[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He won’t hand in a transfer request. Suspect the club have had a very clear discussion with him/his agent - we don’t want you to go, we’ll upgrade your contract etc etc but we’ll only be selling you if City meet our asking price.

Can’t see City jumping from 30 to over 50 in this window.

Agree with the first part. Dont think he will do that either... I'm guessing his real dream is Barcelona which is an opportunity that perhaps could happen next year.

However I do think there is a chance that City will significantly improve their bid.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I find it more plausible than The Guardian, Sky Italia and CBS hiring a bloke who just makes wild guesses :shrug:

Obviously Andy Naylor is great for the Athletic. Not one single piece of exclusive information, yet his groupies decide to percieve it as exclusive.

Fabrizio Romano publishes exclusive, ITK information, getting it right more than anyone else and is labelled here as a "chancer".

Meanwhile Andy Naylor never publishes exclusive, ITK information and is labelled as ITK and knowledgeable.

Of course it is a great asset for The Athletic to have a journalist who can produce very cheap, time-efficient journalism through glorified retweets and still get a bunch of readers. Once he retires they can just replace him with some bot that is able to figure out what the most plausible rumours are.

To be honest I don't follow transfer speculation all that closely, because I generally find it quite dull. So I'm not very "ITK" about who is supposedly "ITK" - I'd never even heard of this Romano bloke before this summer. I dunno why you're making it a cock-waving contest between Naylor and Romano.

You obviously lend him a lot of credence which is fine, perhaps he isn't one of the blatant attention-seeking bullshit artists that Twitter is always festooned with. But I've followed Naylor for years (even in print well before the days of Twitter), he's been reporting on BHA for donkeys years, knows the club inside out and is a VERY reliable source. He can be a bit snarky towards fans at times, but he does not post bullshit, deliberately misinform or punt out aimless speculation, which for me is the most important thing. As for the timing - I'm not overly interested if someone else comes out with news slightly before Naylor, because I don't spend my life checking hourly for updates on transfer news.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
To be honest I don't follow transfer speculation all that closely, because I generally find it quite dull. So I'm not very "ITK" about who is supposedly "ITK" - I'd never even heard of this Romano bloke before this summer. I dunno why you're making it a cock-waving contest between Naylor and Romano.

You obviously lend him a lot of credence which is fine, perhaps he isn't one of the blatant attention-seeking bullshit artists that Twitter is always festooned with. But I've followed Naylor for years (even in print well before the days of Twitter), he's been reporting on BHA for donkeys years, knows the club inside out and is a VERY reliable source. He can be a bit snarky towards fans at times, but he does not post bullshit, deliberately misinform or punt out aimless speculation, which for me is the most important thing. As for the timing - I'm not overly interested if someone else comes out with news slightly before Naylor, because I don't spend my life checking hourly for updates on transfer news.

Well done. Saved me the bother!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I can't help thinking there's some jealousy involved.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jones The Steam was getting shite 4 seasons ago.
Or
It becomes Harry Northerner's turn at some point in the future.

But for now its Naylor.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Lord Naylor knows everything. He just can't/won't tell it before everyone else does.

:bowdown:

I'm not a particular fan of Andy Naylor's writing style or his attitude to Brighton fans and even NSC on occasion, but you probably missed a very good point made by [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION]

AN may not be the first to say we ARE interested in a player but he is almost always the first to say we are NOT interested in a rumoured signing and is mostly accurate on this count. This shows the two way street he has. Don't reveal our targets (in order we don't get gazumped by a big spending rival) and the quid pro quo is we'll tell you when a rumour is bollocks.

Whenever there's been a player thread on here and you see "Naylor (or Owen) say no" we almost never sign that player or even bid for them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I started to wonder if, much as Tony hates release clauses, he does occasionally sanction them at £50 million in some contracts.

It seems an almighty coincidence that £50 million was the fee for White and the same figure is being talked about for Cucurella.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I'm not a particular fan of Andy Naylor's writing style or his attitude to Brighton fans and even NSC on occasion, but you probably missed a very good point made by [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION]

AN may not be the first to say we ARE interested in a player but he is almost always the first to say we are NOT interested in a rumoured signing and is mostly accurate on this count. This shows the two way street he has. Don't reveal our targets (in order we don't get gazumped by a big spending rival) and the quid pro quo is we'll tell you when a rumour is bollocks.

Whenever there's been a player thread on here and you see "Naylor (or Owen) say no" we almost never sign that player or even bid for them.

Another excellent post :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I started to wonder if, much as Tony hates release clauses, he does occasionally sanction them at £50 million in some contracts.

It seems an almighty coincidence that £50 million was the fee for White and the same figure is being talked about for Cucurella.

Think it’s precisely because of White that £50m is being quoted - basically set a benchmark for any young defender we’ve got that a ‘big’ club want. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if Tony’s figure is north of that

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Think it’s precisely because of White that £50m is being quoted - basically set a benchmark for any young defender we’ve got that a ‘big’ club want. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if Tony’s figure is north of that

Good point. Tbh I think Cucu is our best signing in the PL era. Although, that’s obviously up for debate.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Of course whilst the “bidding” is underway, there was a report on an improved contract for Cucurella, unless City go >£50m I suspect we will shortly hear about a new improved contract and how Brighton is his home. The agent will still moderately win on the new deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
What’s fairly obvious is this:

Naylor does have some Albion intel and is definitely briefed on what he can and can’t reveal.
Romano definitely has some football intel and mostly tweets only things he’s sure are fairly accurate.
Naylor definitely has more Albion intel than Romano.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Completely unrealistic rumour and/or made up by some clickbait website/tweeter - Andy Naylor says no

Reported in some serious newspapers or by some respected transfer journalists - Andy Naylor says maybe

Reported by plenty of sources, headlines on BBC or Sky Sports or similar - Andy Naylor say yes

No need to talk to Paul Barber or anyone at the club if you work according to the method above. You could do his job.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Do you think Andy Naylor doesn't have a 'hotline' to Paul Barber?

You really struggle to understand how things work at this club, don't you? Understandable I guess, given your location. Are you ever going to come and watch us?
He made a bollock with Zamora and a couple of others during the championship era.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Hope we're all excited for another thrilling episode of "Swanny is always right".

It's live, right now.

It's fecking TEDIOUS tbh. Consistent thread hijacking.

Just like EastEnders, you have a limited plot line (NSC threads) and they regurgitate the same old, same old again and again with little tweaks on who said what, or slept with who.

It's like arguing with a petulant, pizza eating, dope smoking, knife wielding, paranoid kid that's always got to be right until their last breath.

Oh....

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Bissouma for me, then Cucu. Gross and Veltman for value.

Fair enough. But how long did it take Biss to shine compared to Cucu?

Cucu really hit the ground running, slotted straight into the team and improved us immediately. Biss didn’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports