Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I know it sounds a horrible comparison but we have to think of the youngsters as a crop. We grow them, train them and then either use them in our team and sell them on. Even the ones who don't make it into the team are being sold to lower leagues or abroad. It is how the club is becoming sustainable, and if it wasn't for covid, we wouldn't have a debt.

ALL clubs were hit with Covid. That shouldn't be used as an excuse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The difference is the successful clubs sell them on AFTER they helped them achieved success.
We are the feeder club that will never see that success.

In football, money buys success. Unless you have a few oil wells on your property, you're going to have to earn that money and success. Five year or ten year plans.

Too many fans want instant success.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I don’t blame Cucu for taking his opportunity. I am saddened at the club's preference, or need , for money over footballing excellence.
At the end of last season we were on the crest of a wave, 9th in the League and daring to dream of future success , even European football. Now we have lost not one but our two best players in the same transfer window.
Now we know. If the price is right we will sell anybody. Next year , I can see the South American boys being on their way if they do well, or Sanchez.. We are a selling club . We kidded ourselves that we had arrived among the big boys but we clearly have not the means to sustain it .
I see us back to bumping along the bottom of the Premier League until , one day , we are relegated. We may be the richest club in the Championship, or lower……..

If Cucurella didn't belive that he would be allowed to move on if a CL team wanted him and the price was right then he wouldn't have been here in the first place and neither would quite a few of our current team. We would have been relegated long ago. It is the pursuit of footballing excellence that means that we have to sell when the price and destination are right.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
On that note, I don't believe the business model of relying on great Recruitment will be sustainable way of keeping this club in the premier league, without buying expensive quality players.
We've had a bad history of recruitment in the past, wasting millions. Personally I think that will repeat itself again, just like any club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sounds to me like a ONE season, of a decent run has gone to your head.

It's a measure of success. I would say a club with our history, achieving our highest ever league position should be regarded as a huge success. Maybe it hasn't gone to your head enough?

As for your other point above, there is no other business model that keeps a club in the PL without an owner funding it. Either we have an owner that covers the loses, or we have to turn profit on players. Where else is the money coming from?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
On that note, I don't believe the business model of relying on great Recruitment will be sustainable way of keeping this club in the premier league, without buying expensive quality players.
We've had a bad history of recruitment in the past, wasting millions. Personally I think that will repeat itself again, just like any club.

So what do you think is the sustainable way?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So what do you think is the sustainable way?

Even the Championship wasn't sustainable, so I'm not sure how people think about our revenue streams. The only other model for a club like ours is financially sustained by an owner. That is the brutal reality if you think you can refuse an offer of £62m. Must be great when you're not the one covering £10m+ losses every year.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You are saying you don't trust Tony Bloom to learn from past mistakes. He has sacked people on the spot before.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

This bad history you talk of, I assume you're referring to the likes of Locadia, Andone. You cannot expect every player we buy to be developed into a a £60m windfall. On the whole, since promotion, our recruitment is right more often that it is wrong. Gross, Veltman, Welbeck, Maupay, Trossard, Webster, Bissouma etc etc.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I beg to differ.
Albions recruitment is, has been and will continue to thrive.
Young players and their agents will always be looking at the best options to get that players career started, in the respect of not sitting on a bench at the big time charlie clubs, but at the Albion, where they'll stand a better chance of game time.
I don't see or ever want my club to start wasting large amounts money on players

All in my opinion of course:thumbsup:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In football, money buys success. Unless you have a few oil wells on your property, you're going to have to earn that money and success. Five year or ten year plans.

Too many fans want instant success.

We have no option but to carry on as we do although recent sales enable us to spend. Nearly all PL league clubs have owners with unlimited supply of cash. 2 new clubs the same Fulham and seems Forest who have already spent £100m. Bournmouth owners I think are Russian so dont know how they get money out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I beg to differ.
Young players and their agents will always be looking at the best options to get that players career started, in the respect of not sitting on a bench at the big time charlie clubs, but at the Albion, where they'll stand a better chance of game time.
I don't see or ever want my club to start wasting large amounts money on players

I agree. Look at Tariq Lamptey, who didn't want to be a rich bench warmer but loves to play football.

It will be intriguing to see Lamptey v Cucurella this season.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I beg to differ.

Look at clubs like Everton and Villa hundreds of millions spent to try and bridge the gap and they are nowhere near.

The top of the league is a closed shop and our transfer policy is spot on for keeping us as competitive as we can within a sustainable budget.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

So, made a few mistakes early on learning the ropes and evolving from a lower division team, but now getting it mostly right (and in some cases fantastically right), yet you know more about what will (or won’t) work than a successful billionaire businessman and lifelong fan and his best in the business CEO. OK :lol::lol::shrug:

Must be awful being so negative

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That was a sliding doors moment. Cucu’s choice:
- giving the Albion a vast profit just 11 months later.
- Cucu getting a season’s coaching from Potter, not Dyche, improving his game.

Would have been interesting to see the parallel universe where he did end up in Burnley.

Don't think he would have been in a top club now if that was the case. The best and the worst thing about playing proper football, like Brighton, is that if a player performs well, big clubs will think "ok he could do that for us". If they perform for Burnley they'd think "ok, nice, but can he do the same in a football team?".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here