[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I would be amazed but very happy. He’s gone imo

I think he probably will go. Sad but true. But somebody will have to make it worth our while.

But if he were not to, I think he would knuckle down and get on with it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Bissouma and Cucurella aren’t champions League players. We made them into Champions League players. That’s how it works…
Anyway the implication that club isn’t looking for incoming in those areas and not looking to strengthen - using these ££ - is nonsense (see Grillitsch, Bassey, Colwill interest)
Cucurella was quality from day one not sure we did to much there. Anyway that wasn’t really the point as I’m sure you are aware.
Taking a player from another position and making him fill in isn’t really ideal, the season starts this weekend and I’ve not seen us linked with anyone apart from this Chelsea kid who TT doesn’t seem to rate for the first team.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Plenty have suggested Mitouma but he mainly only played in that role when USG were behind and looking for goals... because he is defensively pretty not-so-good (though could improve of course),

.... and why buy an exciting, attacking oriented player, only to stifle him with mainly defensive duties.

I think we have to call them 'Asian' now, not 'Oriented'.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Without checking the results and performances, I am not sure we ever really missed Bissouma. Not because he wasn't good, but because other players, probably mainly Caicedo, seemed to fill the gap. Towards the end of the season, I thought we improved without him, so I think your predicted accumulated improvement in midfield is already happening.

With Biss: 11 wins in 26 games
Without Biss: 1 win in 12 games

Not quite sure where the "improvement without him" was or how "he was never really missed" but I' hopeful that the new midfield dynamics will work out.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It's not bed wetting to discuss the team when we lose players.

Personally , Losing Biss whilst always a loss I feel we can cover it well.

Losing Cucurella certainly weakens us. Hopefully we can identify another quality replacement quickly

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It's not bed wetting to discuss the team when we lose players.

Personally , Losing Biss whilst always a loss I feel we can cover it well.

Losing Cucurella certainly weakens us. Hopefully we can identify another quality replacement quickly
We didn’t cover it well last season tbh. We have the same players.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We are potentially losing our two best players who made a massive contribution to the success of the team last year and are currently replacing from within the squad. Call it bedwetting if you wish but I will be much more comfortable with the seasons prospects when these are replaced. I hope the talk of colwill etc bears fruit soon.

Better get used to it, it’s the club’s stated and intended strategy. Caicedo will be next summer’s star sale IMO.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Apparently we turned down a player plus cash deal. Seems like we want cold hard cash on this one.

We don't want money! We won't ask for any fee! We don't want a player that we haven't meticulously researched! We've instigated nothing! We would however, very reluctantly accept funds that match the value that we place on Marc leaving the club. That's it!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With Biss: 11 wins in 26 games
Without Biss: 1 win in 12 games

Not quite sure where the "improvement without him" was or how "he was never really missed" but I' hopeful that the new midfield dynamics will work out.

Stats always interesting……presumably this includes, for example, West Ham where we weren’t winning until after he was hooked.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Bit of an enigma and one off talent. Pretty irreplaceable. We’re not just filling the void positionally hence the asking price.

This is a real loss I’m afraid.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hopefully moving forward the club will look to buy players a bit shitter so no one else wants to buy them

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Better get used to it, it’s the club’s stated and intended strategy. Caicedo will be next summer’s star sale IMO.
Every club who has tried to do the PL on the cheap has failed eventually. Interesting TB used to be all about keeping our best players now he seems to have switched on that stance.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

Cucurella was quality from day one not sure we did to much there. Anyway that wasn’t really the point as I’m sure you are aware.
Taking a player from another position and making him fill in isn’t really ideal, the season starts this weekend and I’ve not seen us linked with anyone apart from this Chelsea kid who TT doesn’t seem to rate for the first team.

If your arguing that we should not sell players to the top 6 regardless (even If the bids are “eye watering”,) , don’t trust Potter to develop players in multiple positions to strengthen squad if players leave , injuries, tactics OR and not plan for exits by bringing in alternatives like Caicedo, Mwepu, etc (and further players this summer before end of window) then I disagree.

PS: Amazed you’ve not seen us credibly linked with players other than Colwill this summer. Or that you’re assuming our business is done. And amazed that TT being prepared to sell means he wouldn’t be a valuable buy in your view. - but agreed he’s not a like for like replacement for Cucu.

Last edited:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I think he probably will go. Sad but true. But somebody will have to make it worth our while.

The problem with this is we need the player far more than we need the money. If we want to continue having seasons like last year we need to keep hold of these players, otherwise its back to bottom of the table tussles and eventual relegation.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Every club who has tried to do the PL on the cheap has failed eventually. Interesting TB used to be all about keeping our best players now he seems to have switched on that stance.

Wouldn’t call, say, Southampton a failure. Tony is trying to break the mould somewhat anyway - hence the huge (for a club of our size) investment in Lancing. There’s always going to be a food chain, we’re just much higher up it now than we’ve ever been thanks to what he’s done.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

So you’re arguing that Bloom either needs to invest more or , as his strategy (sustainable) is doomed or we need a new owner (like Newcastle ? ) who will not do the “PL on the cheap”.
Really ?

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Stats always interesting……presumably this includes, for example, West Ham where we weren’t winning until after he was hooked.

Yes. On the other hand, the one win without him was a game against a lost and confused Brentford who at that point was in a freefall.

And then there's obviously other stats... pretty much all of them pointing towards Bissouma being one of the best defensive midfielders in the league. Some peoples false, bullshit narratives that he was "sulking", "downing his tools" or "we're better without him" had no basis in reality. The win against West Ham, in which he played half of the game, doesn't change the fact that Brighton struggled very a lot to win without him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The problem with this is we need the player far more than we need the money. If we want to continue having seasons like last year we need to keep hold of these players, otherwise its back to bottom of the table tussles and eventual relegation.

Very difficult to keep a player when he’s offered CL football and 2/3 x his salary, and if we continually refuse to sell in those circumstances then the strategy is fooked as promising younger players won’t join us if we’re seen to block their path. All we can sensibly do is hold out for a massive fee and only sell if that’s met (the ‘too good to refuse’ offer that anyone selling anything wants)………which is exactly what we’re doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports