Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Innit.

More like ‘Guardiola risks egg on face after derisory Cucu bid’.

I get the feeling Man City as a club aren't anything like as keen on Cucurella as Guardiola is. If they were then I doubt we'd be seeing any of this bollocks, they'd have stumped up £65m a few weeks ago to just get it done. Wonder if there's someone else pulling some rank in the back offices at the Etihad?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I get the feeling Man City as a club aren't anything like as keen on Cucurella as Guardiola is. If they were then I doubt we'd be seeing any of this bollocks, they'd have stumped up £65m a few weeks ago to just get it done. Wonder if there's someone else pulling some rank in the back offices at the Etihad?

Just struggle to see Txiki, Pep and Ferran not being in sync after working together very successfully for nine years in Barca and City.

My guess - a bit of a long shot, but still my guess - is that Man City made an enquiry at some point and TB/DW gave an answer that they really didn't want to hear - "£70m and he is all yours!", and if they then made a bid for £50m TB/DW would just smile and think "well, sooner or later they'll raise it to £70m". By starting on £30m instead, there might be a bit of give and take in the negotiations and perhaps end up somewhere around £50m. Maybe.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The one thing that annoys me about the reporting of this all summer is the 'City are willing to walk away from the deal if Brighton don't lower their asking price' line.

We're not a market stall hawking our wares for sale where haggling is expected. They want to buy our player who we don't want or need to sell. There is no 'deal' until they offer us something that we can't refuse(whatever that may be).

I think they're happy with all the noise. The real intention is to unsettle Cucurella in the hope he pushes so hard for a transfer that Albion drop the price.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think they're happy with all the noise. The real intention is to unsettle Cucurella in the hope he pushes so hard for a transfer that Albion drop the price.

I don't have a problem with the noise, it's part of the 'dance'. It's just that one line that keeps getting pushed by the press of man city walking away from the deal as if they're doing us a favour.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't have a problem with the noise, it's part of the 'dance'. It's just that one line that keeps getting pushed by the press of man city walking away from the deal as if they're doing us a favour.

It is annoying, isn't it? They're treating us as if we're desperate to sell MC to balance the books and get him off of our wage bill. We've already got a transfer income of 40m in this window alone, and that's on top of last season's 70m. I think we'll be fine to hang on to him for another season and cash in this time next year, thanks.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This sounds like a plausible enough scenario.

(From city's message board)

Personally I think it's possible a deal has already been agreed but that this is staged in the media so that everyone can look like they did right. Brighton negotiated hard and raised our bid significantly from what we offered, we negotiated to less than Brighton wanted but still paid a lot for a player we wanted. Brighton have time to get a replacement in, with the opportunity to keep the price low as Cucu hasn't left and this is a just in case signing. Their fans can say they got loads of money, our fans can say we got the player at the going rate. And the media get clicks until its done. Everyone wins

Or I'm just too cynical for my own good.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Completely unrealistic rumour and/or made up by some clickbait website/tweeter - Andy Naylor says no

Reported in some serious newspapers or by some respected transfer journalists - Andy Naylor says maybe

Reported by plenty of sources, headlines on BBC or Sky Sports or similar - Andy Naylor say yes

No need to talk to Paul Barber or anyone at the club if you work according to the method above. You could do his job.

[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] you just get stranger and stranger. Andy Naylor Groupies!? The journalist who has come in for more criticism on NSC than every other journalist on the planet altogether, and is fairly roundly disliked by a lot of Brighton fans. Whatever next?

It's still that same point again, that complete inability to understand that just because Brighton are in the Premier League, we aren't like Man Utd or Real Madrid. We're a small club in a small city in a sleepy county. People know each other and a local hack like Naylor who has reported on the club for decades of course has more knowledge and sources at the club than a journalist from a big national newspaper or Sky Sports does. What is so hard to understand? It's astonishing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And every other post is seemingly arguing the toss with him.

Now that is a fair point.

Quite what anybody, who may well have a 30+ year 'relationship' with Naylor, and a life long relationship with the club, are getting out of arguing this particular toss is anybody's guess.

I don't have a clue.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010

Personally I think it's possible a deal has already been agreed but that this is staged in the media so that everyone can look like they did right. Brighton negotiated hard and raised our bid significantly from what we offered, we negotiated to less than Brighton wanted but still paid a lot for a player we wanted. Brighton have time to get a replacement in, with the opportunity to keep the price low as Cucu hasn't left and this is a just in case signing. Their fans can say they got loads of money, our fans can say we got the player at the going rate. And the media get clicks until its done. Everyone wins

I think that is just very wishful thinking from City fans.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Suspect this isn't too wide of the mark (pun intended). I'm sure all deals are done on the qt between the actual men with the money. The pr teams are then engaged manage the leaks and the press releases.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Tagliafico has joined Lyon

Bugger !!!

He seemed to be hanging on in terms of making a final decision, in hope of a better offer. Assume this didn't arrive.
I'd suggest he got the nod that we weren't in need of a LB replacement as Cucu likely to stay as City low balling us.
He wasn't going to come here to sit on the bench.
I'd actually suggest that this is an indication that we feel Cucu will stay, so we should be pleased?

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Cucurella is a consummate professional and genuinely seems to like being part of the Albion so I don't think we have to fear that he will try to force a move.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
In the great Fab versus Andy debate,a crucial development.

8A28279B-6038-428D-A6AF-4DC723478922.jpeg

94DB77CC-1B5D-4B38-9293-65E11700FAD9.jpeg

Jack Gaughan is the Mail northern sport journo who got the interviews with both Pep and Grealish.

Fab adding and miss attributing quotes for clicks?

Shirley not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"Ake can play there"

Music to Bloom and Barber's ears.

Ake or Cucurella is a bit like when Paynter deputised for Bridge. :lol:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Cucurella is a consummate professional and genuinely seems to like being part of the Albion so I don't think we have to fear that he will try to force a move.

Nonsense

Pep vs potter
Titles/champions league vs 9th place
Haaland vs maupay
200k vs 60k

He’ll force a move if required.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Really you think this could br true

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here