[Albion] Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Same old us eh? We make it so easy. Game is over. It's a complete waste of time and money, fair play those who went today but utterly predictable. Might do some gardening. Boring boring PL!!!
I dunno, at least it’s entertaining and not turgid anti-football… We’ve been brave and that needs to be acknowledged.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Decent first half really, considering the opposition, who are stronger than us in every department and then some.

We have defended fairly well, and had a couple of half chances, which is all we could have really expected from this fixture.

The first goal, what can you do - Webster was outmuscled by Haaland, Sanchez probably should have stayed in goal, but Haaland has such speed and strength, it was hard to anticipate.

The second goal was a definite penalty annoyingly. The only joke was VAR taking so long to call it.

Would like to avoid a hammering today, but it's not likely. I can't see us scoring without a bit of luck really.

Just a horrible fixture, this one. City are too good. Horrible fixture, horrible club, who are sadly going to win the league again.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Sadly, no confidence at all for pens, no prescence, waits for ball to hit the net. I know it's likely to hit the net, but at least give it a go.
That was a good penalty, nothing any keeper would have done about that. Shouldn’t have been a pen, and the first could easily have been a foul, albeit a soft one.
so far we’ve been undone by the officials, should be nil nil

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Regardless of whether these decisions were right or wrong, if the half ends with three VAR decisions that JC & WA can argue were all wrong, then VAR is not making decisions any less subjective than they were without technology. As this was the reason it was introduced, it is doing nothing. Get rid of the whole charade and just admit that referees will do their best, but are fallible.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Decent first half really, considering the opposition, who are stronger than us in every department and then some.

We have defended fairly well, and had a couple of half chances, which is all we could have really expected from this fixture.

The first goal, what can you do - Webster was outmuscled by Haaland, Sanchez probably should have stayed in goal, but Haaland has such speed and strength, it was hard to anticipate.

The second goal was a definite penalty annoyingly. The only joke was VAR taking so long to call it.

Would like to avoid a hammering today, but it's not likely. I can't see us scoring without a bit of luck really.

Just a horrible fixture, this one. City are too good. Horrible fixture, horrible club, who are sadly going to win the league again.

The joke with the second goal was the ref blowing to go and look at the screen, wait until it goes out of play FFS.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Looked a penalty to me, I don’t disagree with the decision, just how long they went back to give it.

Can’t stand VAR.
Agree it was not exactly a crazy call. Some clumsy defending. Sanchez tackle on Haaland could also have been a penalty. Two 50/50s, one decision went well for Brighton and the other didn't. It is what it is.

If that was in the other penalty area, with Tross or someone not getting a penalty, people here would have been furious about the decision.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Stream is very moody. When it came back on they had already scored the penalty. It seemed to suggest it was for Silva sticking his leg out to transfer with Dunk, but before the stream went down they said that had already been checked. It clearly wasn't a penalty.

Surely the penalty wasn't for that incident? If so, that was a long delay to bring it all back to that.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Just seen another replay. I used to like B Silva, as he seemed like an upstanding bloke....but he flicked his leg out as do all the good players. The flippin' idiots on VAR, you know, the ones who are on the big sixes payroll, gave it as a foul. I don't know, should there be a time limit to make a VAR decision or should all of those in charge be vetted for their ability to take a bribe? These aren't blue and white specs I'm looking through. I'm even sure Shearer will say it's extremely harsh.
It does seem to be the same officials making the same calls

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Not sure why people are moaning, yes, a dodgy pen decision, but they should have had one earlier in the game.

Not sure what people were expecting from this game, we were always going to lose it. It's a free hit. Don't want to take a tanking and damage morale, let's just limit the score.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
That was a good penalty, nothing any keeper would have done about that. Shouldn’t have been a pen, and the first could easily have been a foul, albeit a soft one.
so far we’ve been undone by the officials, should be nil nil
It wouldn't have been soft, it's the difference between a clear goalscoring opportunity and stopping one. If it were the other way around and Webster chucked Haaland to the ground it would've been a straight red card for stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity. Why is it ok if it's the other way around?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Stream is very moody. When it came back on they had already scored the penalty. It seemed to suggest it was for Silva sticking his leg out to transfer with Dunk, but before the stream went down they said that had already been checked. It clearly wasn't a penalty.

Surely the penalty wasn't for that incident? If so, that was a long delay to bring it all back to that.
I'm afraid it was.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Regardless of whether these decisions were right or wrong, if the half ends with three VAR decisions that JC & WA can argue were all wrong, then VAR is not making decisions any less subjective than they were without technology. As this was the reason it was introduced, it is doing nothing. Get rid of the whole charade and just admit that referees will do their best, but are fallible.
It's why I jacked it all in
No different mistakes now than there always were - plus you have doubled up the chances of a ref feckin it up!!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What a heap of shit that second goal was. Looked a nailed on penalty in real time, var then spends an eternity while play still goes on to review it, has the benefit of seeing Silva stick his leg out and decides to send the ref to the monitor. WTF took it so long?! What would have happened if we had scored in the time it took var to decide it was a penalty?

I'm not convinced it was a penalty but I can live with it being one but why did it take so long to decide? It's bollocks.

Apart from that we've been ok although we're at risk of getting turned over. Do we try and get back in the game and get done on the counter or do we try and minimise the damage and invite the best team in Europe to attack us at will? What a choice!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Agree it was not exactly a crazy call. Some clumsy defending. Sanchez tackle on Haaland could also have been a penalty. Two 50/50s, one decision went well for Brighton and the other didn't. It is what it is.

If that was in the other penalty area, with Tross or someone not getting a penalty, people here would have been furious about the decision.
This. And I don’t understand all the stick Sanchez and Webster are getting on here yet Dunk gets away scot free when he’s the main reason we’ve conceded 2 goals?

Thought we played pretty well overall against the best team in the world. Not going to get worked up about losing this, we get through it and move on to next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports