[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Perhaps JRG's range of knowedge doesn't extend to the fact that two of the players he derides were POTS in their Championship teams lst season. So, pretty damn good Championship players then.Granted, no player is guaranteed to make the step up - but neither are they guaranteed to fail.

His knowledge seems to extend no further than young Irish lads.
Maybe he's a priest?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
60+ mil we have pulled their trousers down and give em a right good spanking. Well done BHA, in light of all the homophonic comments at games we are not the ones with a sore arse this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Must be a musical lot up there at Chelsea.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I remember at the end of last season the pundits were saying do Brighton want to push on in the Premier league , it looks like after selling our best two players we don’t want to push on , I can’t see us having such a good season as last year , probably back to 40 points , but with loads of money in the bank

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I remember at the end of last season the pundits were saying do Brighton want to push on in the Premier league , it looks like after selling our best two players we don’t want to push on , I can’t see us having such a good season as last year , probably back to 40 points , but with loads of money in the bank

How much further can we push on? Our limit realistically, is challenging for Europe every few seasons, as have clubs like West Ham, Burnley, Southampton in the past (Leicester was a fluke). There is now so much money at the top end of the PL that we would never be able to break in without bankrupting ourselves.

Enjoy the heights we are at now, they won't last forever and you'll miss them when they're gone.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011

:ffsparr:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Not sure we have sold our two best players, lets see, but I would be surprised if we drop off massively on last seasons points total. Potter will find a way to make it work with the players he has.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That ‘loads of money’ isn’t in the bank, it’s offsetting the debts.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

One of the 2 sold would be leaving the following season on a free anyway as their contract ran out with zero chance of them signing a new one here.

The other's gone for a massive fee which allows us to either re-invest in other potential gems, to help fund the retention of other key players in the side 9so we don't have to trim to meet budgetary restrictions of things like FFP) or to be able to spend on other areas of the squad that may have needed attention (maybe not immediately, but it allows us to try to sign targets should the right players become available as we will have funds available)

It also means that those players may choose us over other potential destinations because they can see we potentially offer a route to some of the biggest clubs in the league and are less likely to find it hard to get game time as opportunities in the match day squad open up. (Would the chance of Nunez picking us over Benfica have increased if we had that sort of track record of helping players get moves to big clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs, he may well have still chosen Benfica, but we'd have been less of an outside bet.)

We earn about a quarter of the Champions league side from tv money and earn less than other sides were up against who also get to compete in the other European cup competitions and so by selling players for big fees, it helps us to close that gap in finances and helps enable us to compete for a better calibre of players who may otherwise have been out of our price range (if we hadn't sold Ben White for £50m, would we have been able to sign Cucurella?) or may have previously turned us down as they'd have seen us more as a dead end destination but now see us as a great option

Besides, our upturn in form and performance came when Mwepu and Caicedo started against Arsenal, as it greatly improved the balance of the team and meant we offered a threat from the centre of the pitch rather than just from the wings as we did before that tactical change. They only started playing regularly late in the season and we have a whole season ahead with them in the side, so improvement is possible (it would be interesting to see the effect they had on chances created and conversion rates)

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
My two penneth:

- Thank **** that's over with, it was getting tiresome.
- An obscene amount of money, really obscene in today's world...
- but bloody hell well done the Albion for getting it, I guess.
- Seemed a nice bloke and played well for us but didn't seem overly influential (no more so than Biss, Mwepo, Caicedo on their day).
- No great feelings about him though as it was only one season (again a massive massive fee for just ONE v good season. Quite risky for Chel$ea if it was an anomaly!).
- No bitterness either. I always felt the tears and teh heart sign were into the camera and for his family not the fans.
- Solly has been a decent enough stand in as LWB, sometimes plays a blinder but mostly solid and decent enough (especially short term).

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Not sure we have sold our two best players, lets see, but I would be surprised if we drop off massively on last seasons points total. Potter will find a way to make it work with the players he has.

Lol interested to know who you rate higher than bissouma and Cucurella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Lol interested to know who you rate higher than bissouma and Cucurella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Caicedo will be a better player than Biss, however that is not yet proven, but from what we have seen so far it looks likely. We will struggle for a better LWB than Cucurella, but I think we would miss Sanchez more. As I said, not sure we have just sold our two best players, two of our better players undoubtedly, but lets see how Mac Allister, Sarmiento, Mwepu, Caicedo, Mitoma, Trossard, Enciso, Lamptey, Undav, Kozlowski, Moder when he comes back, and even a rebuilt Welbeck get on this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports