Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The more this drags on the more I think he's staying.

Only 6 1/2 more weeks for Man City to pump some more oil to raise the cash to meet the price tag.

Agree with this. I thought it'd happen either the week just gone or the next one. It's not just that we'll bump up the price for disrupting our plans, it's also that the big clubs virtually always get their transfer business done early. The fact that Zinchenko is going does indicate that they are confident of getting a left back.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Agree with this. I thought it'd happen either the week just gone or the next one. It's not just that we'll bump up the price for disrupting our plans, it's also that the big clubs virtually always get their transfer business done early. The fact that Zinchenko is going does indicate that they are confident of getting a left back.

Maybe it is true that they have to sale players to raise the cash. Just looking over twitter it nearly 5 weeks since the so called ITK were tweeting personal terms accepted just a matter of days until he signs, even the top journalist were saying the same. Its still not sure if they have made a bid for him.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Maybe it is true that they have to sale players to raise the cash. Just looking over twitter it nearly 5 weeks since the so called ITK were tweeting personal terms accepted just a matter of days until he signs, even the top journalist were saying the same. Its still not sure if they have made a bid for him.

If Guardiola does want him, then I find it hard to believe that City would start pre-season without such an apparently key player, while risking his ‘top target’ (Fabrizio Romano and others) getting injured in games for us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why can't they "lend themselves" some oil money ?

It's a nonsense to suggest they are actually waiting for player sales to raise money.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It's a nonsense to suggest they are actually waiting for player sales to raise money.

Working on a 'one in, one out' basis to avoid ending up with an over-inflated squad perhaps. Or maybe even Citeh feel they have to at least nod politely to FFP?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Quite seriously they might need to balance the books FFP wise. Apparently, Haaland's overall cost was well in excess of the actual fee and Grealish will be within the current 3 year spend as will Phillips.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If Guardiola does want him, then I find it hard to believe that City would start pre-season without such an apparently key player, while risking his ‘top target’ (Fabrizio Romano and others) getting injured in games for us.

This is what i dont understand, top target and as far as we know no official bid. Ake was set to move thats fallen through, the only LB they have looks set to go to Arsenal, they have the money.

Maybe they thought they could get him for a cheap price and as soon as the offered a low offer we would cave in. If i was in talks with a player that i really wanted i would ask him not to be played in a friendly in case he gets injured. Maybe they dont want him and its just made up by so called ITK fans puttin 2+2=50.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The more this drags on the more I think he's staying.

Only 6 1/2 more weeks for Man City to pump some more oil to raise the cash to meet the price tag.

I think they’ve realised TB is not going to be a walkover, Leeds took a cheapish fee for Phillips because they needed the money to reinvest, we do not have that problem.

As others have said, there are clearly FFP issues at play. I think they’ll need to sell Zinchenko and possibly Ake to balance the books if they are to meet our valuation on Cucu. Annoyingly, that process may well take 6 1/2 weeks.

The sooner we get a new left back in the better.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think they’ve realised TB is not going to be a walkover, Leeds took a cheapish fee for Phillips because they needed the money to reinvest, we do not have that problem.

As others have said, there are clearly FFP issues at play. I think they’ll need to sell Zinchenko and possibly Ake to balance the books if they are to meet our valuation on Cucu. Annoyingly, that process may well take 6 1/2 weeks.

Difficult to buy a new left back as long as Cucurella is around when the new guy will be well aware he could end up doing somewhere around 0 minutes if Cucurella ends up staying.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

The Ake deal fall through, he just signed a new contract now i think.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Working on a 'one in, one out' basis to avoid ending up with an over-inflated squad perhaps. Or maybe even Citeh feel they have to at least nod politely to FFP?
It's made up rubbish.

I'm not saying they won't need to sell. They just don't need to do it first.

No way do they have to wait until a sale is made. They can ship a player out to New York or Melbourne if things get really desperate.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Quite seriously they might need to balance the books FFP wise. Apparently, Haaland's overall cost was well in excess of the actual fee and Grealish will be within the current 3 year spend as will Phillips.

Haaland’s overall cost was indeed an extra 30-40m in agent’s fees not to mention his annual wage, but nah, City’s owners will just confect another random sponsorship deal with themselves if they thought FFP was an issue. The narrative of City needing to sell before they can buy is just so-called ITK Twitter accounts trying to back track on claims made over a month ago that it was as good as a done deal.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Difficult to buy a new left back as long as Cucurella is around when the new guy will be well aware he could end up doing somewhere around 0 minutes if Cucurella ends up staying.

However, as you more than most know, nothing is ever clear cut with GP setting the tactics. According to Transfermarkt Cucu played 9 times at CB and 8 times at LM last year, as well as his 18 games at LB. The designated covering players at LB were Solly March and Dan Burn and at least one of those two also played in 32 of Cucu's 35 EPL appearances. Obviously they are both adaptable players who can do a job in a number of different positions, but I would expect that any player we we are looking to sign would need to be the same. Calvin Bassey, for instance, made 12 league appearances at CB for Rangers last season.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think City don't want to pay £50 mill, that's the price we've set, transfer precedent with Chilwell and Wan Bissaka would indicate that's a fair price for a player with many years left on his contract.

I wish they'd either pay up or piss off.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think City don't want to pay £50 mill, that's the price we've set, transfer precedent with Chilwell and Wan Bissaka would indicate that's a fair price for a player with many years left on his contract.

I wish they'd either pay up or piss off.

It’s more than that. Cucu is incredibly highly rated at our club and clearly by Pep too.

Based on Cancelo, I think we’ll be asking for £60m:

“On 7 August 2019, Cancelo joined Premier League champions Manchester City in a six-year deal worth £27.4 million plus Danilo being sent to Juventus in part-exchange, equalling to £60 million.”

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He is also a proven Premier League player and a Spanish international. Like with White and Bissouma there's no unknown quantity here. Moreover, his price could go up - if he was English he'd have the left back spot nailed down already.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
However, as you more than most know, nothing is ever clear cut with GP setting the tactics. According to Transfermarkt Cucu played 9 times at CB and 8 times at LM last year, as well as his 18 games at LB. The designated covering players at LB were Solly March and Dan Burn and at least one of those two also played in 32 of Cucu's 35 EPL appearances. Obviously they are both adaptable players who can do a job in a number of different positions, but I would expect that any player we we are looking to sign would need to be the same. Calvin Bassey, for instance, made 12 league appearances at CB for Rangers last season.

Cucurella is a freak of nature and in any game he played as a CB he also played LWB at the same time. GP also seems to have more faith in March than a lot of people on NSC.

I don't think there will be a similar player signed unless Cucurella leaves but if he does, I agree it will be someone capable of playing in multiple roles, like the Bassey guy.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Cucurella is a freak of nature and in any game he played as a CB he also played LWB at the same time. GP also seems to have more faith in March than a lot of people on NSC.

I don't think there will be a similar player signed unless Cucurella leaves but if he does, I agree it will be someone capable of playing in multiple roles, like the Bassey guy.

We had Lamptey and Veltman on the right of our defence.

Potter wants Cucu and a left footed CB, Bassey would be the one if he wasn’t in Amsterdam signing a contract today. If Cucu goes, that’s 2 (two) left footed defenders we’d need. Maybe Tag & Colwill?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here