Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The one person who works at the training ground must be shitting it.

Either way the club probably read NSC and follow this type of thing, there’s a lot that goes into tracking leaks from the TG we know that from past instances. If I had someone at the TG who gave me info I certainly wouldn’t go around blabbing about it, even if 10000 people worked there.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think we are forgetting the huge amount the club is in the red plus the current financial strife the nations in plus I imagine the reductions in season ticket sales £100 million might be helping fund the short fall incurred.

The club policy appears to be buy cheap develop sell move forward

you write that as if its some kind of new revelation rather than the clubs stated policy for a few years. We recruit from overseas and lower leagues young, develop the talent through the academy, u23s, loans etc and then sell for a profit if they dont quite make the grade , or sell to a top club when they come knocking.

White, Bissouma, Osstgarde, Groykeres, Walton, Tau and numerous sales to various other clubs all for healthy a healthy profit

It would have been the plan for Cucurella, its just happened a couple of seasons faster than we thought. It WILL be the same for Caceiado, Eniseco, and all the rest

The way we get the talent is to demonstrate a pathway to the first team, to top clubs when and if they come calling, or to a successful career elsewhere. To think we are a club able to hold on to world class players for any length of time is delusional.

Its a system that has worked well over the past few years and got us to 9th!

Well, its what a lot of people think our policy is, but I'm not so sure it plays out exactly like that. What have we actually sold? Bissouma, sold after four years and >100 games in the last year of his contract, Burn, after 4 years, 70 odd appearances and now the wrong side of 30, and Ben White, youth development product for whom we got an offer we couldn't refuse. And now Cucurella, who we are don't particularly want to sell and only for a big price. Plus a bunch of players who didn't make the grade.

It's hardly 'buy cheap, develop, then shop around for a quick profit' is it? Seems more like 'build an excellent squad, rise up the table for more rewards, attract even better players, move on the ones who didn't make it, and sell the odd star when the offer is too good to be refused'

I think it's too easy to say our model is just to buy and sell, as if all mid - lower end premium clubs do it the same, it's arguably way more subtle than that.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Like Leicester or Ajax ?

Leicester trying to sell Forfanna for £70m+ after Forfanna is coming back after a serious injury. He was awful last season. Just look at his ststs.

Cucerella had a fantastic season last year so who is the better player as things stand?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All true but I fear in a few years, unless we become a top six club, we are going to get very pissed off with others taking the best sweets out of the bag every fecking year :smile:

Southampton have had to live like that for a long time.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
you write that as if its some kind of new revelation rather than the clubs stated policy for a few years. We recruit from overseas and lower leagues young, develop the talent through the academy, u23s, loans etc and then sell for a profit if they dont quite make the grade , or sell to a top club when they come knocking.

White, Bissouma, Osstgarde, Groykeres, Walton, Tau and numerous sales to various other clubs all for healthy a healthy profit

It would have been the plan for Cucurella, its just happened a couple of seasons faster than we thought. It WILL be the same for Caceiado, Eniseco, and all the rest

The way we get the talent is to demonstrate a pathway to the first team, to top clubs when and if they come calling, or to a successful career elsewhere. To think we are a club able to hold on to world class players for any length of time is delusional.

Its a system that has worked well over the past few years and got us to 9th!
If you listen the the David Weir interview he does say the plan is to start buying PL ready players but we are not able to at the moment.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Well, its what a lot of people think our policy is, but I'm not so sure it plays out exactly like that. What have we actually sold? Bissouma, sold after four years and >100 games in the last year of his contract, Burn, after 4 years, 70 odd appearances and now the wrong side of 30, and Ben White, youth development product for whom we got an offer we couldn't refuse. And now Cucurella, who we are don't particularly want to sell and only for a big price. Plus a bunch of players who didn't make the grade.

It's hardly 'buy cheap, develop, then shop around for a quick profit' is it? Seems more like 'build an excellent squad, rise up the table for more rewards, attract even better players, move on the ones who didn't make it, and sell the odd star when the offer is too good to be refused'

I think it's too easy to say our model is just to buy and sell, as if all mid - lower end premium clubs do it the same, it's arguably way more subtle than that.

i wasnt saying our model was simply buy and sell higher, the whole academy is set up to produce a stream of players , not just for us, but to proivide a steady income year on year as graduates who dont make it into the first team populate lower and foreign leagues. Its a long term, well thought out process, taking in schoolboys direct to the acadamy, buying in slightly older players from other acadamies (like the Chelsea 16yr old) and also young players for the u23s (or 21s as now is). Coupled with unearthing senior players that have been missed by other clubs and helping them flourish in the prem (bissoma, cucurella)

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The mistake many many people seem to be making is thinking that any 'price' quoted for Cucurella comes from the Albion. The only statement I think we've made is to say that Cucurella is a more valuable asset than Ben White, so the price would need to be in excess of what we got for him, or words to that effect.

There is no way that Tony Bloom is going to reveal his hand without City / Chelsea / whomever 'paying' for the right.

The incredulity being displayed by Chelsea fans today is fun to see "We've offered the asking price, why have little Brighton moved the goalposts" etc. We do need to learn where we are in the pecking order, so I'm led to believe.

I think Bloom used the term ‘eye watering offer’.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Either way the club probably read NSC and follow this type of thing, there’s a lot that goes into tracking leaks from the TG we know that from past instances. If I had someone at the TG who gave me info I certainly wouldn’t go around blabbing about it, even if 10000 people worked there.

This. There was a time many moons ago when I had information from a club source (it was so long ago I can tell you it was a player). The last thing I would have done was to blab on a place like NSC for 'look at me' responses.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I can see players wanting to play for us rather than not, Bloom will not let you go for peanuts if you prove yourself. Just big clubs wanting M&S players for Lidl prices.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
It seems like we got what we wanted?

Over 50m & Colwill coming this way - goodjob to the club!

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
I am not a fan of Cucurella, showed the club very little respect. Apparently he's in Spain right now, put in a transfer request after one year into a 5 year contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I’ll wait for news from our end before I believe it. Not the chancer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here