Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ta unlike [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] I’ll take Naylor tweets over that dick agent’s mouthpiece Romano every time
I'll just wait for the official announcement from the club. I totally agree with what you say, but things can - and do - go wrong.

So, in that case, nothing is 'official' just yet.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
From the Athletic this morning:

The Athletic understands Brighton will receive an up-front sum for the left-sided Spanish defender of £56million ($68million), with the prospect of a further £7million ($8.5million) in additional clauses.

Nice, I’ve woken up then to the news that the price has risen by another million overnight. Let’s leave it until the last day of the window and see how high it goes.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
If we get £56mill upfront and £7mill in add-ons then we have absolutely rinsed Chelsea for Cucurella's maximum worth and that is a fantastic piece of business by the club. No sell on to Getafe either as we paid his release clause. The cherry on top is giving Man City a bloody nose by treating their derisory offer with the contempt it deserved. The club trousering something north of £150million in transfer fees since White left is something I am still struggling to believe.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
That is an incredible bit of business by us if true. Imagine if we'd sold him to City for £30 million :lolol:

Particularly as even his own agent thought we were being "unrealistic" after we knocked back City's £35m offer.

Great negotiation skills there, Aleix!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If we get £56mill upfront and £7mill in add-ons then we have absolutely rinsed Chelsea for Cucurella's maximum worth and that is a fantastic piece of business by the club. No sell on to Getafe either as we paid his release clause. The cherry on top is giving Man City a bloody nose by treating their derisory offer with the contempt it deserved. The club trousering something north of £150million in transfer fees since White left is something I am still struggling to believe.

It’s mind-boggling. The ‘don’t **** us about’ message it sends out to any other club sniffing around our players is very strong too - but without damaging our pledge not to stand in the way of players destined for bigger things. If our valuation is met we’ll let you go, but not otherwise.

Absolutely outstanding from Bloom and Barber.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That is an incredible bit of business by us if true. Imagine if we'd sold him to City for £30 million :lolol:

But please remember, we are not financial investment company in the City of London, we are a community football club in Sussex. A football club with a huge hole in the squad. We have no left back in the current squad.

I’ll celebrate this deal once Cucu has been replaced. The loan-child Colwill is not the answer by the way (for now).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It’s mind-boggling. The ‘don’t **** us about’ message it sends out to any other club sniffing around our players is very strong too - but without damaging our pledge not to stand in the way of players destined for bigger things. If our valuation is met we’ll let you go, but not otherwise.

Absolutely outstanding from Bloom and Barber.

Yes, but it also shows a lack of ambition to a degree because, despite the stupid amount of money coming our way, it will cost us league placings because Cucc was probably the difference last season and is probably the best LWB in the country.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes, but it also shows a lack of ambition to a degree because, despite the stupid amount of money coming our way, it will cost us league placings because Cucc was probably the difference last season and is probably the best LWB in the country.

I think we have to trust Barber and Bloom to keep the project evolving. We can’t be dependent on any one player.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

Given its cost Tony Bloom about £500M to get us to where we are now, I’d not question his ambition for wanting to plug some pretty heavy and significant losses that we have seen in the last few years

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Nope, no lack of ambition.
To get where we want to get to, we need to be generating lots of revenue from player sales.
It is the only way we can compete.

Holding on to our (current) best players until they lose their value, means that in x years we have to rebuild from scratch (See Crystal Palace).
Buying and replenishing a squad of potential £50m+ players means we can sell 2 a season and improve our squad quality season by season.

Retaining White would have strengthened our squad and we were weaker without him, but his sale got us - Cucurella/Mwepu/Undav/Mitoma/Sima/Sarmiento

We don't know what's coming next. but our track record is pretty good.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sorry can’t agree with that. It’s still early days in terms of our long term ambitions, and we can’t stop players going to a place where they will triple their wages and win stuff yet otherwise none will join us so the best we can do for now is extract maximum value when we let them go and invest that money wisely (Cucu deal will get us another 5+ hot prospects if you want to look at it that way). There’s no one player that’s the difference…….going down that route, look at our form since Caicedo was a starter, hugely influential.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No real choice Harry. We get a reputation for holding steadfast to contracts no player with the talent to match their ambition will sign more than a year at a time, all a long contract does is to guarantee financial compensation It's a shit system that guarantees the position of the wealthy clubs. We could go down the root of the Australian salary cap system, that would leave us with a choice bring it in and bring the old fist division back, or keep the money pouring in and accept the reality that only a handful of clubs are pretty much assured of their place in the league. That would then lead to a super league and the same issue of players like this being poached. At least with a super league Div One would be a more level field.

I was being facetious. There are people, some of whom post on NSC, who are disgusted that we have 'become' a selling club, with no chance of ever winning the EPL, and they are 'that close' to turning their back on The Albion, a club with no ambition.

Build a bonfire.....

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here