[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
So bloomy is trying to draw out a bid? Can only think that's the reason he's commented. He never comments on things like this.

Replacement lined up but for a limited period ?

2+2=6?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
So bloomy is trying to draw out a bid? Can only think that's the reason he's commented. He never comments on things like this.

2+2=6?

Possibly doesn't want it to drag out into August ?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

2+2=6?

More likely he knows one is coming than he is trying to draw one out imo. Will almost certainly be the asking price being met too. Hence the realism comment.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Does the window still go into the new season, will be annoying if it goes on that long especially if a replacement is required.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That was my thought as well. Also managing fans (our) expectations about what will happen if a bid he deems big enough is received.

Yup. Maybe sending a message to the people who think Brighton will reject all bids or only accept £80m etc. in order to hopefully win the league or something next season.

Maybe he is just trying to make people tag along to reality land so they wont be as disappointed if a deal happens.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder if we're heading for a disappointment ................ fees seem to be low-balling at the moment, so maybe the transfer bubble has statrted to burst. Kalvin Phillips, England international with the English premium gone for £42-£45M. Leeds, or Leeds fans anyway, must have been expecting £60 or £70M, or even more. A Brazilian international prolific striker and multiple trophy winner goes from one big six club to another for £45M. Tielemanns goes from Leicester for about the same price as Bissouma.
Another Brazilian international (albeit a slightly faded one) goes from United to Fulham for a paltry £10M, and Argentine international Nicolas Tagliafico that we may or may not be interested in apparantly only wants to go to a CL club - and he's available for ~£5M apparantly!

So that £60-£70M we were dreaming about for Cucu (and yes, I know that's purely fan speculation, nothing to do with TB's views or the club') - maybe the 'going rate' is now more like £35-£45M. Now, whether TB accepts, say £45M as an offer that can't be refused in this current climate - or whether he just decides no thanks, we'll just keep Cucu - I have absolutey no idea! Whatever happens, I'm now thiinking that one way or another we won't be selling Cucu for £60M plus any time this summer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I disagree on this. I think he's softening us up. He didn't have to say anything. I do agree that he'll only sell him for the price he has in mind, but I suspect it'll come.
I suspect the bid will come as well.

Tony is setting out his stall.

I read " if a certain bid comes in " as a bid which meets a very specific price tag.

I suppose "certain" could mean "concrete" as opposed to "wishy-washy" but I think that is unlikely - all formal bids are "concrete" after all. I think "certain" means "specific".

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I wonder if we're heading for a disappointment ................ fees seem to be low-balling at the moment, so maybe the transfer bubble has statrted to burst. Kalvin Phillips, England international with the English premium gone for £42-£45M. Leeds, or Leeds fans anyway, must have been expecting £60 or £70M, or even more. A Brazilian international prolific striker and multiple trophy winner goes from one big six club to another for £45M. Tielemanns goes from Leicester for about the same price as Bissouma.
Another Brazilian international (albeit a slightly faded one) goes from United to Fulham for a paltry £10M, and Argentine international Nicolas Tagliafico that we may or may not be interested in apparantly only wants to go to a CL club - and he's available for ~£5M apparantly!

So that £60-£70M we were dreaming about for Cucu (and yes, I know that's purely fan speculation, nothing to do with TB's views or the club') - maybe the 'going rate' is now more like £35-£45M. Now, whether TB accepts, say £45M as an offer that can't be refused in this current climate - or whether he just decides no thanks, we'll just keep Cucu - I have absolutey no idea! Whatever happens, I'm now thiinking that one way or another we won't be selling Cucu for £60M plus any time this summer.

Not really comparable situations. Tielemans, Jesus and Tagliafico all had contracts that end next year like Bissouma.

Peirera is crap.

Phillips price was about right IMO and it was a perfect storm. He desperately wanted to join them and Leeds knew he was going to kick up if they didn't let him join. He also recently changed agent to an agent that City know well and acts for Grealish too plus he only had 2 years left on his contract anyway and is 27 in December so not early 20's either which for a player who relies on high energy is a consideration. £45 million is about right for a player who won't be an instant starter for them too.

For what's it's worth, personally I'm fairly confident Cucurella will join City and would expect the fee to be circa £50 million.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
City seem to be dragging their heels on this one so if a bid does not come in the next week I can see us shutting down completely the possibility of him going this window.

If reports are true Nicolás Tagliafico is still an option for us but he is holding out for further bids which we are unlikely to make if an offer for Cucurella has not been made.

I cannot see the club letting him go late on the window leaving us scrubbing around for a first choice left wing back.

Think it’s put up or shut up time for City and I am more confident we will see him with us next season as if City were really serious about signing him it would be done by now

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Basically it'll be :

MC : " Hi, we'd like to put in a bid for Marc of £30 million ".

Albion : "Rejected. Call us back when you have a better offer".

MC : " Hi, we'd like to put in a bid for Marc of £31 million ".

.... 4 weeks later :

MC : " Hi, we'd like to put in a bid for Marc of £59 million ".

MC : " Hi, we'd like to put in a bid for Marc of £60 million ".

Albion : "Done. We'll draw up the paperwork".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not really comparable situations. Tielemans, Jesus and Tagliafico all had contracts that end next year like Bissouma.

Peirera is crap.

Phillips price was about right IMO and it was a perfect storm. He desperately wanted to join them and Leeds knew he was going to kick up if they didn't let him join. He also recently changed agent to an agent that City know well and acts for Grealish too plus he only had 2 years left on his contract anyway and is 27 in December so not early 20's either which for a player who relies on high energy is a consideration. £45 million is about right for a player who won't be an instant starter for them too.

For what's it's worth, personally I'm fairly confident Cucurella will join City and would expect the fee to be circa £50 million.
Whatever - it still indicates a downward trend, or at least stagnation.

We both agree, I think, that Cucurella probably won't be sold for £60 or £70M this summer.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I wonder if we're heading for a disappointment ................ fees seem to be low-balling at the moment, so maybe the transfer bubble has statrted to burst. Kalvin Phillips, England international with the English premium gone for £42-£45M. Leeds, or Leeds fans anyway, must have been expecting £60 or £70M,

The Phillips fee is quite an interesting one. He had a relegation clause of £24m so Leeds can thank Danny Welbeck even more for missing that chance at Leeds (A). This goes into more detail about why Leeds settled for that figure.
https://theathletic.com/3388158/2022/07/04/manchester-city-phillips-transfer-leeds/

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Whatever - it still indicates a downward trend, or at least stagnation.

Far too early to say . The Guardian tracker of the top 5 Leagues has it currently with 7 weeks to go at £1.6bn in terms of total deals done.
Last summer it was £2.6bn at the end of the window.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
We hope this we hope that! The fans love him, the players love him, bloom loves him blah blah blah.

No bid exists so far.

If City do want him they will bid and they WILL get him.

It's really not has complicated as its being made out to be. He is literally only still a Brighton player because no bid has been made. It has nothing to do with bloom/lizard the master poker player tactician!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We hope this we hope that! The fans love him, the players love him, bloom loves him blah blah blah.

No bid exists so far.

It's really not has complicated as its being made out to be. He is literally only still a Brighton player because no bid has been made. It has nothing to do with bloom/lizard the master poker player tactician!

Indeed, it’s quite stunning that this thread is closing in on 0.5 million views. Go out and enjoy the sun everyone.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

No bid exists so far.

Nothing to do with the person who, at the end of the day, has the final say on any bid made :lolol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Leeds needed the money to reinvest (massively). We don’t necessarily. Leeds need to do their business early doors, we don’t necessarily.

As Naylor says, if City want him, it’s £50m+. I happen to believe TB is really digging his heals in here. Sadly, I think City will pay it if Pep really wants Cucu (why wouldn’t he?).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports