Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Dec 29, 2011
you write that as if its some kind of new revelation rather than the clubs stated policy for a few years. We recruit from overseas and lower leagues young, develop the talent through the academy, u23s, loans etc and then sell for a profit if they dont quite make the grade , or sell to a top club when they come knocking.

White, Bissouma, Osstgarde, Groykeres, Walton, Tau and numerous sales to various other clubs all for healthy a healthy profit

It would have been the plan for Cucurella, its just happened a couple of seasons faster than we thought. It WILL be the same for Caceiado, Eniseco, and all the rest

The way we get the talent is to demonstrate a pathway to the first team, to top clubs when and if they come calling, or to a successful career elsewhere. To think we are a club able to hold on to world class players for any length of time is delusional.

Its a system that has worked well over the past few years and got us to 9th!

The Borussia Dortmund model, you could say.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Something I have found interesting during the Cucu saga is how the debacle has been reported by the media.

How in some quarters the narrative around Albion’s response to City’s interest is almost deluded - that we are posturing above our station.

BBC’s Simon Stone repeatedly refers to Albion’s ‘hardline approach’. Really? Hardline or the fact we are not prepared to be ripped off by a bigger club? If anything, City are taking a hardline and privileged approach to the entire process…

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Some Chelsea fans on The Shed End are now saying they should walk away from this as we are asking for way more than the £50m suggested.

Wouldn't be upset if they did to be honest.

el punal

Something I have found interesting during the Cucu saga is how the debacle has been reported by the media.

How in some quarters the narrative around Albion’s response to City’s interest is almost deluded - that we are posturing above our station.

BBC’s Simon Stone repeatedly refers to Albion’s ‘hardline approach’. Really? Hardline or the fact we are not prepared to be ripped off by a bigger club? If anything, City are taking a hardline and privileged approach to the entire process…

Almost a repeat of the Ben White saga with Leeds.

Leeds : We’ll offer you £18 million.

Brighton : He’s not for sale.

Leeds : We’ll offer you £20 million.

Brighton : He’s not for sale.

Leeds : Ok, £23 million.

Brighton : FFS!! He is NOT for sale.

Rinse and repeat with Cucu and Man City/Chelsea. :drink:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Some Chelsea fans on The Shed End are now saying they should walk away from this as we are asking for way more than the £50m suggested.

Wouldn't be upset if they did to be honest.

The mistake many many people seem to be making is thinking that any 'price' quoted for Cucurella comes from the Albion. The only statement I think we've made is to say that Cucurella is a more valuable asset than Ben White, so the price would need to be in excess of what we got for him, or words to that effect.

There is no way that Tony Bloom is going to reveal his hand without City / Chelsea / whomever 'paying' for the right.

The incredulity being displayed by Chelsea fans today is fun to see "We've offered the asking price, why have little Brighton moved the goalposts" etc. We do need to learn where we are in the pecking order, so I'm led to believe.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m beginning to enjoy these sagas every year. At first leeds were a little irritating but they were thoroughly enjoyable by the end. To add Man City and Chelsea to the collection is actually pretty good Summer sport alongside the cricket.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If he's not already been sold before then I'll be amazed, astounded even, if Cucu is even on the bench on Sunday.

He’ll be back training tomorrow, armed with his new improved contract after Chelsea have flounced off because Brighton are not negotiating properly with an ESL-ready behemoth.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
you write that as if its some kind of new revelation rather than the clubs stated policy for a few years. We recruit from overseas and lower leagues young, develop the talent through the academy, u23s, loans etc and then sell for a profit if they dont quite make the grade , or sell to a top club when they come knocking.

White, Bissouma, Osstgarde, Groykeres, Walton, Tau and numerous sales to various other clubs all for healthy a healthy profit

It would have been the plan for Cucurella, its just happened a couple of seasons faster than we thought. It WILL be the same for Caceiado, Eniseco, and all the rest

The way we get the talent is to demonstrate a pathway to the first team, to top clubs when and if they come calling, or to a successful career elsewhere. To think we are a club able to hold on to world class players for any length of time is delusional.

Its a system that has worked well over the past few years and got us to 9th!

Absolutely I was just reminding everyone who keeps suggesting the club should go out and spend big that it’s unlikely to happen

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The mistake many many people seem to be making is thinking that any 'price' quoted for Cucurella comes from the Albion. The only statement I think we've made is to say that Cucurella is a more valuable asset than Ben White, so the price would need to be in excess of what we got for him, or words to that effect.

There is no way that Tony Bloom is going to reveal his hand without City / Chelsea / whomever 'paying' for the right.

The incredulity being displayed by Chelsea fans today is fun to see "We've offered the asking price, why have little Brighton moved the goalposts" etc. We do need to learn where we are in the pecking order, so I'm led to believe.

All of this!

It seems that Chelsea have earned the right to start serious negotiations, by coming to the table with £50m+

Tony is prepared to discuss what he might be after once there is some proper money on the table.

I originally thought this one might be going awry, but there's been no "prepared to walk away" commentary on this one so far.
Sounds like there's some pretty hardcore negotiating going on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So are 'we' now perplexed by the delusional nature of keyboard Chelsea fans?

Can anybody else see a pattern forming?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here