Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Marathon #4 done for me, #5 will be Eastbourne in October! Yesterday was a nice race to run in, but I'm disappointed with my 3:59:54 time. In context, it's ok - but it's always a shame to run a disappointing time in the home Marathon. I could go and enter Milton Keynes, run a sub 3:30 and nobody would really care because it wasn't Brighton! Either way, it's a good experience for me and should (hopefully) help shape my running discipline in future.

Congrats to [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION] especially, running as a rhino is both beautiful and mental! Congrats to all runners and supporters. :thumbsup:

Good to meet you on the hill up to Ovingdean, must admit till I read this I thought you were miles ahead, we must have finished nearly together.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
No worries. Damn those speedier rhinos. At least one of them was local anyway. I only found out there were three of us coming a couple of days before. Met up with one of the others on the seafront at the end.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Good to meet you on the hill up to Ovingdean, must admit till I read this I thought you were miles ahead, we must have finished nearly together.

You too GB, massive congratulations. I faltered in Shoreham and my pace suffered massively, you must have continued at a steady pace and you were ahead of me until just past the Brighton Pier. I found a bit more in the tank and sprinted (sort of) the finish to get in under 4 hours. Just.

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
I ran a 3:50 which is 9 mins down on my pb. I just ran too quickly in the first half. I knew it as well but I was feeling good. The crowds were great and the volunteers amazing. It s good marathon but a few problems this year; not enough toilets, a ridiculously small kit bag and having to start in a muddy field. Still a lot to be thankful.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I consider myself a competent runner rather than a good one. Before yesterday I'd only ever run one event before. That was the Brighton Half Marathon the year before, which I completed in rhino costume. Yesterday I upgraded and ran my first (last?) full marathon, also in rhino gear. I was the last of the three rhinos to come home. Finished in 6 hours 8 minutes, which was a shame, as I'd wanted to beat six hours but early on I decided to sacrifice any sense of speed so that I could actually sit back and enjoy the day.

And how...

What a day that was. My wife and I had paid by American Express and gained entry to the hospitality area. No sooner had we got in than I was pretty much pounced on by Zoë Ball, who shook me by the hoof and wanted to know all about "why rhino?" She seemed a bit alarmed to hear that it was my first marathon given the costume.

Then I was grabbed for a radio spot on Juice FM. I suspect I was a pretty poor interview (sorry everybody) but I don't have a PR background, eh?

Then the race began. It was dastardly hot and uncomfortable in there. I downed a litre of Powerade and stopped at every water station from 15 miles on but I really needed it, as I was sweating like a running tap from two miles. I genuinely smelled like a rhino too from about half distance and will need a gallon of Febreze before returning the costume tomorrow.

Through all of that though I was just blown away with the event, the other runners and the crowd. The encouragement was never ending and there was just so much goodwill on display. I pulled over to dispense who knows how many rhino high fives. I stopped near 17 miles to put on a bit of a dance for some locals that had rigged up some music for the runners. I applauded the crowds as I came into the home straight. Basically I show boated the hell out of it. It was wonderful.

I did the whole thing for charity obviously and have managed to rack up over £2 ,000 but it's great that at the end of the months of training and pain and sweat and all that I was able to enjoy the event for myself too. It was wonderful strolling along the beach in costume at the end and having total strangers come up and slap me on the hide or slip some coins (or even notes) in the collecting bucket. A couple of vodkas in Northern Lights and a slap up Thai meal in Kemptown and a couple of bottles of champers followed. It was just a day that I'll never forget.

Now plotting the BM10K next year purely for personal fun. Another excuse to have a great weekend in Brighton, a chance to work on times for a change and obviously keeping up my 100% rate of only running events in my favourite city on earth bar none.

Thank you Brighton & Hove. I adore you.

The following pic is of me from the Brighton & Hove News website. Check out that horn.

View attachment 73741
Fair ****ing play. :bowdown:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Also Zoe Ball is lovely isn't she, a proper people person.

Fully agree. Full of life. I hung back at the end of the red corral and high fived her. She shouted out have a good run, mate. She's always smiley when you see her round Hove Lagoon. Norman's not bad either.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
I agree on the comments about the toilets - queued for half an hour and only got two thirds of the way to the front before having to abort as the baggage lorries were about to go. This meant I had to stop on the course which really didn't help!

Couldn't believe Zoe was still high-fiving people when we went past her at the start. She must have had a sore hand by the end. Did anyone else see Norman Cook as you turned onto the beach for the run home? He was really going for it, shouting out peoples names on theirs vests - really impressed...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I consider myself a competent runner rather than a good one. Before yesterday I'd only ever run one event before. That was the Brighton Half Marathon the year before, which I completed in rhino costume. Yesterday I upgraded and ran my first (last?) full marathon, also in rhino gear. I was the last of the three rhinos to come home. Finished in 6 hours 8 minutes, which was a shame, as I'd wanted to beat six hours but early on I decided to sacrifice any sense of speed so that I could actually sit back and enjoy the day.

And how...

What a day that was. My wife and I had paid by American Express and gained entry to the hospitality area. No sooner had we got in than I was pretty much pounced on by Zoë Ball, who shook me by the hoof and wanted to know all about "why rhino?" She seemed a bit alarmed to hear that it was my first marathon given the costume.

Then I was grabbed for a radio spot on Juice FM. I suspect I was a pretty poor interview (sorry everybody) but I don't have a PR background, eh?

Then the race began. It was dastardly hot and uncomfortable in there. I downed a litre of Powerade and stopped at every water station from 15 miles on but I really needed it, as I was sweating like a running tap from two miles. I genuinely smelled like a rhino too from about half distance and will need a gallon of Febreze before returning the costume tomorrow.

Through all of that though I was just blown away with the event, the other runners and the crowd. The encouragement was never ending and there was just so much goodwill on display. I pulled over to dispense who knows how many rhino high fives. I stopped near 17 miles to put on a bit of a dance for some locals that had rigged up some music for the runners. I applauded the crowds as I came into the home straight. Basically I show boated the hell out of it. It was wonderful.

I did the whole thing for charity obviously and have managed to rack up over £2 ,000 but it's great that at the end of the months of training and pain and sweat and all that I was able to enjoy the event for myself too. It was wonderful strolling along the beach in costume at the end and having total strangers come up and slap me on the hide or slip some coins (or even notes) in the collecting bucket. A couple of vodkas in Northern Lights and a slap up Thai meal in Kemptown and a couple of bottles of champers followed. It was just a day that I'll never forget.

Now plotting the BM10K next year purely for personal fun. Another excuse to have a great weekend in Brighton, a chance to work on times for a change and obviously keeping up my 100% rate of only running events in my favourite city on earth bar none.

Thank you Brighton & Hove. I adore you.

The following pic is of me from the Brighton & Hove News website. Check out that horn.

View attachment 73741
You ran past my flat on franklin road just as I was leaving for a day down the beach! Fair play mate

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I agree on the comments about the toilets - queued for half an hour and only got two thirds of the way to the front before having to abort as the baggage lorries were about to go. This meant I had to stop on the course which really didn't help!

Couldn't believe Zoe was still high-fiving people when we went past her at the start. She must have had a sore hand by the end. Did anyone else see Norman Cook as you turned onto the beach for the run home? He was really going for it, shouting out peoples names on theirs vests - really impressed...
Were you waiting for the proper bogg or urinal. I queued up half an hour and nearly missed the start needing a piss not releasing urinals were tucked behind the portaloos. They were marked on the map so it kind of serves me right, but they could of had a marshal running along that queue making people aware (or signs?). A few people ended up running back to the queue and walked along its length telling blokes that there were separate urinals because quite a few hadn't realised.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You ran past my flat on franklin road just as I was leaving for a day down the beach! Fair play mate

Pepa pig was hot on your tails too..

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Were you waiting for the proper bogg or urinal. I queued up half an hour and nearly missed the start needing a piss not releasing urinals were tucked behind the portaloos. They were marked on the map so it kind of serves me right, but they could of had a marshal running along that queue making people aware (or signs?). A few people ended up running back to the queue and walked along its length telling blokes that there were separate urinals because quite a few hadn't realised.

Unfortunately the urinals weren't sufficient (although I resorted to them in the end!). However, I blame Southern the most for cancelling half the trains down from Haywards Heath. Ended up having to rush out of the house and didn't have time to go, but thought I'd be able to go on the train. However, train was rammed so couldn't move an inch...

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Have to agree with the toilet situation. I queued for 15 minutes when I got to PP and barely moved with over 50 people in front all waiting for one cubicle. I gave up thinking I could dive in just before the start but that didn't work either. 11000 people with around 60 toilets was piss poor management ( no pun intended) . That said I ran better than I ever hoped for so maybe it worked in my favour and it really is my only gripe on an otherwise perfect day.

Im in awe of rhino man, bloody heroic effort.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I think the rhino suits were by far the most barking thing I saw anyone running in.

There was also someone near the back running in a red pillar box outfit. I think that would feel a bit strange, being followed by a post box.

Oh, and several nipples were also running. No testicles though....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Unfortunately the urinals weren't sufficient (although I resorted to them in the end!). However, I blame Southern the most for cancelling half the trains down from Haywards Heath. Ended up having to rush out of the house and didn't have time to go, but thought I'd be able to go on the train. However, train was rammed so couldn't move an inch...

Bet Rhino man JimHigham didn't have that problem.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There was also someone near the back running in a red pillar box outfit. I think that would feel a bit strange, being followed by a post box.

Oh, and several nipples were also running. No testicles though....
Haha a saw him running alone by the level, poor fella!

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Going to Charlton on Saturday, staying over and running the London Marathon the following day. Hoping to do it in somewhere between 3.30 and 3.45

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here