Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Do you honestly think that The Athletic would have bothered head-hunting and employing a journalist who has built a long career on just cutting & pasting other journalists stories ?

Really ?

Give the lad some slack. He’s probably never heard of John Vinnicombe either

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He could do a very similar job to what he is doing now. Foreign or other British journalists tweets or writes something about a player, Andy Naylor repeats the exact same thing a day or two later and his groupies are amazed by his deep inside knowledge... easiest job on the planet.

Your vendetta against Naylor is ratcheting up. Yes, he's got a fairly easy job, but the reason why we like him is in a sea of clickbait about BHA, he and Owen are an oasis of reliability. The vast majority of fans welcome that.
And, no, I'm really not a Naylor groupie. Are you a Romano groupie, or is that a childish accusation?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Some other journalists also check their info. All Andy Naylor needs to know is who the most reliable journalists, look at what they write, and then use the word "exclusive" as if he had done anything himself.

Same thing every deal, same thing every year. Some or another journalist finds information about Brighton doing some deal, people say "meh Marca/Romano/ESPN/Sky can't possibly know anything", then Naylor repeats what Marca/Romano/ESPN/Sky says and all his fanboys are starstruck. Him being later than everyone is always explained that "he checks things", as if no one else don't, and him never revealing anything is because "the club won't let him". He literally can't fail. Repeating the information of others and labelling as his own exclusive ITK stuff... like I said, easiest job on the planet.

"Some" - exactly. You would be amazed how many people don't check things. Just a couple of examples: how many writers on the nationals repeated the Dunk to Leicester stories when a simple call to his agent (or even to Leicester, who would have told them that Soyuncu had been groomed as the Maguire replacement) would have shot the story straight down? At least one on every paper. Or what about that Mail tale that Bissouma had demanded a transfer, which was never checked with anyone at the club. Barber was spitting feathers, I can tell you.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
So he just made a wild guess yesterday that a) City would make a bid and b) it would be far from Brightons valuation. "Just guesswork, a clickbait chancer"

Then some 24h later Andy Naylor says City just made a bid far from Brightons demands and he is considered some oracle with a hotline number to Paul Barber.

I think the difference is Romano has been saying basically the same thing every day for a month. Naylor hasnt. We all expected this to happen (city make a low bid, brighton reject it). That doesnt make us ITK any more than Romano saying "a city bid is ready to go and will be put in anyday now" a month or so ago,and repeated every couple of days since.
The fact that Naylor and Owen have been saying no bid made until the last 24 hours indicated they are actually more ITK than Romano has been over the Cucurella affair

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So he just made a wild guess yesterday that a) City would make a bid and b) it would be far from Brightons valuation. "Just guesswork, a clickbait chancer"

Then some 24h later Andy Naylor says City just made a bid far from Brightons demands and he is considered some oracle with a hotline number to Paul Barber.

Andy Naylor attends the press conferences at the training ground. I have also sat next to him at an Albion dinner.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Next report will be Cuca has handed in transfer request, i hope not but wouldn't be surprised if he does

Like Stephens did when Burnley first came calling? That's not going to make Tony cave to an under-valued bid.

Of course Stephens did finally get his dream move and one can only marvel at the bench warming, drink driving relegation fest that followed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Next report will be Cuca has handed in transfer request, i hope not but wouldn't be surprised if he does

That would certainly change the dynamic.

Interest from City is bound to be a head-turner for any player, but he seems very happy and settled here, and (to me) doesn't seem "the type" to start making ructions. I would also assume that following his outstanding debut 'player-of-the-season' season with BHA, he'll have already been offered an improved deal here, which would hopefully be a factor.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

Can't see that happening at this stage, not with a 30m bid. Maybe if they offer 45m and we reject that, he might then start trying those tactics. He has 4 years left, we hold most of the cards on his contact.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You need to stop worrying and catastrophising on an almost daily basis.

If he goes we'll get a fair and generous price and have got a decent replacement in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Like Stephens did when Burnley first came calling? That's not going to make Tony cave to an under-valued bid.

Of course Stephens did finally get his dream move and one can only marvel at the bench warming, drink driving relegation fest that followed.

And where is he now?:)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Do you honestly think that The Athletic would have bothered head-hunting and employing a journalist who has built a long career on just cutting & pasting other journalists stories ?

Really ?

I find it more plausible than The Guardian, Sky Italia and CBS hiring a bloke who just makes wild guesses :shrug:

Obviously Andy Naylor is great for the Athletic. Not one single piece of exclusive information, yet his groupies decide to percieve it as exclusive.

Fabrizio Romano publishes exclusive, ITK information, getting it right more than anyone else and is labelled here as a "chancer".

Meanwhile Andy Naylor never publishes exclusive, ITK information and is labelled as ITK and knowledgeable.

Of course it is a great asset for The Athletic to have a journalist who can produce very cheap, time-efficient journalism through glorified retweets and still get a bunch of readers. Once he retires they can just replace him with some bot that is able to figure out what the most plausible rumours are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
City looking cheap!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here