Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester United away travel (by train)

ChazzyBHA

Dec 27, 2011
Hi all,

Question for the room - I have a ticket for Manchester United away next weekend and I’m planning on travelling up via train for the game.

Normally I’d pre book at an earlier date but I haven’t been able to until now, the trains in the morning from London Euston to Manchester are all now appearing as “sold out” on the sites.

Would the best bet be to buy a return ticket to Manchester on the day and still attempt to get on one of the “sold out” trains? I imagine sold out only means seats are fully booked so I fully expect to be standing on the way!

I’ve never come across a train to be sold out before so just checking :lolol:

Many thanks!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes likely best bet. The train companies don’t 100% book seats, so there will be 1 or 2 carriages of unallocated seating

Part of the issue is BA cancelling pretty much all their Heathrow to Manchester flights , so those with bookings particularly connecting flights are being put on trains

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
A bit off topic but I'm pretty sure that the earliest you can get there by train is 1 as there are no early trains, that's what it was from goring anyway

el punal

Hi all,

Question for the room - I have a ticket for Manchester United away next weekend and I’m planning on travelling up via train for the game.

Normally I’d pre book at an earlier date but I haven’t been able to until now, the trains in the morning from London Euston to Manchester are all now appearing as “sold out” on the sites.

Would the best bet be to buy a return ticket to Manchester on the day and still attempt to get on one of the “sold out” trains? I imagine sold out only means seats are fully booked so I fully expect to be standing on the way!

I’ve never come across a train to be sold out before so just checking :lolol:

Many thanks!

Try an alternative route from Euston, for example to Crewe or Warrington then take local train to Manchester. That might work for you.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
I was going to drive to Milton Keynes then train it. Now all sold out and other routes taking a lot longer. Going to drive all the way now by the looks of it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Going for the weekend for exactly these reasons. National Football Museum and curry mile on Saturday, Salford Quays pre match.

If you can get dropped at Brighton or Haywards Heath on Sunday you can build time into the day. 06.50 from HH gets to Piccadilly at 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
a) there's almost always an unreserved coach (usually C I think);
b) rarely are all the reserved seats occupied by those who have reserved them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Going for the weekend for exactly these reasons. National Football Museum and curry mile on Saturday, Salford Quays pre match.

If you can get dropped at Brighton or Haywards Heath on Sunday you can build time into the day. 06.50 from HH gets to Piccadilly at 12.

Similar here, heading up Saturday afternoon for a few beers in town, cheap hotel and coming back after the match.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills

Same here - going up Saturday, coming back Monday

ChazzyBHA

Dec 27, 2011
I have just seen that Avanti have just put out a statement this morning reading there will be a reduced train service until the 11th September due to the current strikes.

However, due to the commonwealth games, they will have a train an hour to Manchester, so might be worth keeping an eye out on the website this week for any changes to the services.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Doing similar, booked the hotel the day the fixture list was announced, taking in Glossop North End v Emley AFC on the Saturday as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here