Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That’s true and I have acknowledged that a few times. City fans on Blue Moon are just barking mad though and it is a very enjoyable read. The latest nonsense they are spouting is about briefings to the press and unprofessional behaviour by BHA. I even saw one suggesting our directors have been laughing at them in the board room. I think perhaps the joke by [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] earlier in the thread was taken as fact ! The reality is that none of this happened. We named a price that would signal the beginning of negotiations and Man City didn’t bid it. That’s it really and we will either sell him to a different club or keep him.

Surely not. If even one berk on Blue Moon has taken that terrible back of a fag packet satire seriously they're madder than Mad Jock McMad

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
If they really have bid £63m for Fofana, as good as he is, then IMO we're well within our rights to ask for £60m for Cucurella - a currently better player who can play in more than one position and is not coming off the back of a serious injury.

That's the problem with Chelsea's current scatter-gun transfer policy, they're coming at negotiations from a real position of weakness.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Never heard of the Paul Holsgrove story (whoosh?) but Virgo to Celtic gobsmacked me at the time. Beeney was a very good keeper, Saunders and Nogan good goalscorers (although NoGoals Nogan was on a drought, after a previous splendid scoring run, when sold). But Virgo to Celtic at that fee was extraordinary.

Holsgrove only ever played one friendly for us. He was released by Stoke at the end of the season. Brian Horton became aware and signed him, Then almost immediately sold him to Hibs for £100k. Circa 1999?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Holsgrove only ever played one friendly for us. He was released by Stoke at the end of the season. Brian Horton became aware and signed him, Then almost immediately sold him to Hibs for £100k. Circa 1999?

I was there - Stamco I believe

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Barcelona have just signed Kounde from Sevilla for €55m on a 5 year deal, and have put a €1 BILLION (£840m) release clause in his contract. A billion euros. :ohmy:

After this whole tedious saga, I wonder if Tony will consider putting a hefty release clause in on promising new signings, to keep the timewasters and tyre-kickers like City away.

I think in Spain that release clauses are mandatory in player contracts hence the high sum

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Has he gone yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOPE. He's staying. But we're still paying his wages, he's not allowed to attend training, he won't be playing for us and we won't receive a penny of the 50-60m we thought was on offer.

As everyone suggested, we are in the driving seat, hold all the cards and we are in a win/win situation.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I’m all fairness I’m sick to death of the whole saga. Just wish they would announce he gone. We can then move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hmm. Memory may be playing tricks.

Or maybe not. This is what Horton says

"£70,000 seemed a lot of money to Dick Knight but I thought we could get more and turned Alex down. Paul had a few pre-season fixtures when McLeish came back again and we settled on £113,000, which was considerably more than my salary. I had effectively paid for myself."

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I’m all fairness I’m sick to death of the whole saga. Just wish they would announce he gone. We can then move on.

On the contrary, I wish they they'd announce he was staying. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd prefer to still have him around, regardless of what has happened (which, contrary to some, no-one actually knows).

Look at Kane last season – adamant he was off, but then knuckled down and ended up having a decent season. Just because a player has put in a transfer request (for whatever reason) doesn't mean they automatically down tools and hate the club, their teammates and the fans all of a sudden.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Or maybe not. This is what Horton says

"£70,000 seemed a lot of money to Dick Knight but I thought we could get more and turned Alex down. Paul had a few pre-season fixtures when McLeish came back again and we settled on £113,000, which was considerably more than my salary. I had effectively paid for myself."

Pretty sure he only played the Lewes friendly, although there might have been the odd behind closed doors match that he might have also played.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think in Spain that release clauses are mandatory in player contracts hence the high sum

They are a requirement under Spanish Law. They have been required since 1985 and are meant to give the player the right to buy out his contract. Obviously a player cannot afford to buy out the contract in a majority of cases so it is paid for by the club that wants to buy him and becomes the transfer fee.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
On the contrary, I wish they they'd announce he was staying. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd prefer to still have him around, regardless of what has happened (which, contrary to some, no-one actually knows).

Look at Kane last season – adamant he was off, but then knuckled down and ended up having a decent season. Just because a player has put in a transfer request (for whatever reason) doesn't mean they automatically down tools and hate the club, their teammates and the fans all of a sudden.

Exactly, put in some MOTM performances and for us and I'm sure he'll get in the Spain squad and all will be forgiven.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011

I would of agreed with you had he not submitted a transfer request.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here