Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
This is the problem with this league, the less affluent clubs work damned hard finding young, relativity cheap players and then building them, getting to a point where the team starts to get it together and produce a good season, only to have the cream ripped off the top by the mega rich and then we are back to rebuilding and another relegation scrap. I really don't know what the answer is but it seems to me we accept the PL as a play toy for the mega rich clubs and are allowed to enjoy the spectacle for a few years or we bring in serious salary caps and lose the cutting edge skill of the best players. I remember the uproar when Spurs brought in Villa and Ardiles, whatever you think that about that it was certainly a sign of changing times.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is the problem with this league, the less affluent clubs work damned hard finding young, relativity cheap players and then building them, getting to a point where the team starts to get it together and produce a good season, only to have the cream ripped off the top by the mega rich and then we are back to rebuilding and another relegation scrap. I really don't know what the answer is but it seems to me we accept the PL as a play toy for the mega rich clubs and are allowed to enjoy the spectacle for a few years or we bring in serious salary caps and lose the cutting edge skill of the best players. I remember the uproar when Spurs brought in Villa and Ardiles, whatever you think that about that it was certainly a sign of changing times.

To take them for every petro $ and some, using it wisely to augment our squad.

The only sad thing for is that most supporters put Cucurella on a huge pedestal, likening him to Ward, Lawrenson and Zamora. Then after 9 months (if reports are correct) he’s hoping to jump ship. [Yes I know it’s Guardiola, CL and the financial cheats]

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

The only sad thing for is that most supporters put Cucurella on a huge pedestal, likening him to Ward, Lawrenson and Zamora. Then after 9 months (if reports are correct) he’s hoping to jump ship. [Yes I know it’s Guardiola, CL and the financial cheats]
We do keep voting them POTS and off they go to the big boys, next season we should vote someone who hardly plays.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yeah it's all very sad, but it is the plan.

To stay in the top ten, we will need to increase the wages we offer.
To do that we need an income source other than the TV deal/gate receipts.
Player sales is that revenue stream.

Hopefully this year's intake will be good enough in 2 seasons time to be sold to the big boys, and we can keep the progression going.

The biggest threat to this model is losing Potter.
He has the tactical nous to keep our first team performing at this level with a constantly shifting best 11.

It will be far harder to replace him than it will be Bissouma/Cucurella.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Sure, but this just justify the potential buyer low-balling.

"Will you take £30M?"
"No."
"£35M?"
"No." ..... and so on.

They're hardly going to come in with,
"How about £70M?"
"Yes, OK, deal ....................... oh, by the way, we'd have taken £60M if you'd offered it."
........ are they?

Peter Risdale did with Seth Johnson.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wasn't it more like:

Arsenal - we'll give you £35m for Ben White.
TB - No
ARSE - £38M
TB - No
ARSE - OK, £40M. Final Offer.
TB - No
ARSE - £43M
TB - No
ARSE £45M
TB - No
ARSE - How about £48M to save face?
TB - No
ARSE - OK £50M Alright with you?
TB - Agreed. Pleasure doing business.

Just grateful neither of you chose Stephens to Bumley as your analogy.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
He has the tactical nous to keep our first team performing at this level with a constantly shifting best 11.

100% and TB will be well aware that GP’s ambition’s outstrip what we can offer as a ‘patsy’ for top six clubs. A tricky balancing act.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Hopefully this year's intake will be good enough in 2 seasons time to be sold to the big boys, and we can keep the progression going.

Spot on - great post

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Spot on. It's Potter and the squad momentum and ambition that's the key. Cucu is great, but other players were close behind him for me as POTS, Veltman for example. When they play well (admittedly not every game) Trossard and Welbeck are bigger match winners for me than Cucu. It'll be a challenge to evolve with an annually changing squad but I believe in Bloom's model, and look what they've done at USG. Ajax do very well with their model, we can do the same. Let's not get hung up on one player, it's the mind set and skill mix of the collective that's key.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Exactly. Everyone has to absolutely get used to this being the norm for us. Very possible, for example, that Caicedo will be off to a CL team next summer if his trajectory continues……..but it’ll be for another club record transfer fee if he does.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
100% and TB will be well aware that GP’s ambition’s outstrip what we can offer as a ‘patsy’ for top six clubs. A tricky balancing act.

Do they though?

Possibly GP recognises that TB is his ideal club owner.
Until GP achieves something extraordinary, the clubs most likely to come in for him, may not back him in the same way Tony does.

He has allegedly already knocked back Spurs.
I think GP knows the current set up is a match made in heaven and he hasn't hit the "ceiling" yet.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Do they though?

Possibly GP recognises that TB is his ideal club owner.
Until GP achieves something extraordinary, the clubs most likely to come in for him, may not back him in the same way Tony does.

He has allegedly already knocked back Spurs.
I think GP knows the current set up is a match made in heaven and he hasn't hit the "ceiling" yet.

Yeah I wouldn't worry much about GP. Unless a big fat club comes in for him, I don't think he is going anywhere.

Not many owners would give him enough time. Not many clubs would allow him to keep his staff, and I think that part is important to him. He has been working with Björn Hamberg for 11 years now and with Billy for 9.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Seems a lot of NSC are interested in the practice and tactics of negotiating. I can strongly recommend having a read of "Never Split The Difference" by Christopher Voss, an ex FBI hostage negotiator. Its so informative and really interesting. A bit of an eye opener into the psychology of getting to a deal.

Buy through the NSC Amazon link of course!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't want to worry people but I heard a very hush hush rumour that Cucu has...

...agreed personal terms.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Well, i don't think it's entirely spot on. What's the point in increasing the wages, if we have to sell the players that would command those higher wages, in order to fund them?

We would like to prevent the likes of Bissouma and Cucu having their head turned elsewhere by offering them higher wages. But we also need their sale fee to fund those wages. The sales would have to continue so we can continue funding higher wages, and round and round it goes. Its all a bit Escher.

Moreover, our competitors are also selling players for high fees, see Saints, Villa, Leeds, Palace, Leicester, so we're not making any headway on those clubs if our increased revenues are just player sales.

I think the way to fund higher wages is non football income, whether direct investment, or increased sponsorship, or side businesses, because that can then be applied to the existing squad, not the next one. It is also a way that we can gain advantage on our competitors, if we are able to maximise those opportunities better than they are.

I think this is part of the thinking behind our recruitment policy regularly signing players and especially young starlets from across the globe, be it Belgium, Spain, Ecuador, Cote D'ivoire' Argentina, Poland, Japan, Switzerland, Paraguay, Iran, South Africa, Germany, Holland, Australia, Senegal, Zambia - I'm sure the list is longer and will continue to grow... for me this is partly about growing our brand, making the name Brighton and Hove Albion well known around the world, to create revenue opportunities globally, raise our sponsorship potential and other earnings. After all, that's where the big 6 have their most distinct advantage.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Lets also remember GP gets aways with it here if he doesn’t get the team winning for half a season. A bigger club and he would be out the door sharpish. It suits both parties at the moment.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Take some of their better, younger players on permanent deals, with the fee managed via the cucu sale. Money won't hurt them, losing their next crop would

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here