Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not sure we would be that desperate for cover. I imagine we would rather start Webster at the back, and Trossard/March on the left. And with injuries we still have Van Hecke, Duffy, Clarke etc. No way are we getting Colwell on loan

I'm not sure Clarke or Duffy will be here by the end of the window, especially if we feel Colwell is better than both and he's offered as part of the deal. That could be buy, loan or loan to buy - we'd simply adjust the fee part of the fee plus player.

Losing Cucurella leaves a massive, massive, hole to be filled. The bloke can play left back, left centre back, left wing back and left midfield equally effectively - he's probably more versatile and just as attacking as Robertson. None of the players you've named can do all of that and using Trossard as a LWB would effectively commit us to blooding Mitoma in an attacking role.

Stumpy Tim

I'm not sure Clarke or Duffy will be here by the end of the window, especially if we feel Colwell is better than both and he's offered as part of the deal. That could be buy, loan or loan to buy - we'd simply adjust the fee part of the fee plus player.

Losing Cucurella leaves a massive, massive, hole to be filled. The bloke can play left back, left centre back, left wing back and left midfield equally effectively - he's probably more versatile and just as attacking as Robertson. None of the players you've named can do all of that and using Trossard as a LWB would effectively commit us to blooding Mitoma in an attacking role.

Cucurella can play a lot of roles, but to say we don't have cover isn't true. I am sure we would rather keep Clarke rather than loan a Chelsea player in (unless there's an option to purchase). And you're right in that Mitoma is another LWB option - so that's Mitoma, Trossard and March. I have a feeling Trossard is pushing to play LWB as that's where he's most likely to start for Belgium in the World Cup

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Cucurella can play a lot of roles, but to say we don't have cover isn't true. I am sure we would rather keep Clarke rather than loan a Chelsea player in (unless there's an option to purchase). And you're right in that Mitoma is another LWB option - so that's Mitoma, Trossard and March. I have a feeling Trossard is pushing to play LWB as that's where he's most likely to start for Belgium in the World Cup

Not sure Tross as LWB is going to work out without Cucurella (or a similarly unique player) in the LCB role.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'd normally agree but we'd need some immediate cover if we sell Cucurella, even if that has to be short term.

We'll have to see anyway, as this is all speculation, but I can be pretty sure in stating that we won't get Broja in, nor do we necessarily need him.

A loan for Colwill is speculation and there's no reporting suggesting we'd want one.. Our interest in him isn't speculation. Various reporters have confirmed it (Ornstein, Romano, Naylor). And Albion don't do loans of young stars...they're presumably looking to buy him.
Broja agreed is a complete non starter. Tuchel doesn't want him to go anywhere this season and his performance last year - mixed - is typically overrated on here because he scored a decent goal ..against us.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Has anyone considered Lamptey as the LWB option. I know he's right footed but there have been plenty of players that have succeeded playing on the 'wrong' side. That allows Veltman to stay on the right.

Just a thought.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Has anyone considered Lamptey as the LWB option. I know he's right footed but there have been plenty of players that have succeeded playing on the 'wrong' side. That allows Veltman to stay on the right.

Just a thought.

Not a bad idea but I think generally to play in a inverted wing back role your "bad" foot should be ok as well... not quite sure that is the case with Lamptey.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Martinez seems to favour Trossard as LWB in the Belgium squad. Potter has also used him there and he can be dangerous for us coming in off that side. However, we would need a strong left footed defender behind him (Colwill).
Cucurella’s worth is due to his versatility but I think we have in-house options to cover LWB, just not so much as the left sided defender/ left back if we revert to a back four. Clarke is an option but doesn’t look quick enough to play in the Premier League from what I’ve seen of him.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Is it too late for Marc to say, ‘sorry I’ve caused all this hassle can I withdraw my transfer request and stay? ‘ No probably not, only dreaming!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This.

Without a LB/LWB of his class, we’ll morph back to the Albion of 2017 to 2021, where defensively full back was a weak-spot, creatively we were weak due in part to a lack of pace. I recall for example the visit of Sheffield Utd where George Baldock of all players drove us back. We were sterile down our left. Sheffield Utd won. Painful to watch.

Veltman then Cucurella solved our long term FB issues.

Cucurella will need replacing with quality.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No I work around West London heard it from the Chelsea lads. They want £20m can’t see us parting with that it would give some breathing space and cover on the left.

Yes. We know that Albion need cover and other outlets have suggested a fee for Colwill would be £20m. But you didn't say that.
Apparently - The "Chelsea lads" have heard that Albion were ok with a loan ? And that was now likely ? . and you're passing that on.
"Looks like a loan"...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So many rumours, but what I understood is that Chelsea have offered £50m and Brighton have said that isn't their number, but it's getting closer. Personal terms reported as agreed. Could drag on a bit more yet.
Maybe they have said "that could be our number if we also get a lower number for Colwill" ?

I know the deals are separate but there could be a quid pro quo.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
No I work around West London heard it from the Chelsea lads. They want £20m can’t see us parting with that it would give some breathing space and cover on the left.

i think we would happily pay 20 for Colwill. the only snag here is what Chelsea want going forward in terms of buy back etc...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Sinclair on TS saying player leaving because we aren’t matching his ambition…..supporting City ..talking bllx as normal

Lols. People like Sinclair are utter tools aren’t they? It’s assumed people who’ve had a career in the game know about football by default. That is totally disproved by the pundits at places like TS.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Loan with the option to buy is the most likely for Colwill IMO as it is by far the best deal for Brighton. If he is good enough, pay the £20 or what he would cost, if he isn't good enough, save the money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here