[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I find all the “he’s dead to me now” stuff a bit weird. I work selling software and I love the company I currently work for and its culture. But if someone offered me twice the money to sell even better software I’d jump at it, even if I’d reassured my bosses I was happy a week or so before.

BUT

If there was a system in place between software companies to compensate for poaching and the new big company offered the current one half the correct amount I’d know I’d not be going for a while. There would be at least one round of tripartite bargaining before the matter was settled and someone would end up unhappy.

This is still purely in City taking the piss territory. It’s a low ball offer and we were right to slam the door in their faces. If I was Cucerella I’d actually be a bit upset with my agent. They’ve gone nuclear option on an offer a card player will never accept. If City up it to 45 and we want 50-60 they’ve got nothing left to bargain with.

If he doesn’t go he’ll also be great for us again this season. Spain can still track his progress at little old 9th in the best league in the world Brighton. He ain’t going to want to be sat in the stiffs or deliberately playing badly. And I believe he’s a model pro and that’s why Pep wants him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree except for the 'model pro' label. We assume it's his agent stirring it up (no coincidence that the agent got back from Spain yesterday), but Cucu still has his own integrity in this and handing in a transfer request has, for me, relegated him out of the 'model pro' status into 'a bit of a dick' status.

Trying to force the club to sell him cheap is not the 'model pro'for me. BW and Biss are examples of how to do it as has been said.

Go or stay, either way I'll not be able to look at him with the same amount of affection as last season.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If TB folds on this one, it’ll be Sanchez, Mwepu, Mac, Trossard, Encisco, Caicedo and Webster being lowballed next if a Top four wants them.

He CANNOT back down

Why would a promising player come to Brighton if he’s not allowed to go if a bigger club calls, sadly it works against the club as well

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
And the transfer request changes what exactly? It is just agent games. When Man City offer the correct price things will move. If not, nothing happens. Why all the talk!?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Why would a promising player come to Brighton if he’s not allowed to go if a bigger club calls, sadly it works against the club as well

How exactly? Cucurella will know he is worth pushing 60m on the market given his contract, performance, clubs that are interested in him and previous player sale prices. If Man City don't want to offer that then he will know they didn't really want him or are trying to get him on the cheap.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That's got to be unlikely I'd imagine. I really liked Cucurella but his grubby agents pulling his strings have soured his reputation now. That's it for me now he's put a transfer request in and I don't wish to see him in an Albion shirt again. No hard feelings but just bugger off and chase your dreams with the sportswashers, see ya. Last time a player I recall did similar was Calderón with Southampton but he did a U-turn and became a club legend.

I read second hand a quote from an Athletic article about transfer requests:

“It takes the heat off the owners,“That’s the only reason to do a transfer request in this day and age, so it convinces the supporters that the player doesn’t want to be there and that the club aren’t willing sellers.”

So posts like yours just do City's job for them. If Brighton fans at large now want Cucu gone, our board might well feel more content with accepting a lower offer.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Our entire strategy is based on getting the best price we can for players we scout/develop.

City thinking we will accept a low offer because of their shenanigans, is a bit like us thinking they should vote for stricter FFP sanctions.

ridiculous behaviour!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If he wants to go, get the best price and let him go.

Keeping a resentful player against his wishes is in nobody's best interests.

Nobody is irreplaceable however good they might be.

This is not the point! Brighton say they have a valuation. If it's met they'll not stand in the way of sanctioning the sale of:

1. Their POTS
2. A player just one year into a 5-year contract
3. A left-back we've struggled to find since Potter's been here
4. A player they do not really want to lose

This has been a clear and steadfast stance from OUR club.

If we roll over just because the player or his agent or both have decided to hand in a transfer request "TO FORCE THROUGH A MOVE TO CITY" - we are royally screwed when another player's agent and Barcelona or the rest of the Super League wankers decide that they want a Brighton player. We absolutely have to dig in - even if it results in an unhappy player.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
And the transfer request changes what exactly? It is just agent games. When Man City offer the correct price things will move. If not, nothing happens. Why all the talk!?
I guess the transfer request has changed the narrative, so we’ll be talking even more than we have been already. Hopefully the price tag will remain the same, it’s down to City to pay the money. Genuinely hope TB holds his nerve and holds out for our valuation. UTA.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Perhaps the actual people Man City should be targeting are our scouting team. They could have signed Cucurella themselves for £15m and saved a load of cash.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
How exactly? Cucurella will know he is worth pushing 60m on the market given his contract, performance, clubs that are interested in him and previous player sale prices. If Man City don't want to offer that then he will know they didn't really want him or are trying to get him on the cheap.

How? Agents talk - agents always see clubs as stepping stones

If a club is seen to not play ball agents will talk clients into another option.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Doesn't really change anything, it's always been ridiculous to suggest he wouldn't really like to play for the best team in the best league under pep, and I can't really see any way it creates why more than a few mill wiggle room, and the distance between the two sides valuations appears substantially more than that.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010

If a club is seen to not play ball agents will talk clients into another option.
Disagree. How many of the players we buy go straight into our first team? Usually they go out on loan, we develop them, if they do really well they get into our first team. Only White and Bissouma have been sold to bigger clubs. For all the other players’ agents getting their player a move to BHA / The Premier League was the big pay day.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Not a question of not being allowed to go. A club that pays up to 100 million for a player shouldn’t expect to get away with low balling smaller clubs. Cucu is worth 50 million given what Wan Bissaka and Ake went for, TB is asking for market value. Cucu would not be being poached by City from Getafe, so playing for Albion has raised his profile. He has proved he can play at this level.. Being a Spurs fan you probably think we should roll over and be grateful, that’s the problem with fans of bigger clubs and their hierarchy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

We are a PL club, foreign players want to play in the PL. if they aren’t proven at CL level they’ll have to come to lower PL clubs to prove they are good enough before the big move happens. If Cucu’s agent had held out for City when he was at Getafe he’d still be at Getafe. It’s not rocket science.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I’m pretty confident the club’s position regarding the fee they will accept has not changed. You just have to look at what happened with Ashworth - we didn’t give in. Eventually Newcastle had to cough up. Likewise Ben White. Cucurella is taking a huge risk - he could be training with the U23s instead of turning out for Spain in the World Cup.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
£40m + £10m realistic add ons paid in the short term (pounds not euros) would be fine imho for a player who has only been with us for a season, who was great from the get-go and who we haven't really needed to "develop" like a youngster, and who cost us £15m. V likeable chap it seems but in the Ben White type camp for me tbf, no huge affection or legend status for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports