Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
That was a sliding doors moment. Cucu’s choice:
- giving the Albion a vast profit just 11 months later.
- Cucu getting a season’s coaching from Potter, not Dyche, improving his game.

From the full article in The Athletic it seems his desire to play for Pep was already out in the open at the training ground back in May. He and his team were fully aware of Albion’s stance on progression before he signed for us. Once the City deal began to flounder he tried to force the issue with the transfer request. Mmmm……one year into a five year deal he threw his toys out of the pram…….enjoy Chelsea Marc, but your reception at Brighton may be cooler than might have been expected earlier.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
On that note, I don't believe the business model of relying on great Recruitment will be sustainable way of keeping this club in the premier league, without buying expensive quality players.
We've had a bad history of recruitment in the past, wasting millions. Personally I think that will repeat itself again, just like any club.

You seem to be proposing a change in business model to being a net buyer of ‘expensive, quality players’ then demolishing that model as ‘we have a bad history of recruitment in the past, wasting millions.’ Seems a little inconsistent. On balance I think we should continue with the Bloom/Barber approach that has just delivered a 9th placed finish before anyone gives you a ring regarding strategy.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don’t blame Cucu for taking his opportunity. I am saddened at the club's preference, or need , for money over footballing excellence.
At the end of last season we were on the crest of a wave, 9th in the League and daring to dream of future success , even European football. Now we have lost not one but our two best players in the same transfer window.
Now we know. If the price is right we will sell anybody. Next year , I can see the South American boys being on their way if they do well, or Sanchez.. We are a selling club . We kidded ourselves that we had arrived among the big boys but we clearly have not the means to sustain it .
I see us back to bumping along the bottom of the Premier League until , one day , we are relegated. We may be the richest club in the Championship, or lower……..

That has always been the case. Last season the funds from shifting Ben White bought us Cucurella and Mwepu, that sale made us stronger, the window is open, so save your misery for a while yet, and see what Cucurella money can get us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
On that note, I don't believe the business model of relying on great Recruitment will be sustainable way of keeping this club in the premier league, without buying expensive quality players.
We've had a bad history of recruitment in the past, wasting millions. Personally I think that will repeat itself again, just like any club.
Stunning negativity. What a grim world to be in. Break free !

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Felt heavy to see him in the hideous Chelsea shirt but I can't stop myself from liking the bloke.

Not going to watch excessive amounts of Chelsea as I have frankly never liked them in the Abramovich/post-Abramovich era but I feel fairly sure he will establish himself as a top, top name very quickly and definitely be in the Spain squad for the World Cup - quite possibly as a starter unless Alba has a very good few months for Barca.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Seems Cucu’s loyalty has run its course, Chelsea shirt in the bin already!

Attachments

• 2B3592DE-A72E-417A-A6E2-AF8DBE1339D7.jpeg
    2B3592DE-A72E-417A-A6E2-AF8DBE1339D7.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 321

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Felt heavy to see him in the hideous Chelsea shirt but I can't stop myself from liking the bloke.

Not going to watch excessive amounts of Chelsea as I have frankly never liked them in the Abramovich/post-Abramovich era but I feel fairly sure he will establish himself as a top, top name very quickly and definitely be in the Spain squad for the World Cup - quite possibly as a starter unless Alba has a very good few months for Barca.

I'd much rather he'd joined City. I've disliked Chelsea for far longer than I've disliked City - and I think he'd have fitted in better there; he coud have slotted straight in and become a fans' hero, not have to scrap it out week by week to get a game on the left ahead of Chilwell and Koulibye(sp?).
I wonder if Pep's fuming too - not at us, but at his club for not backing him. I think he genuinely wanted Cucu - and City could easily have found the extra £20-£25M quid, but chose not to back their manager. Remind me - how long does Pep usually stay at a club?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'd much rather he'd joined City. I've disliked Chelsea for far longer than I've disliked City - and I think he'd have fitted in better there; he coud have slotted straight in and become a fans' hero, not have to scrap it out week by week to get a game on the left ahead of Chilwell and Koulibye(sp?).
I wonder if Pep's fuming too - not at us, but at his club for not backing him. I think he genuinely wanted Cucu - and City could easily have found the extra £20-£25M quid, but chose not to back their manager. Remind me - how long does Pep usually stay at a club?

Agree. I hate City fans since the Swansea - City game in the FA Cup, but still would have felt... more his level, and they play far better football.

I don't think Pep is fuming. Haalands agent costs probably was on the same level as the transfer fee, so they're probably spent a lot of money. Pep worked with Txiki (their Ashworth) and Ferran (their Barber) for a lot of years in Barca and City and there's never been any reports of problems, don't think there's any internal tension - just FFP problems.

Pep usually stays far longer at a club than the average manager. Four years is a long time in Barcelona, three years a pretty long time in Bayern, and six years so far in City is way above the league average.

But the ship has sailed for Cucurella to play for them. If he plays really well for Chelsea, City would have to spend at least £100m on him and I don't see that happening. At that price he is probably staying with Chelsea for a long, long time unless Barcelona somehow manages to get their shit together and buy him.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
No tweet from him to say thank you to BHA and the fans (in stark contrast to Bissouma)? The club took him out of obscurity and made him into a star, probably largely due to our coaching staff. Might have missed it but havent even seen anything to say thanks for the memories etc.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No tweet from him to say thank you to BHA and the fans (in stark contrast to Bissouma)? The club took him out of obscurity and made him into a star, probably largely due to our coaching staff. Might have missed it but havent even seen anything to say thanks for the memories etc.
He did a nice goodbye on Instagram.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here