[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For all the criticism of City's approach, this seems like a very sensible way to do business to me.

It is. But their ‘valuation’ is probably based on their FFP wiggle room rather than the market rate. They’ve paid much more than £40m for full backs in the past.
The market rate for Cucueralla (a fee Chelsea have seemingly agreed to pay) has been set by us, not them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What we all think is being led by rumour. According to Springal’s quote above Cucurella is ‘desperate to work with Guardiola.’ Now, I have no idea if that is bullshit or not but if it isn’t (big ‘if’) then that would be disrespectful to a club that has given him a five year contract. Man City and Chelsea would probably do well to stop conducting their negotiations through the media as it’s doing themselves and the player no favours. For my part I am holding nothing against our left back. He is the best in his position in the division and I am looking forward to seeing him play on Sunday at Old Trafford.

Even if he isn't sold, I doubt very much if he would play for us on Sunday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I,m a few miles due east of La Rochelle, but 37 degrees yesterday, today will be 36, followed by 30,30, 32, 33 , 34, 34, 35, 35, 35....!

Just about had enough of it to be truthful...too hot to even go in the hot tub during the day. Hope it cools down a bit before your holiday ( ?), but whatever...hope you enjoy it. It,s a nice area.

We love the Vendee region, and holiday there every year. We also have friends who live in Mauze sur le Mignon.

Sorry, back on topic.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
@aleixpique

When you look at Cucu’s Instagram account it appears that he and his agent are good friends. ( the agent was with Cucu on the pitch at the end of the last game of last season). It does also appear that Cucu is his only client and I expect that he’s keen to acquire more.
On the reported £52.5m bid, I can see that being correct, or very close to it. I think there was a strong desire to make this our biggest sale, and if correct it appears to be bigger than the fee that was required to capture Ben White.
The leaking of info to Fab, has instigated our own media narrative and that goes against our usual approach but it seems as if it was necessary this time.
Good to see us playing hard ball so well, although hardly surprising!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interesting from the Man City Athletic reporter;

‘Sources close to Cucurella, and influential ones at City, believed a deal would be feasible up until the end of last week.

The 24-year-old had been desperate to work with Guardiola and did not entertain Brighton’s offer of a new contract. Any doubts about his intentions were dispelled when he handed in a transfer request, a severe move that few players resort to.’

Also as I suggested - Man City go into a bid with a top price that they absolutely won’t break, and for Marc that was £40M hence they’ve walked away

[tweet]1555103638934228992[/tweet]

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It is. But their ‘valuation’ is probably based on their FFP wiggle room rather than the market rate. They’ve paid much more than £40m for full backs in the past.
The market rate for Cucueralla (a fee Chelsea have seemingly agreed to pay) has been set by us, not them.

Don't see why that matters. They tried to get a bargain (let's not forget Cucu has had one good season in the Premier League, so £40 million still isn't exactly cheap!) and weren't prepared to pay over the odds, so they didn't. It sounds pretty similar to the way we operate really. Compare that to Chelsea who just came along and threw silly money at it, which is exactly the opposite of what we would do - I'm not sure why City got the stick they did for their approach when Chelsea didn't.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Wouldn’t that be good ! If a top 6 club had the class to conduct negotiations entirely in private with the deal announced once both sides happy. Chelsea and Man City could then slink off and try their tacky media pressure negotiating tactics on someone else.

Indeed it would. However, I'm sure you spotted that my remark was the politest way possible to suggest that anyone who thinks he's playing for us on Sunday is nicely deluded!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am not sure why they haven’t closed the Cucurella thread on Blue Moon. Most of them don’t think he is worth the sale price and bizarrely they seem to be forming a view on our negotiating stance from some Twitter account called ‘city extra.’ Lots of the numpties reading that and assuming it to be a true reflection of Tony’s thoughts. Like Leeds fans many don’t understand the concept of a player not being sold unless the asking price is paid. Really, really weird although I do understand that the kids on that site are probably not a reflection of Man City’s proper fans.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Latest events being dissected right now on White & Jordan

Hopefully they've dispensed with that irritating and ill informed Sinclair?

I feel a bit dirty saying it but I often find myself nodding in agreement with Jordan

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I feel a bit dirty saying it but I often find myself nodding in agreement with Jordan

Sinclair normally only Wednesday’s….from next week Tuesdays ..re SJ i find myself agreeing with him almost always :moo:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Thank goodness Sinclair isn’t in

Yeah nobody else in the studio today thankfully. Sinclair is an absolute helmet.

How Agbonlahore gets a job there also baffles me. Talk about stealing a living.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Do people actually tune into talkshite?

I get all my sport related truth from Dave offa Twitter.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hang on a sec - Bissouma respected the contract he signed. Cucurella signed a 5 year deal a year ago, and now wants out! By putting in a transfer request he's basically downed tools - just a week before the start of the season. I loved watching Cucurella - and he seems like a really nice guy - but I can't help feeling he and/or his agent could have handled this much better.

And how often to do you criticise the club when they sell a player before his contract is up? You can't have it both ways. You really see putting in a transfer request as downing tools?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I am not sure why they haven’t closed the Cucurella thread on Blue Moon. Most of them don’t think he is worth the sale price and bizarrely they seem to be forming a view on our negotiating stance from some Twitter account called ‘city extra.’ Lots of the numpties reading that and assuming it to be a true reflection of Tony’s thoughts. Like Leeds fans many don’t understand the concept of a player not being sold unless the asking price is paid. Really, really weird although I do understand that the kids on that site are probably not a reflection of Man City’s proper fans.

the biggest problem ive found with the way city fans viewed this from the start is they came at it from the viewpoint that the player was "up for sale" and we were under pressure to get it done. starting to see the same with Chelsea now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports