Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we beat Burnley all will be well and we can forget about this performance.

Arguably, Duffy would deserve to start against Burnley, regardless of Dunks's red.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Townsend's comment when Maguire grabbed Moder with two hands and threw him to the floor was that 'He was just that bit stronger'. He even mumbled a 'phew' at the end relieved that his team had won. I've never heard such an obvious 'I'm supporting one team' commentary from a player who wasn't openly supporting a team he had once played for.

In fact it was so obvious that I went to look up where he's from to see if he is likely to be a United fan. He was born in Maidstone. Case closed.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Disagree completely and pleased to see Potter, who never has a go at refs, agrees that there was no need for a VAR intervention because it wasnt clear and obvious. It's a bollocks decision from that bloody awful Australian VAR ref and once he sends the on field ref over he's never going to go against him.

Exactly. Think about the goal scoring opportunity we would’ve had if Shaw didn’t foul Lamptey.

The speed of the ball and Webster coming across doesn’t make it clear and obvious.

Ref ruined the game, really didn’t have to.

You have to look at the whole picture. We had a blatant goal scoring opportunity denied when Maguire fouled Welbeck last season, wasn’t given, but this was. It’s a joke.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Surely sold out will be more than that!?

It’s the allocation the club took. We most likely wouldn’t have sold another block considering the circumstances.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Surely the Fact that Potter is questioning the sending off decision, says something.
Has anybody ever seen him question a decision up to now?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I just wanna say 3 things:
1. i HATE ronaldo
2. Modar my fav player QUALITY
3. We must convert more chances as we could've been 2 or 3 up at HT and game almost over. Heads high the score did not reflect the performance. Bounce back Saturday.

I hate Mctominay more. Gobshite little man at a big club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Disagree completely and pleased to see Potter, who never has a go at refs, agrees that there was no need for a VAR intervention because it wasnt clear and obvious. It's a bollocks decision from that bloody awful Australian VAR ref and once he sends the on field ref over he's never going to go against him.

Spot on - and spot on by Potter, who knows better what he's talking about than any punter on NSC for my money. It was a matter of judgement as to whether Webster would have covered it - and TBF it was a close call. But that is the whole point - it was a close call so whichever the on-field ref. gives it, it is not a clear and obvious error.

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Spot on - and spot on by Potter, who knows better whhat he's talking about than any punter on NSC for my money. It was a matter of judgement as to whether Webster would have covered it - and TBF it was a close call. But that is the whole point - it was a close call do whichever the on-field ref. gives it, it is not a clear and obvious error.

Exactly. This. All day long.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Manchester United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Spot on - and spot on by Potter, who knows better whhat he's talking about than any punter on NSC for my money. It was a matter of judgement as to whether Webster would have covered it - and TBF it was a close call. But that is the whole point - it was a close call do whichever the on-field ref. gives it, it is not a clear and obvious error.

Clear and obvious is irrelevant once VAR has suggested the ref look at it. The ref didn’t have to change his mind.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That is demonstrably untrue. The replays show that Webster was well in front of him.

The replays show that Webster might have got there - or might not. Whatever decision the ref. gives - for or against a red card - is by definition not a clear and obvious error. Not clear and obvious enough to be overturned.
I struggle to see why this basic and clear principle is so difficult for English VAR operators to understand. VAR in other countries doesn't seem to have this same pathetic neediness to get involved at any cost, to massage their own self-importance, regardless of whether intervention is required.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If it’s being debating so much afterwards surely that’s a pretty big indication it isn’t clear and obvious?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Clear and obvious is irrelevant once VAR has suggested the ref look at it. The ref didn’t have to change his mind.

Clear and obvious is relevant. If it is not clear and obvious, VAR has no business getting involved. 'Hmm .. I've seen them given' for example, or 'That could gave gone either way' are not clear and obvious enough for the VAR to poke its nose in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here