Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Solly was excellent in the LWB role two seasons ago until he got injured. While Cucurella is better, I really struggle to see why March wouldnt be a capable replacement. If you look at most metrics from 2020/21 and from 2021/22, March beats Cucurella in the majority of them. The best English LWB IMO and if Cucurella moves and March starts in the position, he'll be in the talks for a call-up to the World Cup.

In fairness the waist coated Palace **** did pick him when he was under 21 manager I think but I think you may need to get out of the sun.

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Solly was excellent in the LWB role two seasons ago until he got injured. While Cucurella is better, I really struggle to see why March wouldnt be a capable replacement. If you look at most metrics from 2020/21 and from 2021/22, March beats Cucurella in the majority of them. The best English LWB IMO and if Cucurella moves and March starts in the position, he'll be in the talks for a call-up to the World Cup.

What the hell are you smoking:smokin:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Solly was probably in the form of his career in 2020/21 before his injury at Liverpool, playing LWB.
He could definitely do a job there and if Cucu leaves he would be a decent back up but we’d also need someone else too. Maybe that someone else would be Mitoma as he played in that position for Royal USG.
However, what we’d lose with Cucu is his versatility to play Left Back and left sided central defender. Solly definitely doesn’t have the ability to do that.
Solly is a real confidence player and it helps him when he has a run of games in the team, as he did at the end of last season.

Anyway, back to Cucu, did anyone spot a Twitter rumour that City were preparing a second bid closer to £40m? If true, and no evidence to say it is, why are City bothering with that when they know we won’t budge at that price?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Solly was probably in the form of his career in 2020/21 before his injury at Liverpool, playing LWB.
He could definitely do a job there and if Cucu leaves he would be a decent back up but we’d also need someone else too. Maybe that someone else would be Mitoma as he played in that position for Royal USG.
However, what we’d lose with Cucu is his versatility to play Left Back and left sided central defender. Solly definitely doesn’t have the ability to do that.
Solly is a real confidence player and it helps him when he has a run of games in the team, as he did at the end of last season.

Anyway, back to Cucu, did anyone spot a Twitter rumour that City were preparing a second bid closer to £40m? If true, and no evidence to say it is, why are City bothering with that when they know we won’t budge at that price?

I saw the twitter stuff. Seemed like it was suggested that the new bid was an initial fee, plus adds on which totalled £40m. All part of the mind games in the negotiating process i guess but like you say, what's the point? Will only get rejected.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

A further attempt to continue to unsettle our player, I would guess.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

Just no, If GP thought March was exceptional at LWB why did they spend £15m on a replacement? GP immediately played his new signing.

If Cucurella is sold and March starts against Manure at LWB you would seriously have to question the ambition and I think GP would to. With no Bissouma replacement coming in the door he would be back to square one.

GP plays March in multiple positions, clearly rates him (his utility being something he likes) , and Cucurella wasn’t his “replacement” . If Cucurella is sold then club will buy another left sided player. Caicedo and others are clearly Bissouma’s long standing replacements. You follow the Albion very closely and know the ins:eek:uts of GP, Blooms investment etc etc so I guess you’re being obtuse.

So no
- to questioning the ambition
- being back at square one
- March replacing Cucu
- GP not rating March as exceptional .
- seeing March as his first choice LWB or LCB or LB even though he can play there.

Anything else ?

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing

Because we want to go forward not back. You just admitted Cucu is better Why would we want to go back to 2 years ago? When Solly was being used as wingback all aeverybody went on about was our need for a LWB

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Nearer to £40M than £30M? Well, I guess £49M would neet that particular criterion, and a possible starting point for some haggling. Otherwise they can *uck off.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

No he really wasn't

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I don’t think players pay much attention. It’s all negotiation tactics. We did exactly the same when buying him from Getafe before stumping up the price they wanted - didn’t make much difference to him signing here.

Yes, but the difference there is Brighton were not waxing lyrical about how great he is at the same time as offering peanuts.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I'm one of his biggest fans, but even I think "one of our best players" is a stretch.

He is a good premier league squad player.
Absolutely ideal for our budget.
His versatility ensures he gets plenty of game time and he never lets us down.

He doesn't set the world alight, but if we had a squad of 25 world beaters, we wouldn't be Brighton and Hove Albion.

I don't understand why so many of our fans think he is not up to the job.
He clearly is and every manager he has played for, has confirmed the same.

The fact that every manager plays him regularly, that is nearly always in the matchday squad means he is one of our best players. If he wasn't we wouldn't see him so often. His skill is his tactical awareness and versatility. It is not as glamorous as the skills that Cucurella or Trossard or Lamptey has but it is just as important to a squad. The tactical flexibility he provides a manager is massive and should not be underestimated by people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here