Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Surely there's not actually a genuine chance of him staying now, is there?

If we don’t get a couple of replacements in, I think we’d be absolutely crazy to sell him.

It’s very possible that we won’t be able to do a deal now because agents will have their eyes on the Cucu transfer fee and will want a large slice of it for their clients. That won’t happen at this club. The proposed Cucu deal may have already trashed the Colwill deal and seemingly, we’re out of the race for Destiny, Angelino and Gomez because we’re looking for value and we’re not looking to be ripped off just because the potential Cucu fee is burning a hole in our hypothetical pocket.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Surely there's not actually a genuine chance of him staying now, is there?

If Chelsea and Brighton can’t reach any agreement over Colwill, maybe. My belief (pure speculation) is that TB is keen on both deals, and therefore might prefer neither, to losing Cucu without Colwill coming the other way.

Colwill potentially gives us cover at LCB, losing Cucu without gaining Colwill potentially leaves us short at LCB and LWB.

If we complete the Cucu deal without the Colwill deal also being agreed, TB loses the leverage he has. I suspect he’s trying to make them simultaneous so Chelsea can’t move the goalposts on Colwill’s terms the second the Cucu deal is completed.

If it turns out Chelsea are dangling the “Colwill Carrot” but have no real intention of allowing Colwill to come here, that calls their bluff.

If the Chelsea deal does fall through, we could still have Cucu with us when the window SLAMS shut. I’d be happy with that TBH.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Am I the only one who hopes this all goes tits up and he stays at least another year?

Nope. 52.5m is bare minimum value IMO. And the rumour mill then suggests that we're paying 20m for an unproven youngster coming the other way. With a buy back clause no less. I think it sucks and it's barely better than what City were offering. I have no doubt that a public statement from the club saying that he's "not for sale" will see him knuckle down and continue to turn out stellar performances in order to get in to that Spain World Cup squad. People saying that we've "played a blinder" on this still have small club syndrome riddling their brains. Seriously....best outcome for me when I check this thread tomorrow morning would be a public "no **** off. he's staying" statement from the club.

It would be one of the biggest single indicators the club could make about it's ultimate ambition. We've got one of the best LCB/LB/LBWs in the country. The only real arguments I've seen here about why we should sell him when he only just signed for us and has 4 years left is that we don't want to be seem as a club that "that gets in players' way" when they want to go to a big boy club.

No. F*ck all that. We're Brighton, we're a top ten club and he's our player. Top Ten. And if we have ANY ambitions higher than that we don't start selling our best player to our ****ing RIVALS (and I include Shitty and Chelski in that definition) for peanuts.

Just no.

Rant over.

Last edited:

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Nope. 52.5m is bare minimum value IMO. And the rumour mill then suggests that we're paying 20m for an unproven youngster coming the other way. With a buy back clause no less. I think it sucks and it's barely better than what City were offering. I have no doubt that a public statement from the club saying that he's "not for sale" will see him knuckle down and continue to turn out stellar performances in order to get in to that Spain World Cup squad. People saying that we've "played a blinder" on this still have small club syndrome riddling their brains. Seriously....best outcome for me when I check this thread tomorrow morning would be a public "no **** off. he's staying" statement from the club.

Let’s walk away. We need him more than the money. Keep him and I’m really excited about the squad for this season

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk

That's what Southstandandy said wasn't?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If we don’t get a couple of replacements in, I think we’d be absolutely crazy to sell him.

It’s very possible that we won’t be able to do a deal now because agents will have their eyes on the Cucu transfer fee and will want a large slice of it for their clients. That won’t happen at this club. The proposed Cucu deal may have already trashed the Colwill deal and seemingly, we’re out of the race for Destiny, Angelino and Gomez because we’re looking for value and we’re not looking to be ripped off just because the potential Cucu fee is burning a hole in our hypothetical pocket.

Destiny, Angelino and Gomez... are we trying to form the new Spice Girls? :p

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
That's what Southstandandy said wasn't?

Yeah, pretty much. Stranger things have happened. I thought City were going to get Kane last summer and it didn't materialise. If a deal was that simple I can't help but think the clubs would have sorted it out by now, which gives me hope Cucu might stay for one more season.

If Cucu goes, he does so with my thanks, but I STILL think it is possible a move won't happen this window. We don't desperately need the money after the sale of Biss, he's arguably our best player, and I don't see him sulking and throwing his toys out of the pram if a move doesn't happen this summer.

Would love him to stay, but if he goes and TB can screw every last penny out of a potential buyer then I can live with that too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Chelsea and Brighton can’t reach any agreement over Colwill, maybe. My belief (pure speculation) is that TB is keen on both deals, and therefore might prefer neither, to losing Cucu without Colwill coming the other way.

Colwill potentially gives us cover at LCB, losing Cucu without gaining Colwill potentially leaves us short at LCB and LWB.

If we complete the Cucu deal without the Colwill deal also being agreed, TB loses the leverage he has. I suspect he’s trying to make them simultaneous so Chelsea can’t move the goalposts on Colwill’s terms the second the Cucu deal is completed.

If it turns out Chelsea are dangling the “Colwill Carrot” but have no real intention of allowing Colwill to come here, that calls their bluff.

If the Chelsea deal does fall through, we could still have Cucu with us when the window SLAMS shut. I’d be happy with that TBH.
I don't think Chelsea are fangling a 'Colwill Carrot' at all - they just want the biggest price (with conditions, probably) to offset against what they pay for Cucurella. If they can get Cucurella for what is effectively £30M plus Colwill they'll be doing celebratory cartwheels all the way down the Kings Road!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If it's all right for the Albion, he'll go and I'm quite happy to accept that, but if, IF he starts against the Barcodes I would love it :thumbsup:

Quite apart from the Andy Naylor over [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] thing :lolol:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The best bit about this entire saga is just how much control we have for once. If Bloom blew a raspberry in their faces tomorrow it's not like he couldn't sell Cucu for a huge sum at the next window or even next season.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Atilla eat your heart out
*that was for the fans forum thread!*

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If it's all right for the Albion, he'll go and I'm quite happy to accept that, but if, IF he starts against the Barcodes I would love it :thumbsup:

Quite apart from the Andy Naylor over [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] thing :lolol:

I do miss king Kev... although it’s always struck me how the background looks like an average 8 year olds bedroom ... how times have changed.

Love that passion, love it.

Ahem.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here