Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As a R1 listener in the 80’s, I can’t remember him ever mentioning football at all. Strange that.

Just his inane introductions on repeat of Nik Kershaw.
Wouldn't It Be Good if he was a bit more gracious in defeat against the mighty Seagulls?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Look past the clickbait headline...lots of positive comments on the club.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but all of our goals were real quality, but they all came from square balls.

For each goal, the provider had several options to choose from.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I like on the MOTD highlights there’s a guy on the Pedro goal in the home end wearing a half and half scarf videoing the celebration on his phone, makes a change to see that for us against a big team and not the other way round

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Yesterday was my first visit to Old Trafford and it's made me reflect a bit about Man United as a club. They seem utterly dragged down by their past. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way - if you had the legacy and history and success they had you'd celebrate it, but it seems to be an enormous anchor on them moving forward. Where our past is a springboard for the present and future, theirs is a weight that drags them down.

Arsenal had it for a bit maybe, but have managed to shake it off now - after yesterday I can't see Man United doing the same because they are so hooked on their history. The banners around the ground are all Law, Best, Charlton, Fergie and successes from over a decade ago. Munich is of course rightly commemorated and remembered too. Outside the ground it's still about the treble, the half and half scarf sellers are also doing a roaring trade in scarves celebrating Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo, Fergie...I didn't see anything at all about the present except the banner on the front of the stadium that's as much about the shop as anything else.

Then the announcer shoehorning in every time they could the "theatre of dreams" and "best club in the world" as if they are trying to convince fans who have only marginally seen more success than Leicester since Fergie left that nothing has changed. You can hear it on the phone-ins, and talking to their fans too -"this is Manchester United...we shouldn't be like this..." and the enormous levels of entitlement about decisions, about their players, about the manager.

I've got a United supporting colleague (actually from Manchester) who says he's never known their fans so deflated as now and he's noticed the number of overseas fan groups being welcomed each game is dropping season after season. He's genuinely concerned that the likes of Aston Villa, us, "even Spurs" are the new world order of football and Man United and Chelsea never realised how good they had it. I think he might have a point.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yesterday was my first visit to Old Trafford and it's made me reflect a bit about Man United as a club. They seem utterly dragged down by their past. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way - if you had the legacy and history and success they had you'd celebrate it, but it seems to be an enormous anchor on them moving forward. Where our past is a springboard for the present and future, theirs is a weight that drags them down.

Arsenal had it for a bit maybe, but have managed to shake it off now - after yesterday I can't see Man United doing the same because they are so hooked on their history. The banners around the ground are all Law, Best, Charlton, Fergie and successes from over a decade ago. Munich is of course rightly commemorated and remembered too. Outside the ground it's still about the treble, the half and half scarf sellers are also doing a roaring trade in scarves celebrating Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo, Fergie...I didn't see anything at all about the present except the banner on the front of the stadium that's as much about the shop as anything else.

Then the announcer shoehorning in every time they could the "theatre of dreams" and "best club in the world" as if they are trying to convince fans who have only marginally seen more success than Leicester since Fergie left that nothing has changed. You can hear it on the phone-ins, and talking to their fans too -"this is Manchester United...we shouldn't be like this..." and the enormous levels of entitlement about decisions, about their players, about the manager.

I've got a United supporting colleague (actually from Manchester) who says he's never known their fans so deflated as now and he's noticed the number of overseas fan groups being welcomed each game is dropping season after season. He's genuinely concerned that the likes of Aston Villa, us, "even Spurs" are the new world order of football and Man United and Chelsea never realised how good they had it. I think he might have a point.
Yer when you put it like that it's quite miraculous that man u are still as big and popular as they are.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can anyone answer this, did we (some of us discussing) put a clause in RDZ contract that he can’t leave mid season but is free to move during the summer?
I believe it was reported that there is a buy out clause in his contract that only comes into effect during the season. So he can leave during the season, but it would cost the club that want him. If he moves during the summer, it won't cost them.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
Just watch the reaction of the Man u team to Mejbri's first goal for the club that illustrates the contrast with Albion and what's wrong with MU. OK they were already down and out but there was No acknowledgement let alone celebration from his teammates. He was elated, they couldn't give a toss. Its all about the individuals and the self. Nothing about the team.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Obviously there is going to be a massive kicking for Man Utd, blaming everyone, the owners, the manager and the players and we all know why I think. Little old Brighton rocked up and kicked arse, metaphorically! They are the biggest spenders over the last ten years, finished 4th last season and play in the Champions League this week. “Not good enough!” I hear them cry. Please God, I hope we never end up that entitled.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I don’t think it’s really about “Little old Brighton” tbh, Man U seemed to be expecting a poor result before the game and won’t be surprised at losing to us, we aren’t under the radar anymore.

I think it’s just about their own poor performance at the end of last season and the start of this one. Ten Hag hasn’t been able to improve things and they look as bad as ever, regardless of who they play.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
As a follow up to this, in the morning we did mountain carting, basically go karting down a 5k hill track in the high Tatras in the middle of nowhere on Slovakia.
Is that on the ground - or on a wooden tube type thing built on stilts. We came across the latter when hiking in the Tatras 30 years ago, and always wondered what it was!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Someone sent me this. :)

Attachments

• 380421577_10159865999502261_2735186942760572787_n.jpg
    380421577_10159865999502261_2735186942760572787_n.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 136

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Long journey home from the match was made somewhat bearable listening to the endless stream of whingeing mancs phoning into talksport……bless

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Long journey home from the match was made somewhat bearable listening to the endless stream of whingeing mancs phoning into talksport……bless
Heard a load of Utd supporters but few mancs. One made a 5 1/2 hour trip from Wycombe by car. His sense of direction mirrors that of his club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here