Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I am a little uncomfortable about the idea that the club is holding this deal over Chelsea's head to get what they want with the Colwill deal.

To me they are either part of the same deal or they or not. It smacks a little of having one's cake and eating it. I also worry that if it goes wrong and Cucu goes nowhere we will have a very unhappy player on our hands. Quite rightfully as well IMHO, his move should not be scuppered because of a separate deal, that's not fair.

Of course this may not be what is happening.

I disagree.

Having one’s cake and eating it is keeping Cucu and signing Colwill.

Tony is standing up to the Big Six. Chelsea are guilty of cakeism here. They want our player and want theirs back if he is equally as good.

My guess is that we’ve said that the Cucu deal does not go through until the Colwill deal is agreed, that means no buy-back.

It’s about time EPL teams outside the Big Six stood up to teams like Chelsea. If they are going to sell their youngsters, they should let go of them completely rather than have these absurd buy-back clauses. Chelsea ****ed up with letting go of Salah, De Bruyne and Lukaku but it’s their own fault. These future clauses should be banned by FIFA.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hang on a sec - Bissouma respected the contract he signed. Cucurella signed a 5 year deal a year ago, and now wants out! By putting in a transfer request he's basically downed tools - just a week before the start of the season. I loved watching Cucurella - and he seems like a really nice guy - but I can't help feeling he and/or his agent could have handled this much better.

Respected how? If he had 4 years left on his contract and City/Chelsea came bidding for him, he'd be desperate to go. And if there were no clubs interested in Cucurella this summer, he'd be very happy to play another season here. All about opportunities.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I disagree.

Tony is standing up to the Big Six. Chelsea are guilty of cakeism here. They want our player and want theirs back if he is equally as good.

My guess is that we’ve said that the Cucu deal does not go through until the Colwill deal is agreed, that means no buy-back.

It’s about time EPL teams outside the Big Six stood up to teams like Chelsea. If they are going to sell their youngsters, they should let go of them completely rather than have these absurd buy-back clauses. Chelsea ****ed up with letting go of Salah, De Bruyne and Lukaku but it’s their own fault. These future clauses should be banned by FIFA.

I love the word Cakeism :lolol:

I also agree that the buyback clause should be banned by FIFA. Especially when Chelsea have poached and hoarded so many young players for so long.

Still don't feel comfortable about using one deal to make another though (although as GB said there isn't really any evidence that this is what we are doing).

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
For me Marc and his advisors have got this badly wrong, with this apparent desperation to move and NOW! It’s outwardly unprofessional, handing in a transfer request, the ‘calf’ niggle, the (suspicion) that he’s not training... the I love Pep ... no, I love Chelsea... absolutely zero decorum.

Except Cucurella hasn't actually said anything. Most of this is rumour from Twitter.

As I've said before, I can't blame him - or his agent - for wanting Champions League.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Respected how? If he had 4 years left on his contract and City/Chelsea came bidding for him, he'd be desperate to go. And if there were no clubs interested in Cucurella this summer, he'd be very happy to play another season here. All about opportunities.

Biss DID want to go - but he didn't piss off the club by putting in a transfer request just before the season started. If you can't see the difference, I'm surprised.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
No chance such a blunt and notable statement went out without TB involved……be interesting to see what gets said at the FF tonight

Keen to hear the views of Peter from Eastbourne, Potter hasn’t had any public guidance since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Hang on a sec - Bissouma respected the contract he signed. Cucurella signed a 5 year deal a year ago, and now wants out! By putting in a transfer request he's basically downed tools - just a week before the start of the season. I loved watching Cucurella - and he seems like a really nice guy - but I can't help feeling he and/or his agent could have handled this much better.

Agreed. Hindsight is a great skill, but it would have been better, at least from a PR perspective, for him/his agent to maintain their dignity and not slap in a transfer request. That way, you don't burn your bridges. As soon as they did that, they set the hare running, and lost any control they might have had. The city hound has since pulled up lame, and I sense the Chelsea hound is starting to run out of puff.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I disagree.

I totally agree re cakeism.

However, the reports and Tweets I saw re Colwill suggest that’s a legally separate deal, which means the only thing snagging the Cucerella deal can be the finer details of that deal itself, surely?

Again, with the caveat of if those reports were accurate. It seems one or two weren’t :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I disagree.

Chelsea have also seen what’s happened to Lamptey and probably thought you’re not doing that again.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think everyone needs to.. Screenshot_20220804-081702_Google.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I haven,t seen Declan Rice demanding a transfer at West Ham, despite him being one of the most sought after midfielders in the Premier League. Several of the money bloated top six want him. Declan Rice has ambition and wants to play at the highest level.

West Ham don,t want to sell.....they are not in the Champions League.

Has Declan Rice been sitting on his arse,( taking wages from his club), at home sulking and having a tantrum for the last two weeks...?

100,000.00 pounds is about the same as 200 season tickets at the Amex. 200 of our Season ticket holders paying for Cucurella to sit oh his arse after being so happy to have a guaranteed 5 year contract at the Albion, no matter how well or badly he played . Hmmmm.

A very good player, but I don't really care for his attitude to be honest.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Except Cucurella hasn't actually said anything. Most of this is rumour from Twitter.

As I've said before, I can't blame him - or his agent - for wanting Champions League.

Indeed this.
It's what i've been thinking for a couple of days, although I suspect the agent has something to do with the info that is being 'leaked. But as of yet Cucurella himself doesn't appear to have 'said' anything

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I haven,t seen Declan Rice demanding a transfer at West Ham, despite him being one of the most sought after midfielders in the Premier League. Several of the money bloated top six want him. Declan Rice has ambition and wants to play at the highest level.

Has Declan Rice been sitting on his arse,( taking wages from his club), at home sulking and having a tantrum for the last two weeks...?

Has anyone put in an offer for Rice though?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Chelsea have also seen what’s happened to Lamptey and probably thought you’re not doing that again.

Dare I say that the jury is out on Lamptey since his injury, doesn’t look half the player he was when he made the first team. If he’d stayed at Chelsea he would have only got a game when Reece James was injured so his value would not have been substantially more than we paid, even now imo. In fact he would have walked for nothing as he wouldn’t sign a new contract….I think

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The Colwill thing could be many things… he might not want to join us? Could be price? Could be buy back clause? It’s all conjecture really.

It’s clearly being labelled as a ‘separate deal’ for financial reasons, but clearly the deal is still linked to the Cucurella transfer and so the club are correct if that is the reason they are stalling, we need all parties happy, not just cucurella and his cronies.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Just listened to the talk sport piece from yesterday morning about it and Simon Jordan so right in his opinion on it 👌

You could almost hear the words sticking in his throat as he bigged up Brighton's stance.
He even said the words 'He plays for a very good manager in a very good side' :lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

100,000.00 pounds is about the same as 200 season tickets at the Amex. 200 of our Season ticket holders paying for Cucurella to sit oh his arse after being so happy to have a guaranteed 5 year contract at the Albion, no matter how well or badly he played . Hmmmm.

A very good player, but I don't really care for his attitude to be honest.

Not this!

Indeed this.
It's what i've been thinking for a couple of days, although I suspect the agent has something to do with the info that is being 'leaked. But as of yet Cucurella himself doesn't appear to have 'said' anything

This!

Can't see that he has said or done much wrong. Obviously, he wants to play at a higher level for more money and probably shouldn't have put a transfer request in but I won't hold it against him, if he stays or if he goes. We are a premier league club and this stiff id part and parcel of the premier league package.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s quite irritating seeing people saying they can’t blame Marc for wanting to play at the highest level, nobody does and fair play to the lad he’s clearly got ambitions above us, that still doesn’t make his/his agents handling of this transfer saga any better, we were willing to let him leave for a price we had set, due to him signing the 5 year deal his price was always going to be high, he chose to sign the deal and then when a better opportunity came in he’s attempted to force the clubs hand.

Do I blame him for wanting to further his career and double/treble his wage? Nope
Do I think he’s acted like a disrespectful twit and been led astray by $$$ hungry agents? Absolutely.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I disagree.

I agree, this buy back stuff is utter BS, basically making this a glorified loan. If we want Colwill, we should want him to be our player, not a player we develop for Chelsea because they cannot be bothered to do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here