Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some very sensitive souls on here … thought it was funny.

The club do look a bit silly, especially as Barber sat there saying nothing was agreed last night, even though it was agreed and he was having his medical at the same time !

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We’ve got the last over riding laugh though - £62.5m….

To me that’s well above what I expected, even if he is a fantastic player it’s one season and his end product did flatter to deceive at times.

He created the third most open-play chances, of any full back in the PL, lat season (after TAA and Reece James) :shrug:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whichever way you look at it. £62.5 Million is a hell of a lot of money

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He created the third most open-play chances, of any full back in the PL, lat season (after TAA and Reece James) :shrug:

I’m telling you what I saw with my eyes last season and you can’t really compare him to other full backs when he played like a very advanced left wing back for much of the season.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Last week that was only 31.25 million litres of diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I might pop over to Blue Moon in a minute for shitz and giggles

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

No he didn't, he was 23rd on the list of big chances created by defenders (obviously this includes central defenders too) last season according to the PL, and 32nd on chances created per 90 mins according to FotMob with TAA, Andrew Robertson, Lucas Dinge, Reece James and Marcos Alonso ahead of him as far as full backs go.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/47/stats/season/16390/players/total_att_assist/premier-league

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've been over to Blue Moon for a bit of schedenfreude. The wailing and gnashing of teeth continues amongst some. Whilst on there I noticed a comment from a username from round these parts, who says that selling players is a recipe for relegation. I wondered whether this is true, so took a look. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pre...n_id//altersklasse//leihe//w_s//zuab/0/plus/1

I've ignored the sales abroad, as, until Leeds sold Raphina to Barcelona this year, only teams from the big six had done this. There are 24 sales between EPL clubs in the top 100 most expensive EPL transfers. Cucu's will make it 25. Ake doesn't count as Bournemouth had been relegated to the Championship before selling him. Five of these sales are from this summer so can't be measured yet: Of the other 20, three teams were relegated in the season they made the sale. Seventeen weren't. There is an average drop for the selling team of 1.5 league places from the previous season. This average is impacted by a big outlier in Leeds who dropped ten places to 15th after selling Rio Ferdinand in 2010/11.

The only three who were relegated had all finished in the bottom six in the previous season. They were (1) Newcastle who went from 15th to 18th in 2015/16 after selling Andy Carroll. He was sold in January 2016 when they were already 18th; (2) Aston Villa who sold Christian Benteke in July 2015 and went from 17th the previous season to 20th; & (3) Swansea who dropped from 15th to 18th after selling Gylfi Sigurdsson in the summer of 2017. It seems from this that there is no evidence to support the statement that selling players is a recipe for relegation. It could perhaps be argued that selling players when you previously finished in the bottom six might be a recipe for relegation: worrying news for Everton and Leeds who are on this list having sold Richarlison and Phillips after finishing 16th and 17th respecively last year. They may be heartened by news of the only club who finished in the bottom six, sold a player on this list and avoided relegation the following year. That was Brighton & Hove Albion, who sold Benjamin White in 21/22 having finished in 16th and then climbed seven places the following season, by far the largest improvement of any club following any of the sales on this list.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If he has a shite season and hardly plays for them would we be happy to have him back? Or has he burnt his bridges

Not for me he hasn't. I would have him back like a shot. The only players I wouldn't have back are players who publicly slag off the club and fans.

Mickey Thomas comes to mind back in the day, when he slagged us off in The Sun (for money) for being too generous to him.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I've been over to Blue Moon for a bit of schedenfreude. The wailing and gnashing of teeth continues amongst some. Whilst on there I noticed a comment from a username from round these parts, who says that selling players is a recipe for relegation. I wondered whether this is true, so took a look. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pre...n_id//altersklasse//leihe//w_s//zuab/0/plus/1

I've ignored the sales abroad, as, until Leeds sold Raphina to Barcelona this year, only teams from the big six had done this. There are 24 sales between EPL clubs in the top 100 most expensive EPL transfers. Cucu's will make it 25. Ake doesn't count as Bournemouth had been relegated to the Championship before selling him. Five of these sales are from this summer so can't be measured yet: Of the other 20, three teams were relegated in the season they made the sale. Seventeen weren't. There is an average drop for the selling team of 1.5 league places from the previous season. This average is impacted by a big outlier in Leeds who dropped ten places to 15th after selling Rio Ferdinand in 2010/11.

The only three who were relegated had all finished in the bottom six in the previous season. They were (1) Newcastle who went from 15th to 18th in 2015/16 after selling Andy Carroll. He was sold in January 2016 when they were already 18th; (2) Aston Villa who sold Christian Benteke in July 2015 and went from 17th the previous season to 20th; & (3) Swansea who dropped from 15th to 18th after selling Gylfi Sigurdsson in the summer of 2017. It seems from this that there is no evidence to support the statement that selling players is a recipe for relegation. It could perhaps be argued that selling players when you previously finished in the bottom six might be a recipe for relegation: worrying news for Everton and Leeds who are on this list having sold Richarlison and Phillips after finishing 16th and 17th respecively last year. They may be heartened by news of the only club who finished in the bottom six, sold a player on this list and avoided relegation the following year. That was Brighton & Hove Albion, who sold Benjamin White in 21/22 having finished in 16th and then climbed seven places the following season, by far the largest improvement of any club following any of the sales on this list.

Yeah, but what about for clubs that have sold 2 players to other PL clubs?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You'll be pleased to know that this thread is now dead to me :bigwave: :flounce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here