Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Manchester United Fans - A bit of perspective required

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If it's anything like Sunday they'll meet on Salford Quays between Lime and the Lowry, walk to OT over the bridge and do a lap of the ground, where the stewards and police will shit themselves and stop people circulating round the ground as normal. Out of a crowd of 70000 odd they'll number about 500 but there'll be loads of PYRO.

And no one will notice the difference in the atmosphere with them not in the ground.

Did those muppets outside the away end stay outside during the game then ? I didn’t know that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If it's anything like Sunday they'll meet on Salford Quays between Lime and the Lowry, walk to OT over the bridge and do a lap of the ground, where the stewards and police will shit themselves and stop people circulating round the ground as normal. Out of a crowd of 70000 odd they'll number about 500 but there'll be loads of PYRO.

And no one will notice the difference in the atmosphere with them not in the ground.

And if Utd went into the Liverpool game undefeated, such an intimidating show of strength and solidarity wouldn't happen.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The debt will be taken into consideration for the price they receive when they sell, so the debt they've racked up will effectively be taken out of their pockets then (but meanwhile, the appreciation of the asset far outweighs the debt loading, so they will turn a huge profit by spending someone else's money. They just happened to be the owners of an asset that went up in value by about £4bn since they bought it. (not unlike the fortunate homeowners who have benefitted from the huge increase in house prices in the last 30 (40?) years.

It's the same with the mortgage on a house - the mortgage is based on the asset you are about to acquire (I'm not saying the situation is great BTW, but it's technically just the same as anyone's mortgage)

I dont think it is the same as a mortgage- for a mortgage you are borrowing the money from a third party, who have assessed (allegedly) your ability to repay the loan, if you default the house becomes the property of the building society. If the house isnt worth the money you owe when they sell-you still owe the balance, the balance of the debt would not be passed on to the new owners of the property, and interest payments would still need to be paid by you, not the new owners

With Man Utd, the debt was transfered to the club, not the clubs owners, if (unlikely I know) the club is sold for less than the debt , that debt is still with the club, not the Glazers. Interest on that Debt would still be payable by the club. That , I think is a fundamental difference

I know its all irrelevant as the club is worth far more than the debt- and to anyone who buys the club it will be a small consideration

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did those muppets outside the away end stay outside during the game then ? I didn’t know that.

They're proposing to for Liverpool, but what I meant was the atmosphere at OT isn't so good that someone will notice 500 of the hard core missing.

el punal

Maybe Matthew Harding was one of the good guys too ? I seem to recall that Abramovic was a bit miffed that he never got a stand named after him despite all the money he pumped in.

Maybe Jack Taylor at Blackburn in the 1990s - although he ‘bought’ the title for Rovers. Jack Hayward at Wolves, also the same era. John Hall at Newcastle as well.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bloody mancs got their revenge.

Fantastic to have been there for the historic win but the ******** gave me covid so I'll be missing the game tomorrow!!!

el punal

74 world cup, gave a penalty in the first minute I believe.

As an aside to the thread, my mate and I had booked time off for a two week camping holiday in Germany to coincide with the 1974 World Cup - on the basis that England would qualify. All we had to do was beat Poland at Wembley (October 73). We didn’t. I was at the game and I’ve never seen so many kitchen sinks being thrown - I’ve never forgiven Norman Hunter for letting Poland score. :tantrum:

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
When I was walking back to the station on Sunday I was chatting to a Utd “fan”. He said to me that we must think a top half finish would be achievable soon!

When I told him we finished 9th LAST season he had no clue whatsoever.

They are totally out of touch.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
while I have no real sympathy for the entitled pricks of Manchester (Blue or Red) my understanding of how the Glaziers bought the club is that prior to the deal, Man Utd had no debt. The Glaziers borrowed the money to buy the club, and then gave that debt to the club, landing Man Utd something like half a BILLION pounds in debt, with massive interest payments and so on

In my mind thats just crazy. The Glaziers own UTD, bought with money they dont have, and can walk away, leaving the debt behind. It doesnt make sense to me, and I csan see why true fans of the club want them gone

Without supporting the Glaziers that is a pretty standard business model. I've worked for many companies that have borrowed against the business they were buying. Difference being they haven't then removed millions for the shareholders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here