Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Pretty sure he only played the Lewes friendly, although there might have been the odd behind closed doors match that he might have also played.

Wouldn't have been BCD if I saw it but there weren't that many people there so may have been a reserve squad. I remember him (or someone like him) being very vocal and an obvious leader.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
On the contrary, I wish they they'd announce he was staying. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd prefer to still have him around, regardless of what has happened (which, contrary to some, no-one actually knows).

Look at Kane last season – adamant he was off, but then knuckled down and ended up having a decent season. Just because a player has put in a transfer request (for whatever reason) doesn't mean they automatically down tools and hate the club, their teammates and the fans all of a sudden.

bit of a different situation given kane was their captain and had come through the academy.

also, spurs flatly refused to sell kane. we've been open to selling cucu. kane knew he wasnt getting his move so what else was there to do? if cucu stays we then have this whole saga hanging over us all season ready to begin again when the window opens. we're gonna get offers for him every window and he's gonna push to leave us every window. he's a great player, don't get me wrong, but that's more hassle than it's worth.

tbh I don't want him anywhere near. no player is bigger than the club and it's at the point now where this is detrimental to the rest of the squad. take the money and run.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It's also a bit selective from Naylor as well, to be fair. "Brighton don't stand in the way of any member of staff bettering themselves, provided the price and timing is right for the club". Or, to put another way, Brighton do stand in the way of members of staff bettering themselves if the price or timing isn't right"

Yes. If you are operating under a fixed-term multi-million pound contract, or if your contract provides for months of gardening leave (Dan). There is nothing selective about this.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
bit of a different situation given kane was their captain and had come through the academy.

also, spurs flatly refused to sell kane. we've been open to selling cucu. kane knew he wasnt getting his move so what else was there to do? if cucu stays we then have this whole saga hanging over us all season ready to begin again when the window opens. we're gonna get offers for him every window and he's gonna push to leave us every window. he's a great player, don't get me wrong, but that's more hassle than it's worth.

tbh I don't want him anywhere near. no player is bigger than the club and it's at the point now where this is detrimental to the rest of the squad. take the money and run.

Kane was just the first example I could think of. There must be HUNDREDS of other players who have been in that situation, not got their 'dream move' and got on with doing what they do best at the club they were at originally. Although, if you believe HK, there was that 'gentleman's agreement – "we shook hands", according to him – that Levy apparently went back on. So clearly, according to Kane, they DIDN'T flatly refuse to sell him. Another example of how we don't REALLY know what goes on in these situations.

At the end of the day it's about the player's reaction – regardless of how long they'd been at the club, what negotiations happen (or don't), whether they are bit-part player or captain, etc, etc. MC will go if/when the price, conditions and everything else is right. But, for now, he's a BHAFC player and I would expect him to be professional and perform as he did last season :shrug:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011

I will be more than happy if is playing for us in September. I reckon the time to become a hater is when GP has had enough and calls him out for being a massive cock-womble, until such a time I am team Cucu.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
On the contrary, I wish they they'd announce he was staying. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd prefer to still have him around, regardless of what has happened (which, contrary to some, no-one actually knows).

Look at Kane last season – adamant he was off, but then knuckled down and ended up having a decent season. Just because a player has put in a transfer request (for whatever reason) doesn't mean they automatically down tools and hate the club, their teammates and the fans all of a sudden.

This. I think this would be the best outcome. Doesn't look likely but we're not going to be pushed around by these football operating lightweights (this is what Chelsea currently are compared to us despite their millions). Every day that passes is good news but sure we won't keep him around if he is sulking which I hope (and doubt) he is.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Kane was just the first example I could think of. There must be HUNDREDS of other players who have been in that situation, not got their 'dream move' and got on with doing what they do best at the club they were at originally. Although, if you believe HK, there was that 'gentleman's agreement – "we shook hands", according to him – that Levy apparently went back on. So clearly, according to Kane, they DIDN'T flatly refuse to sell him. Another example of how we don't REALLY know what goes on in these situations.

At the end of the day it's about the player's reaction – regardless of how long they'd been at the club, what negotiations happen (or don't), whether they are bit-part player or captain, etc, etc. MC will go if/when the price, conditions and everything else is right. But, for now, he's a BHAFC player and I would expect him to be professional and perform as he did last season :shrug:

Lewis Dunk and Dale Stephens, although I don't think they were dream moves both carried on, Dale was an important part of the team that got promoted and then stayed in the PL and Dunk has become a club legend. If Cucurella stays then he'll have my full backing. It's very unlikely he'll sulk if the move doesn't come off, the best way to get the move in the future for him is to continue performing how he did last season.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I would of agreed with you had he not submitted a transfer request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I (like 99%of people who have posted on this thread!) am no expert on all of this; but I am sure I read somewhere about 100 posts back that if he puts in a transfer request he is not due some sort of payment (retention??) so this actually helps the club.

So by putting in a transfer request when there's a prospect of a move, this might actually be a supportive act towards the club in the circumstances - after all the transfer request didn't appear to come out of the blue, only about the same time Citeh put in their first (measly imho) bid.

But....who knows.... certainly none of us I suspect!!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Lewis Dunk and Dale Stephens, although I don't think they were dream moves both carried on, Dale was an important part of the team that got promoted and then stayed in the PL and Dunk has become a club legend. If Cucurella stays then he'll have my full backing. It's very unlikely he'll sulk if the move doesn't come off, the best way to get the move in the future for him is to continue performing how he did last season.

Barcelona is Cucu’s dream move. Man City for him are the equivalent of Leeds for Ben White, who played the long game in getting his dream move to Arsenal. I don’t think people should rule out him staying with us for another season before realizing the dream next Summer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would of agreed with you had he not submitted a transfer request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I remember rightly from the Calde going to talk to Southampton incident, in Spain the system is slightly different, in that players are allowed to talk to other clubs, before an offer is accepted. I may be misremembering it, but I think that's where his mix up came, and he found out Southampton's offer wasn't as good as ours.

Anyone else remember similar?

el punal

If Cucurella stays then he'll have my full backing. It's very unlikely he'll sulk if the move doesn't come off, the best way to get the move in the future for him is to continue performing how he did last season.

Exactly! Throw a strop and all your toys out of the pram then no-one will touch you. Be professional with 100% commitment and other clubs will take notice.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I see Chelsea have just announced Azpilicueta has signed a new contract rather than leaving for Barcelona as predicted.

I'd have thought they'd be happy to let him go ages ago if they have any sort of aspirations to challenge for titles etc. Such an average player, along with his countryman Marcos Alonso.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quite happy if he stays……..whilst City and Chelsea fans (at least) will slate Bloom massively if he does about ‘overpricing’, holding him back etc etc, I’d have no worries at all about Cucu knuckling down and getting on with playing. He’ll know that a big money move will happen soon enough. Would love him to publicly sack his agent though.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

No doubt I'll be called a disgusting xenophobic ******* for this, but British players tend to have a better record than European or South American players do at knuckling down and carrying on without sulking when they don't get the move they wanted!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Quite happy if he stays……..whilst City and Chelsea fans (at least) will slate Bloom massively if he does about ‘overpricing’, holding him back etc etc, I’d have no worries at all about Cucu knuckling down and getting on with playing. He’ll know that a big money move will happen soon enough. Would love him to publicly sack his agent though.

Why would he sack his agent when he’s just doing what his client wants?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Surely there's not actually a genuine chance of him staying now, is there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here