Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Personally I think a new deal offer is likely off the table after he put a transfer request in.

Maybe for now. He’s probably gonna be put on the naughty step for a while. I think we’ll leave him out of the team for today at least.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This talk of players not joining us because we wont let them go, is totally out of proportion with reality.

True, There are also some over there saying that they should now just pay the £50m. Read Naylor's tweet again lads:- The Albion consider Cucu "a rarer and better player than (£50m) Ben White". In other words £50m won't cut it. I suspect that City's dubious machinations may have now led to the FU tax that I posited may be probable. Their silly scheming seems not only to have failed to reduce the player's price, it may have actually increased it.

Play straight with Tony Bloom.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe for now. He’s probably gonna be put on the naughty step for a while. I think we’ll leave him out of the team for today at least.

I don't.

I expect him to picked and to play.

If we leave him out it will be taken as a sign that we expect him to go.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I don't.

I expect him to picked and to play.

I’d agree if he hadn’t put in a transfer request. Not so sure now he has.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Transfer request was clearly a game-changer. It's inevitable now. Ah well, the player with the big flair hair smashing one past De Gea then promptly bursting into tears will live long in the memory. It's right up there with Ali J's overhead kick v Chelsea half a day into the new decade. Might not mean all that much in the grand scheme of things but f**k me right there right then it felt like the best thing in the world :bowdown: :bowdown:

Cucu's tears were about his son as he said in an interview, nothing about the Albion, why do people keep dredging this out as some kind of landmark moment in a (fictional) BHA love-in?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I do like very much that it is Brighton that have effectively stood up and walked away from negotiations, thereby not allowing City to walk away from the deal, as they reportedly had "threatened" to do.

This is the aspect of this saga that is peeing me off, City, having made a very nice offer to our player, then "threaten" to not go ahead with the transfer at all because they are counting on their offer to our player to make him unhappy, and unwilling to be at Brighton. That insults both Cucurella and Brighton in my opinion. I hope Pep ends up expecting a good shift out of Nathan Ake at left back this season and finds he is too distraught at his Chelsea move not coming off to be of any use.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Cucu's tears were about his son as he said in an interview, nothing about the Albion, why do people keep dredging this out as some kind of landmark moment in a (fictional) BHA love-in?

On the emotional celebration, he added: "Coming here was difficult in the summer, a new league, new country and new language. It is now very exciting for me and my family; when we came, my son was 10 days old. He travelled with me when I changed my city. It is very special."

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I choose to believe that any transfer request that has gone in is more of a 'if it helps, I'm happy to forego any loyalty payments, y'know, if it lets Brighton lower their asking price a little bit. If not, I'm happy to stay and will still give my all' rather than a 'god, I hate it here make the deal happen or I'll sulk', until proven otherwise (and not being picked in a pre-season friendly isn't proof to me - just in case that becomes important in a little bit).

Last edited:

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
This is the way I see it as well. They've been paying out 50 million plus deals like confetti for nearly a decade. I also think there's something behind the scenes, maybe some internal wrangling in the Abu Dhabi state investment fund or something. On some level I also think City fans know that something is a bit odd about this saga and in part I think that explains the terse reaction. They must know that 30 million was never going to tempt us

This is backing it up. Why make such a big deal about it?

Pep Guardiola: Man City boss says club sustainable after record player sales income https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62353494

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I hope he plays so we can see if he has any reaction and to tell Man City situation normal, no probs this end!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Is Dunk still here? Did Elliott Bennett go when he handed in his transfer request and Dale Stephens? No, they went the following year.

Stephens went 4 years later didn't he? And I think Bennet was 6 months later, they first came for him in January, and we made them wait till the summer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is Dunk still here? Did Elliott Bennett go when he handed in his transfer request and Dale Stephens? No, they went the following year.

Not a single one of those is/was anywhere near the class act at the highest level that Cucurella is. At this level, life-changing amounts of money for the player and his family (and his agent) trumps all

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Will be interesting to see if we’ve since retracted our offer of a new deal or have improved on it

I doubt that Tony will enter into any conversations with the agent until this scenario is concluded.

The way I read it is that Tony has got pretty livid with City and the Agent.
He has probably sent the agent off with a flea in his ear and told him to negotiate the best and final offer with City and to not bother talking to him unless that offer tops £50m.

Tony has stated from the offset that only "eye-watering" amounts would be considered.
Totally classless from the agent and City to play these games.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Not a single one of those is/was anywhere near the class act at the highest level that Cucurella is. At this level, life-changing amounts of money for the player and his family (and his agent) trumps all
Yes I’d imagine most people, not all, would move to another town, city or country to double their salary, but if you have signed a contract you can’t just walk away. City have to pay the TB’s valuation or this deal doesn’t happen. The end.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes I’d imagine most people, not all, would move to another town, city or country to double their salary, but if you have signed a contract you can’t just walk away. City have to pay the TB’s valuation or this deal doesn’t happen. The end.

Guess they'll be haggling the price even as we speak. TB's poker face, plus the fact that he doesn't want/need to sell the player and the player has the majority of his contract outstanding will work in our favour. On the other hand, TB won't want a (potentially) unhappy/sulking player/asset left on his books either. Deal WILL be done - with all parties coming away feeling they've got a decent deal. That's how these things work at this level

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Burnley similarly dicked around with the fee offered though, if they had offered nearer the start the £8M they ended up offering on deadline day, they may have got him, but they left Brighton with no time to reliably get a replacement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here