Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Why would you want to have a whip round for a multi millionaire, who clearly isn’t left a bit short by donating 10% of his salary to charity?

Weird.

I was being a little facetious, but I feel that although that sounds a lot, it doesn't affect his lifestyle much, whereas if your average person was to give 10% of their earnings away, it makes a far bigger difference.
Easy to be 'generous' when you earn fortunes by falling over, eh?

That said, good on him for doing that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'd be confident only in that I could leave them even more money, which isn't the same as providing for them. What next - win £100M and still provide for them? £200M?
Where does it become ridiculous instead of 'providing'?

Never gets ridiculous. No amount of money is too much if it is coming your way. Your only problem is others knowing you have a lot of disposable cash and keep tapping you up for a "loan", or kidnapping your kids for a ransom. If you find a large amount of cash a burden, I would be very happy to lighten your load if it ever becomes a problem for you, I am kind like that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You asked earlier about when is it ever enough and i am afraid that the simple answer may well be " never " .People at every wage level will tend to cut their cloth according to the size of their pocket , if someone earning EPL wages were to live as we do then it would be enough but they don't ! They will waste vast sums of money on elite cars , yachts , multiple apartments etc !
Just to give you a small example from my past life - at one time i was working as a van driver delivering toiletries for a small company and one place i went to was an elite men's salon near the reform club in london . At that time i was getting my haircut at my local hairdressers for about £4 and out of interest i asked someone who worked there how much a haircut was ( just a cut as they offered a full menu of treatments etc ) and was told it was £120 !!!!!!!!!!! I remember thinking at the time the people who come in here must have money to burn and truth is they probably did . The point being they were living in a different world to me with completely different values .

Spot on, and it’s not just football. Seen it in a few areas of financial services. Spending tends to rise with income……..

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Strangely, however much a footballer earns, they never employ a driver to avoid a drink driving ban !

Seems an obvious worthwhile outlay to me.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'd be confident only in that I could leave them even more money, which isn't the same as providing for them. What next - win £100M and still provide for them? £200M?
Where does it become ridiculous instead of 'providing'?

If you won more you could help others in your wider community, not just your family!

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Now that is an interesting one, what drives TB ?

He obviously inherited big (at the time) family money from Harry (and the responsibility that goes with that) and has invested it very wisely, but he doesn't seem particularly driven by the power of serious money and it certainly doesn't seem to be an ego thing, so I wonder whether it is the intellectual challenge that he likes. Whichever, I can't imagine a better chairman :thumbsup:

Its an interesting subject and I think there are some people that are naturally more likely to be go-getters. I am no biologist but as I understand it we are motivated primarily by hits of chemicals like Dopamine and serotonin, and, as well as environmental factors, how our brains process these chemicals dictates to some extent how driven we are. I think there are certain people (the Elon musks of this world) that you could put on a desert island and they would work 14 hours a day and create something amazing from literally nothing. In evolutionary terms these are really useful people to have about!

I have some personal experience with this because last year I was diagnosed with ADHD which is partly caused by a reduced amount of the motivational chemical Dopamine in the brain. This makes sense in my case as my life has been punctuated by a focus on high dopamine producing activities and new exciting projects. Interestingly the hit has always been in the idea and the striving to get there and not in achieving a goal. I take something up, master it, I get a feeling of anticlimax and then I give it up. I would never be satisfied with the status quo and I get very little motivation from owning something but quite a lot from the process of buying things. I spent years moving my family around from one place to the next and taking the next job or opportunity that came my way, not really for the money but more to chase the next exciting experience!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course it does, but at some point, surely, you've bought/spent enough? What do you buy next, a 10 carat diamond-studded Prince Albert, just because you can?
If you're a PL footballer - especially if you're a young one with no settled family life that 's just been handed a huge contract - yes, that's probably exactly what you do!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Of course it does, but at some point, surely, you've bought/spent enough? What do you buy next, a 10 carat diamond-studded Prince Albert, just because you can?

What is that point though ? £100k a week…..(£50k after tax)…….massive outgoings - say a £5m mortgage and best of everything in that house, expensive holidays, couple of cars at several grand a month, kids in private schools, bored WAG spending a fortune etc etc…….and then a career that’s often over at 35, leaving you potentially 40-50 years to last on what you haven’t spunked, paid to agents, lost in divorces, bad investments, gambling etc etc. Got to continue keep up with the Joneses, it’s an expensive (and daft) business

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What is that point though ? £100k a week…..(£50k after tax)…….massive outgoings - say a £5m mortgage and best of everything in that house, expensive holidays, couple of cars at several grand a month, kids in private schools, bored WAG spending a fortune etc etc…….and then a career that’s often over at 35, leaving you potentially 40-50 years to last on what you haven’t spunked, paid to agents, lost in divorces, bad investments, gambling etc etc. Got to continue keep up with the Joneses, it’s an expensive (and daft) business

To start with I'd buy a better class of WAG ............. :wink::lolol:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
.... it’s an expensive (and daft) business

Yes, yes it is, and top clubs generally provide the houses for the players, as they know they're not going to be residing there for very long, before they move to the next pay hike.
Of course, any amount - any amount at all is potentially 'spendable'......if you're an utter ****.

It does beg the question; How do normal folk manage with a lot of that, at a fraction of the earnings?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You asked earlier about when is it ever enough and i am afraid that the simple answer may well be " never " .People at every wage level will tend to cut their cloth according to the size of their pocket , if someone earning EPL wages were to live as we do then it would be enough but they don't ! They will waste vast sums of money on elite cars , yachts , multiple apartments etc !
Just to give you a small example from my past life - at one time i was working as a van driver delivering toiletries for a small company and one place i went to was an elite men's salon near the reform club in london . At that time i was getting my haircut at my local hairdressers for about £4 and out of interest i asked someone who worked there how much a haircut was ( just a cut as they offered a full menu of treatments etc ) and was told it was £120 !!!!!!!!!!! I remember thinking at the time the people who come in here must have money to burn and truth is they probably did . The point being they were living in a different world to me with completely different values .

I’ve just lost my watch - a nice but not super expensive Rotary - and have been looking on the internet for what to buy. Facebook has picked this up and I am getting stuff about watches. Yesterday I got something about a brand I had not heard of before, not being up on such things. Vacheron Constantin or something like that. Oh, that looks nice, I thought. £68,000! Well maybe not.

I then got one about Patek Philippe, of which I have heard. Peter James has written about them. There was one which was £685,000 - six hundred and eighty-five thousand pounds! Gosh!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve just lost my watch - a nice but not super expensive Rotary - and have been looking on the internet for what to buy. Facebook has picked this up and I am getting stuff about watches. Yesterday I got something about a brand I had not heard of before, not being up on such things. Vacheron Constantin or something like that. Oh, that looks nice, I thought. £68,000! Well maybe not.

I then got one about Patek Philippe, of which I have heard. Peter James has written about them. There was one which was £685,000 - six hundred and eighty-five thousand pounds! Gosh!

Precisely…wander around the trading floor of a top investment bank and you’ll see an array of such watches :shrug:

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

Which one are you going for ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Precisely…wander around the trading floor of a top investment bank and you’ll see an array of such watches :shrug:
Ooooh ............. can you buy tickets to go and look? What an unforgettable experience that would be ...................................... :facepalm:

You can buy excellent watches for £4.95 (or if you see a prettier one who can go to £9.95). These watches are 100% accurate, never stop, and generally outlive the straps they're on (about two or three years usually). Buying a new watch (with a strap, obvs.) is cheaper than getting a new watch so £4.95 every couple of years it is. What exactly do I get for the extra £684,995.05 - do they include a free badge saying "I am a prat with too much money"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here