Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I agree it's in real trouble.

But where are the other targets?

The ball is in City's court. The only thing stopping the deal, is them saving face.
Unless their FFP position is totally ****ed after paying Haaland's wages.

But then look at Barca.

Citeh don't do FFP.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maybe the wording doesn't match the true meaning, but a 'transfer request' baffles me.

If it is merely a REQUEST, I could see the conversation going something like this:

Cucurella (via a transfer request): Please can I move to a bigger club who will pay me more money?
Club: No, you're ONE year into a multi-year contract and not going anyway, especially to those mugs who think they can buy you for peanuts. Now get back to training, we've got a huge season to prepare for and you're a big part of it.

I don't see how a TR changes City's ability to bid a higher amount. If I was TB and that happened, the asking price would also have gone up £10m....

Also, I would hope/assume that when a player submits a TR there are repercussions, such as forfeiting bonuses, or suchlike.

Just a contract process. If a club wants to sell, the player is typically entitled to some compensation for the ending of their contract - hence players are often reluctant to submit a transfer request if they’re feeling like the club is likely to sell for the right club. As of now, Cucurella is instigating the transfer so if Brighton did decide to sell, the player wouldn’t get the compensation as they’ve instigated the ending of the contract.

Has nothing to do with Brighton’s decision to hold on to him or not, and exactly as you’ve said can tell him to get on with it you’re under contract just as they did with Stephens.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
I got some stick on here when i said Pep is not as good a manager as alot of people think he is. Most managers could step into city and win things when buying world ckass players. Potter us jyst as good as Pep if not better, hes the one who can take a player and develope them into better players, i dont think that Pep can, Pep could have had Cucu before we got him, Pep was a long time admirer of him but would not take the chance. How many in that city squad has Pep developed? Very few if any.

Other than the fact Pep was at the Barca academy and coached Xavi, Iniesta, Messi etc. The reason he became Barca coach was because of the good job he'd done coaching the youth talent. It was Pep that then promoted them into the first team and made Barca the force they were under him.

Pep is a quality manager. Potter is also quality. The two are not mutually exclusive.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The longer City take to come back the harder the stance Bloom will take, he is not going to weaken our squad so close to the season. The put up or shut up message from the club is just that. I can see the later into the window the actual cost will go up, hence 50+. If the bid had been 50m two weeks ago he'd be wearing sky blue by now.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Maybe the wording doesn't match the true meaning, but a 'transfer request' baffles me.

If it is merely a REQUEST, I could see the conversation going something like this:

Cucurella (via a transfer request): Please can I move to a bigger club who will pay me more money?
Club: No, you're ONE year into a multi-year contract and not going anyway, especially to those mugs who think they can buy you for peanuts. Now get back to training, we've got a huge season to prepare for and you're a big part of it.

I don't see how a TR changes City's ability to bid a higher amount. If I was TB and that happened, the asking price would also have gone up £10m....

Also, I would hope/assume that when a player submits a TR there are repercussions, such as forfeiting bonuses, or suchlike.

Which explains exactly why a Transfer Request was such a stupid idea :wozza:

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Still all up in the air. And still rumours and guess-work, smoke and mirrors. £40M bid reported in the Athletic. Suggestions elsewhere that City don't want to go above their valuation of £35M - all of which could be compatible with a £40M bid made up of £35M plus £5M in add-ons. Maybe, maybe not.

It really isn’t “smoke and mirrors”. Solid reporting from both Romano and The Athletic that Albion rejected a £40m bid, have ended negotiations and City , whilst not 100% ruling it out, are looking elsewhere and won’t match Albions “more than Ben White” valuation.
Fine , it could still happen - but most observers would look at it and suggest a lot has to change from here.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Still all up in the air. And still rumours and guess-work, smoke and mirrors. £40M bid reported in the Athletic. Suggestions elsewhere that City don't want to go above their valuation of £35M - all of which could be compatible with a £40M bid made up of £35M plus £5M in add-ons. Maybe, maybe not.
As for whether City will be back again - anyone can guess, nobody knows (outside of City anyway). If and when they turn up with a nice new shiny £20 or £30M LB we might breathe easily - at least until after Christmas!
It's been fun looking at Bluemoon this last few days, but I don't think they've got anything new to froth at the mouth about (pretty much the same here TBH!) - all getting a bit boring now!

You would also thik . There must be a cut off point where Brighton would need time to find (sign) a replacement (If they do intend to replace him) and the big kick off is less than a week away.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I suspect the transfer request will have to be in writing. I believe that if the club sell a player they are likely contractually obliged to make certain payments to him however if they request a transfer then he gives up that right.

Which goes back to my earlier post - by putting in the request and forfeiting that payment, it might allow the selling club to accept a lower bid because they're saving on that payout (depending on what I due and how far apart the teams are, of course). Which is why I'm taking it as a 'if it helps' transfer request rather than a 'I demand to be released', and won't be holding it against him.

Obviously currently City are too far away in their valuation for this to factor in, but if they come back with a more sensible offer it might factor in.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It really isn’t “smoke and mirrors”. Solid reporting from both Romano and The Athletic that Albion rejected a £40m bid, have ended negotiations and City , whilst not 100% ruling it out, are looking elsewhere and won’t match Albions “more than Ben White” valuation.
Fine , it could still happen - but most observers would look at it and suggest a lot has to change from here.
Have either Romano or the Athletic specified exactly the terms of the bid, or how that £40M is broken down?
"City , whilst not 100% ruling it out, are looking elsewhere" - exactly - so we can only really relax (at least until after Christmas) when they turn up with a shiny new LB (who is not Cucu), as I said.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Have either Romano or the Athletic specified exactly the terms of the bid, or how that £40M is broken down?
"City , whilst not 100% ruling it out, are looking elsewhere" - exactly - so we can only really relax (at least until after Christmas) when they turn up with a shiny new LB (who is not Cucu), as I said.

I was disputing your view that the reporting was “guesswork, rumour and smoke and mirrors” . It’s clearly not.
As for what happens to Cucu and if Albion can relax , he stays or goes then that’s another issue.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quite an outbreak of realism happening for some at least……

58E403AA-1571-404C-BE50-479C904FD6CF.jpeg

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The Times focussed most of its Charity Shield report on Cucurella and City's desparate need for a left back. If they hadn't been slaughtered down their left side on Saturday, I'd be more confident of keeping Cucu. But I think everyone can see how badly they need to fill that role. They will be back. They will offer enough (though the amount may be disguised as "add ons" to help them save face). And we'll lose a very good player just as the season starts.

My hope (and expectation) is that BHA will have an alternative LB target waiting in the wings. I'd be amazed if we didn't.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Other than the fact Pep was at the Barca academy and coached Xavi, Iniesta, Messi etc. The reason he became Barca coach was because of the good job he'd done coaching the youth talent. It was Pep that then promoted them into the first team and made Barca the force they were under him.

Pep is a quality manager. Potter is also quality. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Indeed. I'd always understood that coaching players - making good players better - is exactly what Pep has been admired for.

I hate Manchester City. Because of their blood and oil stained owners, because of the way they have corrupted football with money and because of their enthusastic involement in the superleague shambles. I think they have played this Cucarella transfer very badly and I think the reporting has often been laughable (with the endless references to how they may 'walk away' as though Brighton have anything to lose either way).

But none of that makes Pep a bad coach!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

this is exactly my thinking. the athletic article says City were able to raise their offer up to 40m. it doesnt read as if thats 40m straight down to me. Romano additionally has referred to this as worth up to 40m

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
this is exactly my thinking. the athletic article says City were able to raise their offer up to 40m. it doesnt read as if thats 40m straight down to me. Romano additionally has referred to this as worth up to 40m

Virtually every transfer deal is done over instalments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here