Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I agree with this (big) BUT, they are clearly going to drag this out well into August, maybe to the last day of the window. That is not going to do Potter, our club or fan base any favours. We’re already missing out on LB replacements (Bassey & Tagliafico etc), I hope we don’t end up with March & Clarke as LB/LWB/LCB cover if we leave it too late to replace.

70 million pounds expires 30th July take it or leave it.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
don't disagree. If it maintains his levels then do it but that is not guaranteed. We shouldn't proactively look to do this. Pay 20-30K extra each week for 18 months to get the same transfer fee that would be offer if we didn't offer new wages is simply throwing money at something for no reason.

It’s not for no reason though is it? Hence Dunk signing a new contract every 12 months or so in the past.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I must say if I were Tony I'd be seriously unimpressed by Man City's conduct in this transfer.

Submitting a joke low bid and then getting their client journalist Romano to constantly tweet out how much Cucurella wants a move, how our price is too high, how unhappy the player is, how they'll walk away etc. etc.

Just man up and pay the price tag, or move on without all the Romano bs.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The strangest thing for me is if they want him that badly why not just offer the £50m that would probably get Tony talking?

Yes, I understand no one wants to pay more than they have to, but City practically print their own money and never abide by FFP and have limitless funds, so why not just pay the £50m?

It's monopoly money to them, and like them buying a multimillion pound house and asking for the carpets to be left. What gives?

Turn the sofa over Pep - give Tony the £50m it will take, or if not then just go off and look elsewhere.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The strangest thing for me is if they want him that badly why not just offer the £50m that would probably get Tony talking?

Yes, I understand no one wants to pay more than they have to, but City practically print their own money and never abide by FFP and have limitless funds, so why not just pay the £50m?

It's monopoly money to them, and like them buying a multimillion pound house and asking for the carpets to be left. What gives?

Turn the sofa over Pep - give Tony the £50m it will take, or if not then just go off and look elsewhere.

I mean isn't that how negotiations usually are? Brighton ask for a bit more than it would take, City make a bid for a bit less than it would take and then you meet somewhere halfway.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
don't disagree. If it maintains his levels then do it but that is not guaranteed. We shouldn't proactively look to do this. Pay 20-30K extra each week for 18 months to get the same transfer fee that would be offer if we didn't offer new wages is simply throwing money at something for no reason.

Totally disagree.

Makes complete business sense. Someone signs for a weekly wage that's well below the BHA average. You can say, look, prove yourself in the PL and become a starting XI name and we'll give you a much better contract. Look at Cucu. We gave him a 50% (or whatever) wage increase after 12 months because he performed so well and the Man City deal didn't materialise.

Incoming players know that they have every chance of being on big bucks within a year or 2 with a new and improved contract, no matter their starting wage.

It's also about rewarding effort and hard work.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Totally disagree.

Makes complete business sense. Someone signs for a weekly wage that's well below the BHA average. You can say, look, prove yourself in the PL and become a starting XI name and we'll give you a much better contract. Look at Cucu. We gave him a 50% (or whatever) wage increase after 12 months because he performed so well and the Man City deal didn't materialise.

Incoming players know that they have every chance of being on big bucks within a year or 2 with a new and improved contract, no matter their starting wage.

It's also about rewarding effort and hard work.

Exactly this. Tony also did it with Potter within just a few months…..’blimey, this bloke is better than I thought, I need to pay him more’.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I mean isn't that how negotiations usually are? Brighton ask for a bit more than it would take, City make a bid for a bit less than it would take and then you meet somewhere halfway.

what makes you think for one second this is a negotiation? It isnt. Look at what Arsenal were purported to have said after the Ben White deal- along the lines of - hardest deal we have ever had to make. Never given a figure from Brighton, had to keep going back till we reached the figure TB had in mind, we didn't know if we were £15 off or £15 million-

It will be the same with this one- with no desire to sell, no need to sell, long contract- and despite what your favourite hack is spreading, Cucurella has not demonstrated that he is unhappy here in anyway-in fact the opposite. Of course he is going to be interested in City- who wouldn't be- but it is far from a Dale Stephens and Burnley situation- but that I believe was well before your time so you probably wont count that -and in that TB did not sell until it was right for Brighton-

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Brighton have asked for a price? Really? I think not!

Twatterati have stated plenty of prices, as have NSC and Bluemoon, and even a few wannabee insiders on Twatter trying to pass off wild guesses as ITK - but have you seen a price quoted by Brighton? No, you haven't.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Brighton have asked for a price? Really? I think not!

Twatterati have stated plenty of prices, as have NSC and Bluemoon, and even a few wannabee insiders on Twatter trying to pass off wild guesses as ITK - but have you seen a price quoted by Brighton? No, you haven't.

You're right, I haven't... doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a price.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

There's 'a bit less' and then there's '£10 million less than they paid for Nathan Ake after Bournemouth were relegated two years ago.' Its a nonsense bid, presumably an attempt to get Bloom to show his hand. Pointless, as he'll just give them the full Janet Kay.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're right, I haven't... doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a price.

Brighton say make us an offer. We have a valuation not a price. There isn't a ticket tied to his wrist, as he isn't actually for sale unless City make a ridiculously high offer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'll be really sad if he goes this window. I was hoping for one more season.

If he does go, I hope we only sale him if the price is 50+

I hate Pep with a vengance, he is such a bad loser, the way he behaved towards our Graham when Graham celebrated one of our goals against them was disgusting, I mean it's not like he never celebrates any of the goals his team score. Hipocrate!

blind-date.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here