Duffy is not droppable. 2 towering displays, looked rock solid and always a chance of a goal

Horses for courses.

There will be plenty of games for The Duffman to shine, this season.
Plenty of games requiring a bit more guile, pace and subtly for Veltman to get stuck into (when do we play Grealish again).

Poor old BDB's got to be a bit twitchy the way this season is panning out.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Andy Brassell just mentioned this deal..... in reference to Barcelona getting an 8Million Euro windfall from the sale of him to Brighton

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

If Brighton have agreed to the release clause, i'm pretty sure they would have insisted on confidentiallity, Getafe haven't released a statement, it's not in their interest to do so, so Naylor and Owen wont be told anything has changed.

I don’t get this Getafe end theory though - they don’t want to sell him. If there’s a release cause and we hit it why would they possibly want to drum up other interest as it’s just be down to the player. Also the agent - surely Cucu would’ve know about who’s interested for ages. Could be Owen & Naylor just aren’t being told info by us - ‘no change’ is so ambiguous too.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Exactly.

Getafe won’t be looking for another club to pay the SAME amount in the release clause, why should they.

However, Cucurella’s agent might well want a much bigger cut along with a higher salary for his client. The indications are that Marc wants the Premier League so I guess they are looking to flush out other clubs who’ll pay higher salaries. That rules Burnley out.

BTW, Naylor and Owen will only be moved off an amber light to a green light when this deal is 100% in the bag. Until then, ‘nothing has changed’.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don’t get this Getafe end theory though - they don’t want to sell him. If there’s a release cause and we hit it why would they possibly want to drum up other interest as it’s just be down to the player.

Because Getafe want another club to offer more than 18m?

I still think we'll get him, from everything we're seeing on this one.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Because Getafe want another club to offer more than 18m?

I still think we'll get him, from everything we're seeing on this one.

But surely if that’s the release clause it’s automatically accepted. They can’t say ‘we accept the 20mil from X but reject the 18mil euros from Y - a release clause is exactly that and that’s the price they’ll move for - it’ll all come down to the player…

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don’t get this Getafe end theory though - they don’t want to sell him. If there’s a release cause and we hit it why would they possibly want to drum up other interest as it’s just be down to the player. Also the agent - surely Cucu would’ve know about who’s interested for ages. Could be Owen & Naylor just aren’t being told info by us - ‘no change’ is so ambiguous too.

Hmmm, isn't is possible that they are looking to find another club who will pay more than the release clause?

We have no idea what his contract says about the possibility of more than one club meeting the figure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here