[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's also a bit selective from Naylor as well, to be fair. "Brighton don't stand in the way of any member of staff bettering themselves, provided the price and timing is right for the club". Or, to put another way, Brighton do stand in the way of members of staff bettering themselves if the price or timing isn't right"

Lucky you’re not in charge of transferring dealings at the Albion is all I can say :smile:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's also a bit selective from Naylor as well, to be fair. "Brighton don't stand in the way of any member of staff bettering themselves, provided the price and timing is right for the club". Or, to put another way, Brighton do stand in the way of members of staff bettering themselves if the price or timing isn't right"

More "hold to their contract" than "stand in the way of" to be absolutely fair to bhafc.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

I found this take on the City situation laughable it has hardly been a closely guarded secret we wanted north of £50m!!

https://twitter.com/city_xtra/status/1555090025406255104?s=21&t=5qyAKHxU_j67RIsvkAi2TQ

As for City trying to act like some innocent party being bullied by greedy Brighton we know your transfer tactics it’s a well trodden path seen with Kane and even as they report themselves with another LB target this window

https://twitter.com/city_xtra/status/1552686204633714690?s=21&t=5qyAKHxU_j67RIsvkAi2TQ

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I would say that's rather more selective than Naylor's tweet, TBH.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think we are forgetting the huge amount the club is in the red plus the current financial strife the nations in plus I imagine the reductions in season ticket sales £100 million might be helping fund the short fall incurred.

The club policy appears to be buy cheap develop sell move forward

I think our man Cucurella needs a new agent after this.

Reckon? Got him out of Barca reserves and into Getafes first team, quickly moved him onto the Premier league shop window, and within a season he's got two of the biggest clubs in the world trying to buy him and he'll soon be playing in the CL and possibly World Cup. All by the time he's 24. Pretty impressive, I'd have him as my agent if I was any good.

I have to say that Cucu is a pretty impressive young man. Clearly very ambitious and driven to get to the top. Has the talent and the work ethic to back it up. Never let us down on the pitch, very popular in the team by all accounts. Has set up a football academy, had a great rapport with the fans. He's driven to better himself and take opportunities where they arise, and the transfer request can be seen in that light, removing a claim on bonuses to help ease his move and taking pressure off Bloom to hold onto our stars. If City hadn't lowballed us it wouldn't have even be necessary, or become public. And I have no doubt if he ultimately stays he will carry on being the professional just like Dunk and Stephens were in similar situations.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Reckon? Got him out of Barca reserves and into Getafes first team, quickly moved him onto the Premier league shop window, and within a season he's got two of the biggest clubs in the world trying to buy him and he'll soon be playing in the CL and possibly World Cup. All by the time he's 24. Pretty impressive, I'd have him as my agent if I was any good.

That was the agent and not the player? We should sign him up then.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Spurs Express
[MENTION=37204]the[/MENTION]SpursExpress
🥇| Brighton have failed with a move for #Tottenham’s Sergio Reguilón.
[MENTION=26624]Jacob[/MENTION]Steinberg

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's certainly going to make MOTD a lot more watchable this season, seeing how all our former players perform for their new or newish clubs

We are actually likely to have fewer ex players on MOTD this season now that Burnley and Norwich have been relegated. Even if we do sell Cucurella.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The Spurs Express
[MENTION=37204]the[/MENTION]SpursExpress
🥇| Brighton have failed with a move for #Tottenham’s Sergio Reguilón.
[MENTION=26624]Jacob[/MENTION]Steinberg
Confirms what the Guardian reported last night- that we’d failed in bids for he and a Porto LB. Seems pretty clear we are trying to tie a LWB done before the Chelsea deals are completed.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I would say that's rather more selective than Naylor's tweet, TBH.

True though. We don't stand in the way, except in cases of a,b, etc. Its also the right thing for us to do. Not standing in the way is accepting 42m for Kalvin Phillips, or Saints selling Mane for 30m.

We stand in the way all the time, Stephens, Dunk, Bridcutt, White to Leeds, Ashworth gardening leave, Vicentes option, loads of youngsters on loan after loan, and who knows who else. Rumoured interest in loads of our players and in seven or eight seasons only significant sales are Biss in last year of deal, White for a huge offer and Burn to go home to Newcastle. All been to our benefit, and in most cases, for their benefit as well.

Last edited:

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
Confirms what the Guardian reported last night- that we’d failed in bids for he and a Porto LB. Seems pretty clear we are trying to tie a LWB done before the Chelsea deals are completed.

i dont think the club would be buying established first teamers like Reguilón from top 6 clubs, wages will be too high. Youth/development players maybe, but not first team/squad.

Last edited:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Amazing to think that 29 years ago the sale of Mark Beeney to Leeds for £350k just about kept us afloat and alive, and here we are arranging our 2nd player sale for £50m plus.

How times have changed :

"To Premier League Brighton & Hove Albion, £350,000 is nothing. The Seagulls will happily splash that on a 16-year-old from Siberia on the off-chance that he might turn out to be good enough to loan to Newport County. It’s a far cry from 1993, when a £350,000 transfer fee received from Leeds United for goalkeeper Mark Beeney prevented Brighton from being liquidated.

‘The most important save in Brighton history’ was how it was described at the time. Yet this pivotal moment in the Albion’s existence often gets forgotten; hardly a surprise given that a much a bigger problem eclipsed it two years later."

Having to sell a goalkeeper to pay the taxman is bad, but it pales into comparison to Bill Archer removing the clause which prevented any individual keeping the club’s assets if it went out of business, selling the Goldstone Ground, pocketing the profits and then trying to drive the club into the grave.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Amazing to think that 29 years ago the sale of Mark Beeney to Leeds for £350k just about kept us afloat and alive, and here we are arranging our 2nd player sale for £50m plus.

How times have changed :

"To Premier League Brighton & Hove Albion, £350,000 is nothing. The Seagulls will happily splash that on a 16-year-old from Siberia on the off-chance that he might turn out to be good enough to loan to Newport County. It’s a far cry from 1993, when a £350,000 transfer fee received from Leeds United for goalkeeper Mark Beeney prevented Brighton from being liquidated.

‘The most important save in Brighton history’ was how it was described at the time. Yet this pivotal moment in the Albion’s existence often gets forgotten; hardly a surprise given that a much a bigger problem eclipsed it two years later."

Having to sell a goalkeeper to pay the taxman is bad, but it pales into comparison to Bill Archer removing the clause which prevented any individual keeping the club’s assets if it went out of business, selling the Goldstone Ground, pocketing the profits and then trying to drive the club into the grave.

Where's that taken from, Andy?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

How times have changed :

Ditto Adam Virgo to Celtic for £1.5m in 2005 when we were really down on our uppers. Deal probably kept the club afloat at that time. Big cheers to Mark McGhee and Gordon Strachan for the nod and the wink and delivering us that lifeline :bowdown:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I found this take on the City situation laughable it has hardly been a closely guarded secret we wanted north of £50m!!

https://twitter.com/city_xtra/status/1555090025406255104?s=21&t=5qyAKHxU_j67RIsvkAi2TQ

As for City trying to act like some innocent party being bullied by greedy Brighton we know your transfer tactics it’s a well trodden path seen with Kane and even as they report themselves with another LB target this window

https://twitter.com/city_xtra/status/1552686204633714690?s=21&t=5qyAKHxU_j67RIsvkAi2TQ

They're being 'bullied' by another club now. Poor Man City, my heart bleeds for them. :cry:

[tweet]1555114116112605185[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports