Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No way is he going to oust March either, unless March gets injured or loses form dramatically. Cucurella will have to earn a place - and that is not a given.

My feeling is that we'll play a four at the back more often this season, so Cucu at LB and March wide-left could be a regular formation. You could also turn that into a back-5 if desired, with March as wing-back and Cucu as a left-sided CB - or maybe there will simply be some serious competition for the spot between the two, and that can only be good.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Suspect March will move to the right - at least until Lamptey is back.
March could also play further forward.
Cucarella is a superb footballer - I REALLY hope we get this one over the line

Retrograde move to shift March to his 'wrong' side just to accommodate Cucurella (so when, in that scenario, Lamptey comes back, March moves back and Cucurella loses his place?)

Moving March forward is really a non-starter - there is no place waiting for him there. GP does tinker a lot, but one thing that is pretty constant in his tenure at Brighton is his reliance on wing backs and a flexible front three to provide the width, not out and out wingers. Welcome to the squad Cucurella (if he comes).

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
My feeling is that we'll play a four at the back more often this season, so Cucu at LB and March wide-left could be a regular formation. You could also turn that into a back-5 if desired, with March as wing-back and Cucu as a left-sided CB - or maybe there will simply be some serious competition for the spot between the two, and that can only be good.

If Webster, Duffy, Dunk keep up the for they've shown so far, I would say there is very little chance of playing a back 4. That being said, suspensions/injuries inevitably will play a part and require a shuffle. Ultimately though, if it ain't broke...

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Retrograde move to shift March to his 'wrong' side just to accommodate Cucurella (so when, in that scenario, Lamptey comes back, March moves back and Cucurella loses his place?)

Moving March forward is really a non-starter - there is no place waiting for him there. GP does tinker a lot, but one thing that is pretty constant in his tenure at Brighton is his reliance on wing backs and a flexible front three to provide the width, not out and out wingers. Welcome to the squad Cucurella (if he comes).

Think they’ll be fighting for that position.
Which wouldn’t be a bad thing.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit

and where does Veltman fit?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Fair point - but three at the back has been so successful it's difficult to see it regularly being ditched.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

The wing-back system not only suits us but it is a great way of nullifying teams like Watford that try and get the ball forward quickly to their dangerous wide men, and with our personnel it gives us great height at set pieces.

It also enables Potter to start Gross whilst also playing Biss and Lallana in CM. It will be interesting to see what happens when Lamptey is back. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lallana moved to the bench, Moder / MacAllister alongside Biss and Gross behind the front two.

In theory Gross should be bench material by now, but the stats don't lie - I believe that's 40 Prem goals or assists now.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I do hope we get the same Lamptey back……. In fact I pray for that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Fair point - but three at the back has been so successful it's difficult to see it regularly being ditched.

yeah, I agree, but thats just from a perspective of us looking nice playing it - but I can see Potter trying different ideas...

the case to change:

1. The formation suited our strengths and weaknesses last season: five at the back was perfect for Ben White, as he wasn't (isn't) a good enough defender to play in a two, but demanded to be on the pitch; also we didn't really have any natural full-backs, they were either converted CB's (Veltman and Burn) or natural wing-backs (Lamptey and March). No White, extra Cucurella, a back four is more feasible this year.

2. We have a surfeit of midfielders with not many places to play them - Bissouma, Lallana, Gross, Moder, Mwepu, Caicedo, Alzate, Mac Allister, Trossard - so we theoretically get an extra place on the pitch for one of them (although with added March in the mix)

3. Despite it looking nice, we scored fewer goals than we should have, with slow build up play a possible consequence of a back 5. Once Lamptey's pace was removed we weren't attacking quickly on the flanks, we used it to overload teams in midfield but the end result wasn't as many goals as we liked. A switch to a four could allow us to get the ball forward quicker.

4. Potter did try a four on a few occasions - it almost never worked but how much was that a result of the full-back (Burn) getting skinned by the right-winger - e.g. Traore, Saka.... shame the couple of times we tried it it was up against the best right-wingers in the league......

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

I had thought without White we may switch to a 4-2-3-1 formation similar to many of the top sides in the league but playing 3 CB's works to so many of our strengths. Potter is keen to seen a fluid transition during play and having players like White/Webster/Veltman who can play CB or FB adds versatility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here