[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I really hope he stays as he’s a super player with a great engine and I enjoy watching him play. Unfortunately we all know City have the financial capabilities to pay whatever we ask if they really want him.

They obviously have a red-line over which they won’t go. They’ve walked away from plenty of deals over the last few seasons.
I think he’s staying.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
They obviously have a red-line over which they won’t go. They’ve walked away from plenty of deals over the last few seasons.
I think he’s staying.

City are using the media to try to intimidate Bloom into doing a deal by saying they will look elsewhere if the price is too high. Deliberately unsettling the player but they surely know who they are dealing with

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I really hope he stays as he’s a super player with a great engine and I enjoy watching him play. Unfortunately we all know City have the financial capabilities to pay whatever we ask if they really want him.

Agreed. As for City They presumably want him, or at the least are interested and they have a sizeable transfer budget given their backers (we all know that) but that doesn’t mean they’ll simply pay anything. That’s the rub isn’t it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The other bit of the equation is that he would be a shoe-in for Spain if he goes to City, whereas with us he will be a bit more under the radar.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yep. I'm excited to see a regular midfield three of Mac Allister, Caicedo and Mwepu. I think Mac is a natural in that deeper role and actually more suited to it than playing further forward.

And I still have high hopes for Alzate. The Chelsea home game proves that he can play that role effectively and I presume Potter agrees.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
He will go if City want him, two major players leaving won’t be good with Cucurella and Bissouma we still went on long winless runs and losing streaks, without those major players it could get concerning.

It was concerning with those major players too :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
City are using the media to try to intimidate Bloom into doing a deal by saying they will look elsewhere if the price is too high. Deliberately unsettling the player but they surely know who they are dealing with
Indeed.

They think we will go "No, no come back. Buy at a low ball price... please". Lol.

They genuinely believe it is a negotiation not a fixed price.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I used to get angsty during transfer windows but I am now very chilled about it.

Agreed.

I think I've finally accepted/fully understood the club's transfer/succession policy. It's not as exciting as many other clubs', but it's very smart and very sustainable.

Last edited:

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Agreed.

I think I've finally accepted/fully understood the club's transfer/succession policy. It's not as exciting as many other's clubs, but it's very smart and very sustainable.

Yup. Took us to 9th last season.
You might be forgiven for thinking the club had a plan of some sort? :shrug:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Agreed.

I think I've finally accepted/fully understood the club's transfer/succession policy. It's not as exciting as many other's clubs, but it's very smart and very sustainable.

it'll be exciting to see how far it takes us, that's for sure. though in fairness, we have seen at least two significant first team additions in every single summer transfer window. it may be the case that we've already had them, but if certain players end up being sold then who knows

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
We all love the Albion as does Bloom. With him in charge, I never get stressed about anything, Cucurella included. Best time in the club's history from my perspective and let's just enjoy it.Really is that simple for me.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010

I agree in part. Yes they could get him and yes they probably want him, BUT they simply cannot be seen to be constantly and massively paying over the odds, either in their eyes or more importantly in the eye of other clubs. Truth be known he’s probably around £45M but to us he’s worth a lot more, maybe £65M. City could pay that, but then what does that look like to other clubs, it looks like “just name a price and City will pay”. They can’t be seen to do those types of deal all the time, which is why I think he’s staying.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Agreed.

I think I've finally accepted/fully understood the club's transfer/succession policy. It's not as exciting as many other clubs', but it's very smart and very sustainable.

I know what you mean. We don't get the buzz of signing a big money star. We have rarely seen our signings or heard of them till they become a rumour. Our most expensive signing to date is Webster. Don't recall any kind of buzz at all. If we knew what CuCu would be like, we sure as hell should have got a buzz. But this season, I'm buzzing with expectation for Mwepu, Caicedo, Sarmiento, Enciso, Wozlowski, Mitoma, Undav and Ferguson at least. We clearly don't need a chancy, expensive marquee signing. Who knows. Potter might even get a tune out of Karbownik.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We all love the Albion as does Bloom. With him in charge, I never get stressed about anything, Cucurella included. Best time in the club's history from my perspective and let's just enjoy it.Really is that simple for me.

How long have you been an Albion fan Popeye and why did you become one? I am guessing that you are not an ex pat from Sussex

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I know what you mean. We don't get the buzz of signing a big money star. We have rarely seen our signings or heard of them till they become a rumour. Our most expensive signing to date is Webster. Don't recall any kind of buzz at all. If we knew what CuCu would be like, we sure as hell should have got a buzz. But this season, I'm buzzing with expectation for Mwepu, Caicedo, Sarmiento, Enciso, Wozlowski, Mitoma, Undav and Ferguson at least. We clearly don't need a chancy, expensive marquee signing. Who knows. Potter might even get a tune out of Karbownik.

Naylor says Karbownik isn’t in GP’s plans this season. Along with Andone, Richards and Zeqiri.

Agree with the rest of your post though.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I agree in part. Yes they could get him and yes they probably want him, BUT they simply cannot be seen to be constantly and massively paying over the odds, either in their eyes or more importantly in the eye of other clubs. Truth be known he’s probably around £45M but to us he’s worth a lot more, maybe £65M. City could pay that, but then what does that look like to other clubs, it looks like “just name a price and City will pay”. They can’t be seen to do those types of deal all the time, which is why I think he’s staying.
Agree with the reasoning for sure (not nailing my colour to the "he's staying" mast!) - despite having infinite funds, there's multiple reasons why you'd still want to be seen to be getting a fair deal in transfer negotiations, rather than just cave in to the seller's demands every single time. That gives us a glimmer of hope they'll move onto other targets that they consider to be better value - probably from clubs/owners with greater incentive to sell.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

The only flaw with this approach is that it only works if Brighton want to sell. As we don't then its has zero chance of intimidating anyone, let alone Tony Bloom, or whoever they talk to at Brighton.

People seem to think that this is a negotiation between Brighton and City, it isn't.

City may have made a mistep in transferring Zinchenko to Arsenal , they now need a LB, and time is ticking. They need to get a deal on a LB sooner rather than later- so that puts more cards in Tonys hands. We all know there is no effective limit on what they CAN pay, but the question is WILL they pay over the odds for Cucu, when there are LB available for less who have achieved more

If Man City are actively looking at alternatives then they do have a limit , and I have a suspicion that the amount Brighton will ask for exceeds that, and that whislt still possible, everyday no bid is received makes it more unlikley Cucu is going

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports