Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yep.

Disappointed in the way he has conducted himself during all this.
He could have just sat in the background, waiting for it all to unfold.
Instead, he chose to let himself get manipulated and hand in a transfer request.
Poor form, but he's going now so the sooner the better so we can make plans for a replacement.

Probably means even more profit for us though. So maybe not a bad thing from a financial point of view. Had he sat in the background, part of the transfer fee would be going straight to him.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I think its naive to think players of talent will stay with us for the longer term unless we are in Europe. Its part of the club policy to buy in players with talent and move them on for massive profit. I think majority of club's in the PL would love to turn an investment of £15M into £50M within a year. Until we are in Europe and won silver over several seasons don't expect us to keep our stars. There are exceptions of course. Im a little shocked there's been no real interest in Trossard who I would argue is our most influential player.

Don't get me wrong, it was obvious he would be moving on and I understand the business model.
I'm just a little bit peeved the way it was conducted and how he behaved.
There was no need for him to put in a transfer request, he showed no respect for the club in doing so IMO

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Probably means even more profit for us though. So maybe not a bad thing from a financial point of view. Had he sat in the background, part of the transfer fee would be going straight to him.

I thought that only happened if we actually transfer listed a player?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought that only happened if we actually transfer listed a player?

If we transfer list the player and seek to end the contract, then compensation is due to the player, hence most players keep their council not through honour to their club, but because don't want to forfeit their golden handshake. Only when putting a request in the player is instigating the transfer and the ending of the contract, so isn't due the compensation. As I understood it like.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Don't get me wrong, it was obvious he would be moving on and I understand the business model.
There was no need for him to put in a transfer request, he showed no respect for the club in doing so IMO

Im not surprised at all. It was more about letting all the big club's know he was serious about moving and getting into Champions L this season rather than waiting another year as he's only got 4/5 more years at the very top and I think he still has his heart set on Barcelona. Also I would suggest that what's reported and the actual reasons/facts are often different to our assumptions (even mine)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If we transfer list the player and seek to end the contract, then compensation is due to the player, hence most players keep their council not through honour to their club, but because don't want to forfeit their golden handshake. Only when putting a request in the player is instigating the transfer and the ending of the contract, so isn't due the compensation. As I understood it like.

But I expect Chelsea have compensated him well for his loss.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That’s what I thought, although that’s not an endorsement as I often get it wrong.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I agree with your first point, but not your second. I don't think he's being a mercenary at all. His ultimate aim when signing for us would have been to showcase himself in the PL, with a view to getting a move to a top club (either here or abroad). I think the Albion would have been under no illusions regarding that either. Ultimately, his performances and progression have happened faster than anyone anticipated.

I wouldn't expect any player to immediately hand in a transfer request after being warmly welcomed, awarded and them waxing lyrical about what a great year they've had. Badly advised or not, he could have remained impartial publicly whilst this transfer business was conducted.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

At this level tho, it's not about the profit, it's about what you do with that profit if you want to stay competing at the top table

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Im not surprised at all. It was more about letting all the big club's know he was serious about moving and getting into Champions L this season rather than waiting another year as he's only got 4/5 more years at the very top and I think he still has his heart set on Barcelona. Also I would suggest that what's reported and the actual reasons/facts are often different to our assumptions (even mine)

If he signs a long contract with Chelsea not sure how that will help his quest to go to Barcelona

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Well, my take on that is somewhat different. Surely it’s preferable that players put in transfer requests ? Too often clubs are manipulated by players and agents who make it apparent the player wants to leave but go for maximum payments for themselves by avoiding putting in a transfer request. Cucu seems to have done everything in the correct manner to get himself the move and for the club to get its fee.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The vast majority of us had never even heard of the guy this time last year. Bleating about loyalty? The only loyalty the player owes is to providing for his family. Everything else is just football bolleaux

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Looking at the other side, it gives the club notice and allows us to line up the replacement in good time.
If it had gone to the last day of the window, we might of been caught short.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
At this level tho, it's not about the profit, it's about what you do with that profit if you want to stay competing at the top table

No it isn't. At every level you have to be solvent and have the financial strength to sustain a longer term future. Otherwise, League 1 beckons fairly quickly if you bust out and find yourself with a load of expensive, unattractive, dead weight hanging around the squad.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Why wouldn't it? He's only a year into a contract here and he's leaving so why, if Barca offer the right fee, would he not go to them from Chelsea?

Because, not so sure Barcelona have got the money to buy from the likes of Chelsea any more. He might have missed the boat and only have a chance of going to Barcelona when he passes his peak now?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No it isn't. At every level you have to be solvent and have the financial strength to sustain a longer term future. Otherwise, League 1 beckons fairly quickly if you bust out and find yourself with a load of expensive, unattractive, dead weight hanging around the squad.

Club takes its eye off the EPL ball at its peril. Lose absolute focus on that and the lower league future will take care of itself...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here