Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am a little uncomfortable about the idea that the club is holding this deal over Chelsea's head to get what they want with the Colwill deal.

To me they are either part of the same deal or they or not. It smacks a little of having one's cake and eating it. I also worry that if it goes wrong and Cucu goes nowhere we will have a very unhappy player on our hands. Quite rightfully as well IMHO, his move should not be scuppered because of a separate deal, that's not fair.

Of course this may not be what is happening.

I’m not sure why that would cause discomfort. Chelsea have approached us to buy a player we want to keep. One who is contracted for five years. If they want to do the deal they need to give us what we want. If they don’t want to do the deal that’s fine as well. If the player didn’t want to be in a situation where he might not be able to move this Summer then he shouldn’t have accepted the offer of five guaranteed years of income. He should only have accepted a one year contract or stayed at Getafe. Contracts work two ways. You can’t blame Tony for using his negotiating hand when everyone else in this equation is doing exactly that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed. Hindsight is a great skill, but it would have been better, at least from a PR perspective, for him/his agent to maintain their dignity and not slap in a transfer request. That way, you don't burn your bridges. As soon as they did that, they set the hare running, and lost any control they might have had. The city hound has since pulled up lame, and I sense the Chelsea hound is starting to run out of puff.

Did Dunk burn his bridges? He even refused to play one game (if reports can be believed)
The club refused to sell him to a rival, Dunk was offered a new contract and stayed. In some peoples’ eyes, that’s akin to blackmail.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I agree, this buy back stuff is utter BS, basically making this a glorified loan. If we want Colwill, we should want him to be our player, not a player we develop for Chelsea because they cannot be bothered to do it.

I was going to make a similar point about them being loans. Worse than that it is a way of getting round the rules on loans. These deals need to be explicitly banned.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m not sure why that would cause discomfort. Chelsea have approached us to buy a player we want to keep. One who is contracted for five years. If they want to do the deal they need to give us what we want. If they don’t want to do the deal that’s fine as well. If the player didn’t want to be in a situation where he might not be able to move this Summer then he shouldn’t have accepted the offer of five guaranteed years of income. He should only have accepted a one year contract or stayed at Getafe. Contracts work two ways. You can’t blame Tony for using his negotiating hand when everyone else in this equation is doing exactly that.

Long contracts improve a player’s value. Long contracts are no guarantee of being adhered to.
Ben White signed a 4 year contract but knew he would be sold when the price was right.
Bissouma only had one year left and was sold for a lot less.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree, this buy back stuff is utter BS, basically making this a glorified loan. If we want Colwill, we should want him to be our player, not a player we develop for Chelsea because they cannot be bothered to do it.

But, as has been said, Colwill might not want to leave Chelsea. He might not want to come to Brighton. This sticking point may have nothing to do with the respective wishes of Brighton or Chelsea, this might be Colwill insisting he has a smooth path back to Chelsea if he impresses with us. If Chelsea want Cucurella that badly, and £50m+ suggests they do, I can't imagine it's them making a buy-back clause the sticking point tbh.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Colwill thing could be many things… he might not want to join us? Could be price? Could be buy back clause? It’s all conjecture really.

It’s clearly being labelled as a ‘separate deal’ for financial reasons, but clearly the deal is still linked to the Cucurella transfer and so the club are correct if that is the reason they are stalling, we need all parties happy, not just cucurella and his cronies.

Legally it can’t be. You’d have to have complex clauses around if one player failed a medical or couldn’t agree final personal terms.

If it was cash plus player we certainly wouldn’t be asking the quoted 52.5 mill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It’s quite irritating seeing people saying they can’t blame Marc for wanting to play at the highest level, nobody does and fair play to the lad he’s clearly got ambitions above us, that still doesn’t make his/his agents handling of this transfer saga any better, we were willing to let him leave for a price we had set, due to him signing the 5 year deal his price was always going to be high, he chose to sign the deal and then when a better opportunity came in he’s attempted to force the clubs hand.

Do I blame him for wanting to further his career and double/treble his wage? Nope
Do I think he’s acted like a disrespectful twit and been led astray by $$$ hungry agents? Absolutely.

He's a young player who is surrounded by vultures who see an opportunity to make a huge amount of money off him. I like Marc and feel no ill will toward him. I think the World Cup maybe a factor in the urgency here but he has clearly been poorly advised, and the clubs chasing him have behaved despicably.

Thank goodness for Tony Bloom a man who will not be druv

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Has anyone put in an offer for Rice though?

How odd....I often thought you were one of the more aware posters.

We all know that agents are tapped up by clubs before official bids are made. We all know that stories start in the tabloids at the behest of clubs, agents and players.

If you want to believe none of these things happened with Declan Rice, then fine.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Cant help wondering if the latest Romano exclusive about a player we are possibly interested in contributed to winding up Barber……

«*Tottenham have opened talks with Udinese over Italian left-back Destiny Udogie, 19, with the potential to loan the defender back to the Serie A club. (Fabrizio Romano)*»

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
But, as has been said, Colwill might not want to leave Chelsea. He might not want to come to Brighton. This sticking point may have nothing to do with the respective wishes of Brighton or Chelsea, this might be Colwill insisting he has a smooth path back to Chelsea if he impresses with us. If Chelsea want Cucurella that badly, and £50m+ suggests they do, I can't imagine it's them making a buy-back clause the sticking point tbh.

If that is the case then I would not sign him.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Long contracts improve a player’s value. Long contracts are no guarantee of being adhered to.
Ben White signed a 4 year contract but knew he would be sold when the price was right.
Bissouma only had one year left and was sold for a lot less.

Of course. I’m not saying any different. That’s the point. Since Bosman it’s only by agreeing a long contract that a club has any chance of protecting its own interests and not being cherry picked by the likes of Chelsea and Man City. Players don’t have to sign the contract but if they do then they have to be prepared to stick to their terms until another club pays up. That’s simply how it works.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Did Dunk burn his bridges? He even refused to play one game (if reports can be believed)
The club refused to sell him to a rival, Dunk was offered a new contract and stayed. In some peoples’ eyes, that’s akin to blackmail.

I would absolutely love you to be right and Cucurella stays with us for the rest of his career. Wouldn't that be awesome?

We could sing 'You should have bought Cucurella', every time we play City or Chelsea !

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
How odd....I often thought you were one of the more aware posters.

We all know that agents are tapped up by clubs before official bids are made. We all know that stories start in the tabloids at the behest of clubs, agents and players.

If you want to believe none of these things happened with Declan Rice, then fine.

It would be a bit odd, and highly suspicious, if a transfer request was handed in before a bid has been made and tools were downed. In our case a derisory bid has been made, well short of our valuation, which has triggered a transfer request from the player and his absence from training. Our case is bad enough, let alone Rice putting in a transfer request and not attending training with no official bid at all, even one short of the quoted 100 million.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Wouldn't it be funny if the deal gets stalled and he plays and stars against United on Sunday adding another few million to his value!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It would be a bit odd, and highly suspicious, if a transfer request was handed in before a bid has been made and tools were downed. In our case a derisory bid has been made, well short of our valuation, which has triggered a transfer request from the player and his absence from training. Our case is bad enough, let alone Rice putting in a transfer request and not attending training with no official bid at all, even one short of the quoted 100 million.

Why is he not at training ? Has the club suspended him ? If not and he hasn’t turned up for work then there should be some sort of disciplinary action.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would absolutely love you to be right and Cucurella stays with us for the rest of his career. Wouldn't that be awesome?

We could sing 'You should have bought Cucurella', every time we play City or Chelsea !

That’s extremely unlikely to happen.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
Aleix pique Cucu’s main agent liked the tweet last night from Fab confirming the Chelsea move .

Not surprised as he probably told Fab to send it. I have a theory that we haven’t accepted £52.5m and this was the agents attempt to try and push it through. The only public comment that the club have made on the price is that it would have to be too good to turn down. I’m not sure £52.5m is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here