[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How odd....I often thought you were one of the more aware posters.

We all know that agents are tapped up by clubs before official bids are made. We all know that stories start in the tabloids at the behest of clubs, agents and players.

If you want to believe none of these things happened with Declan Rice, then fine.

Declan Rice won't sign a new contract with WHU which runs out in 2024, he is only 23, a full international player and getting European football in a side that has been competing for top 4 for the past 2 seasons. If rumours are to be believed, he has 'apparently' agreed a gentlemens agreement to give WHU one more year, he'll be 24, then will get his big move to MU / Chelsea next summer and WHU won't stand in his way, He's been at WHU since 14, London born, he is emotionally invested in WHU. It really is a different context to a foreign player who has only just arrived in England, been a great success to everyone's surprise and has these offers on the table.

p.s. what is the weather like in La Rochelle, we're down that way back end of next week.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hang on a sec - Bissouma respected the contract he signed. Cucurella signed a 5 year deal a year ago, and now wants out! By putting in a transfer request he's basically downed tools - just a week before the start of the season. I loved watching Cucurella - and he seems like a really nice guy - but I can't help feeling he and/or his agent could have handled this much better.

Nope.

Long contracts improve a player’s value. Long contracts are no guarantee of being adhered to.
Ben White signed a 4 year contract but knew he would be sold when the price was right.
Bissouma only had one year left and was sold for a lot less.

This. A long deal simply means a higher price if a bigger fish comes knocking at the door. It is nothing to do with loyalty, those days ended about the time the PL started. Had Bissouma signed a longer contract, then we would have received a far greater fee for him, why is no-one angry about that?

There are probably situations like this when we buy players from elsewhere, just that they are more under the radar. I think that if the social media element were taken away from this a lot of people wouldn't feel the resentment and anger towards Cucarella, but just simply be a bit sad that he's going after a particularly fine season where he showed what a classy player he is.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Good work from this Albion fan...

Capture.JPG

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Nope.

This. A long deal simply means a higher price if a bigger fish comes knocking at the door. It is nothing to do with loyalty, those days ended about the time the PL started. Had Bissouma signed a longer contract, then we would have received a far greater fee for him, why is no-one angry about that?

There are probably situations like this when we buy players from elsewhere, just that they are more under the radar. I think that if the social media element were taken away from this a lot of people wouldn't feel the resentment and anger towards Cucarella, but just simply be a bit sad that he's going after a particularly fine season where he showed what a classy player he is.

But that’s all BHA are asking for and all most fans have talked about. The fact remains that if these big fish aren’t prepared to offer the high price that the club is asking then Cucurella goes nowhere precisely because of the long contract. They do mean something. In fact they mean everything and are the only way of securing that high price.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

Interesting from the Man City Athletic reporter;

‘Sources close to Cucurella, and influential ones at City, believed a deal would be feasible up until the end of last week.

The 24-year-old had been desperate to work with Guardiola and did not entertain Brighton’s offer of a new contract. Any doubts about his intentions were dispelled when he handed in a transfer request, a severe move that few players resort to.’

Also as I suggested - Man City go into a bid with a top price that they absolutely won’t break, and for Marc that was £40M hence they’ve walked away

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Long contracts improve a player’s value. Long contracts are no guarantee of being adhered to.
Ben White signed a 4 year contract but knew he would be sold when the price was right.
Bissouma only had one year left and was sold for a lot less.

Hang on a sec - Bissouma respected the contract he signed. Cucurella signed a 5 year deal a year ago, and now wants out! By putting in a transfer request he's basically downed tools - just a week before the start of the season. I loved watching Cucurella - and he seems like a really nice guy - but I can't help feeling he and/or his agent could have handled this much better.

But that’s all BHA are asking for and all most fans have talked about. The fact remains that if these big fish aren’t prepared to offer the high price that the club is asking then Cucurella goes nowhere precisely because of the long contract. They do mean something. In fact they mean everything and are the only way of securing that high price.

I agree with you, my point is more addressing the large minority of posters who seem to think that Cucarella is somehow being disloyal and is a bad actor in this simply as he signed a 5 year contract.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Declan Rice won't sign a new contract with WHU which runs out in 2024, he is only 23, a full international player and getting European football in a side that has been competing for top 4 for the past 2 seasons. If rumours are to be believed, he has 'apparently' agreed a gentlemens agreement to give WHU one more year, he'll be 24, then will get his big move to MU / Chelsea next summer and WHU won't stand in his way, He's been at WHU since 14, London born, he is emotionally invested in WHU. It really is a different context to a foreign player who has only just arrived in England, been a great success to everyone's surprise and has these offers on the table.

p.s. what is the weather like in La Rochelle, we're down that way back end of next week.

I,m a few miles due east of La Rochelle, but 37 degrees yesterday, today will be 36, followed by 30,30, 32, 33 , 34, 34, 35, 35, 35....!

Just about had enough of it to be truthful...too hot to even go in the hot tub during the day. Hope it cools down a bit before your holiday ( ?), but whatever...hope you enjoy it. It,s a nice area.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting from the Man City Athletic reporter;

‘Sources close to Cucurella, and influential ones at City, believed a deal would be feasible up until the end of last week.

The 24-year-old had been desperate to work with Guardiola and did not entertain Brighton’s offer of a new contract. Any doubts about his intentions were dispelled when he handed in a transfer request, a severe move that few players resort to.’

Also as I suggested - Man City go into a bid with a top price that they absolutely won’t break, and for Marc that was £40M hence they’ve walked away

Interesting that this person seems to know about a contract offer that has only one way of being leaked, and it isn't the club.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I agree with you, my point is more addressing the large minority of posters who seem to think that Cucarella is somehow being disloyal and is a bad actor in this simply as he signed a 5 year contract.

What we all think is being led by rumour. According to Springal’s quote above Cucurella is ‘desperate to work with Guardiola.’ Now, I have no idea if that is bullshit or not but if it isn’t (big ‘if’) then that would be disrespectful to a club that has given him a five year contract. Man City and Chelsea would probably do well to stop conducting their negotiations through the media as it’s doing themselves and the player no favours. For my part I am holding nothing against our left back. He is the best in his position in the division and I am looking forward to seeing him play on Sunday at Old Trafford.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Cucurella would be the most-expensive outfield Spanish player of all-time...

From Marca...

Most expensive Spanish players of all time (prices in Euros)
Kepa Arrizabalaga18/19 Chelsea FC 80
Marc Cucurella 22/23 Chelsea FC 68 - ??
Alvaro Morata 17/18 Chelsea FC 66
Aymeric Laporte 17/18 Manchester City 65
Rodrigo 19/20 Manchester City 62.7
Fernando Torres 2010/11 Chelsea FC 58.5
Ferran Torres 21/22 FC Barcelona 55
Diego Costa 17/18 Atletico Madrid 50
Gaizka Mendieta 2001/02 SS Lazio 48
Juan Mata 13/14 Manchester United 44.73

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What we all think is being led by rumour. According to Springal’s quote above Cucurella is ‘desperate to work with Guardiola.’ Now, I have no idea if that is bullshit or not but if it isn’t (big ‘if’) then that would be disrespectful to a club that has given him a five year contract. Man City and Chelsea would probably do well to stop conducting their negotiations through the media as it’s doing themselves and the player no favours. For my part I am holding nothing against our left back. He is the best in his position in the division and I am looking forward to seeing him play on Sunday at Old Trafford.

Led by rumour. I prefer to look at the rumours and suspend judgement either for the time being, or permanently as I am unlikely ever to know the ins and outs of what's happened or been said. If Cucurella grew up in a Barcelona team and knows Pep, why shouldn't he express a desire to work with him again? And express it strongly. If he did then I'm sure he didn't expect his agent or someone else to blab it to the nation. Players are usually pawns of agents, I think the problem is the agents and then any scraps of info are seized upon by people like Romano and endlessly regurgitated by fools on Twitter. All this magnifies the feeling of dissatisfaction.

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

I think you'll find at the bottom of the barrel, Cucu agent in amongst the sludge too, giving bits to the bottom feeders (Romano and the rest of the Twitterazzi).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

For all the criticism of City's approach, this seems like a very sensible way to do business to me.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You could appear less judgemental and substitute 'discussing' for 'guessing' - but hey ho, whatever. This is a football discussion forum after all.

The way some posts are written, people seem to know the exact ins and outs of the deal. I'll settle for 'assuming'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports