Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
And sure as day leads to night, the truth lies somewhere between these two comments.

Lack of ambition is demonstrably not the case in TBs modus operandi, but, every team can always look to strengthen no matter what they last achieved. To me a left side defensive/attack minded player is the obvious position right now, SM can do a job but he is a step down from Cucurella. After that we could still improve up front as our long term forwards are not as good as we would like, and our most likely prolific forward has a lot to prove at this level. Then we could look at the midfield etc etc and onwards, you can never rest on your laurels.

We improved at LWB last year by getting MC in but it is highly unlikely we will pull off the same trick twice especially with the window "slamming shut" (C Sky Sports) in 3 weeks times. Our plan has been succession for a while. Mitouma is in all likelihood Trossards replacement when we have the same conversation on this board this time next year about where his replacement is. Whilst I am sure there are better players out there the reality is that the finished article to replace Trossard is out of our price range.

Seville tend to sell more than they buy (in value at any rate) every summer (see below). Saints have been doing similar with Mane, Bale and loads more for years. That's where we are.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-sevilla/alletransfers/verein/368

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Happy with the fee we appear to have received for Cucurella, that is a decent price and I'd imagine he'll fulfil the criteria for the extra £7m too. Slightly perplexed by the loan for Colwill, unless it turns out that we have an option to buy. That said Levi does appear to offer a short term fix whilst we look to secure an alternative left sided player.

Anyway glad that nonsense is over. Let's get on with the season!

Tony and Paul probably thought they'd be able to loan Colwill out to USG, just like the rest of the new recruits that come our way :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Every football club is a business these days. It's naive to think they aren't. An actually 'community football club in Sussex', doesn't sell its assets for multiple millions of pounds, as BHAFC seemingly does now on a semi-regular basis.

You know the window's still open, right? I would be amazed if negotiations with potential replacements aren't already underway...
...... and strangely, we've just acquired a left back!

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2719703/albion-add-imari-samuels-to-under-21-squad/

:wink: :lolol:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I find it interesting that so many of our fans think that Cucurella was the difference for us last season.
I was surprised his attacking stats were as good as they were, but ultimately they only delivered a single assist.

He definitely was an outstanding player for us and strengthened us, but in general I thought the big difference was we weren't as unlucky last season.

Admittedly the last few games was a massive step up, but prior to that I didn't think we were playing better than we had in 20/21.

I think we'll be ok without him.
I trust in Potter to play the right tactics to fit the current squad.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Hang on a minute? When this is confirmed, won’t Cucu be the most expensive left back of all time?

The highest fee I can find is 57.5 euros for Mendy ???

World record for a full back I think.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
I assume a transfer request can't specify that the player wants to transfer to a specific club, right?

Once he puts in the request, I guess he can't say "Actually I don't want to go to Chelsea, I wanted to go to City." Hope he's happy with the move, anyway, despite Chelsea seemingly being a bit of a d¡ckhead sort of place in most of recent history. At least they paid the right price.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
With March starting as LWB opens an opportunity for lamptey in a more forward role

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I assume a transfer request can't specify that the player wants to transfer to a specific club, right?

Once he puts in the request, I guess he can't say "Actually I don't want to go to Chelsea, I wanted to go to City." Hope he's happy with the move, anyway, despite Chelsea seemingly being a bit of a d¡ckhead sort of place in most of recent history. At least they paid the right price.

He can still turn down any club he wants. He's not obliged to agree a contract with Chelsea. However, as Chelsea are prepared to pay about twice what City were prepared to pay he will realise that he's never going to get a move to City. So it's go to Chelsea, get a big pay rise, play champions league football or awkwardly decide to stay with us.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He can still turn down any club he wants. He's not obliged to agree a contract with Chelsea. However, as Chelsea are prepared to pay about twice what City were prepared to pay he will realise that he's never going to get a move to City. So it's go to Chelsea, get a big pay rise, play champions league football or awkwardly decide to stay with us.

..... Have a few successful season's in the UCL - Establish himself in the National team - Get his dream move back to Barcelona

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Barber mentioned £60m losses due to covid. So this sale will cover that.

That's a good way at looking at it.

I was thinking along the lines that the sale of Two players, White and Cucu, would probably cover the initial cost of the Amex

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Wonder how comfortable Lamptey or Veltman would be on the left with the other on the right?

Appreciate it was one game but from memory Veltman was on the left of a three vs Everton and didn’t look comfortable at all, gave away a penalty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
..... Have a few successful season's in the UCL - Establish himself in the National team - Get his dream move back to Barcelona

With a sell on fee for us?? (OK maybe I am getting a little greedy :smile:)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Time to get excited about potential left backs we'll bring in, I reckon.

I agree that if the window SLAMS shut without us signing a left back then that is pretty disastrous - but we are not in that place today

We've jut signed, this morning, 19 year old Imari Samuels from Reading who is a leftback. Played for England up to U17.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here