Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
134310-043abd5f1b988d938d0575ccbb7bc2e0.jpg
134297-39f6512e6e3b71ea26a0c094f44221c2.jpg

Man City v Albion

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue:
Etihad Stadium
Date: Saturday 22nd October 2022
Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Referee: Craig Pawson
Assistants: Marc Perry, Scott Ledger
Fourth Official: Tony Harrington
VAR: Lee Mason
Additional VAR: Ian Hussin

TEAM NEWS

Manchester City defender John Stones has returned to full training after five games out with a hamstring injury.

Kyle Walker and Kalvin Phillips are recovering from surgery.

Brighton head coach Roberto De Zerbi said "there is some fatigue in the squad" but did not mention specific players.

Defender Levi Colwill could return after an ankle injury, while winger Kaoru Mitoma will also be assessed ahead of the game.

Defender Jan Paul van Hecke might feature after being an unused substitute in midweek.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Brighton have never won an away league match at Manchester City in 12 attempts (D2, L10).
  • Manchester City are on a run of eight successive home league wins against Brighton, including all five in the Premier League.
Man City
  • City's 21-match unbeaten league run was ended by Liverpool last weekend. They haven't lost consecutive top-flight games since December 2018.
  • Pep Guardiola's side have won their past nine Premier League home fixtures, scoring at least three goals each time.
  • No side has scored three goals or more in 10 straight top-flight home matches since Aston Villa's run of 15 from December 1930 to September 1931.
  • Phil Foden has managed five goals in his past four league appearances against Brighton.
  • Erling Haaland has scored in each of his past six home games in all competitions, with 13 goals in total.
  • Kevin De Bruyne has created 33 chances and provided nine assists, more than any other Premier League player this season.
Albion
  • Brighton are winless in four league matches (D2, L2) and haven't scored in the last three.
  • The Seagulls have had 54 failed attempts on goal across those past three fixtures.
  • Roberto De Zerbi is the first Brighton manager to remain winless in each of his first four league games in charge since Barry Lloyd in 1987. Lloyd had to wait 13 matches for his first victory.
  • After winning their first two Premier League away games this season, the Seagulls have earned just one point from the subsequent three.
  • Albion are one short of 100 top-flight wins.

Roberto De Zerbi's Man City Press Conference

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Back to bed, Head, you lunatic!
I think the thread is timed for release at 0300, when all are in bed. Well, most.

Anyway, I'll take a 3-0 defeat here and now and run.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I fear this could be a “Welcome to the PL” match for RDZ o_O

Don’t be annihilated please!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Haaland 8 Brighton 0

My mojo is at rock bottom right now. I'll probably go out for a walk or clean the house at 3.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Haaland knows he'll never be able to get past Lewis Dunk.
Fairly certain today Haaland will provide an assist for the captain.
Sanchez won't have a chance.

Begging the question 'why am I just about to head off to North North Arundel?'

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
… one of the strategies might be to shut De Bruyne down before Haaland even gets a touch

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
It is hard to be optimistic in the face of stats like the above… but , so what? I will enjoy following the game and I am sure those hardy souls who make the trip North will have a good day out. You know, since we are probably going to lose anyway it may not hurt to experiment and give Undav and Encisio a go?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited (to be looking at my match ticket unused as Avanti are shite)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
One of those rare games where, as long as we don’t get humiliated, I’m not going to be that bothered about losing.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I genuinely fear for both our goal difference, and for the confidence of our defenders afterwards.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Anything other than 0 points would be a miracle today.

We just won't be able to contain Haaland in particular.

I think we can score against them. Maybe even more than one. The problem is they will score more than we do, and then some more after that.

I'm just hoping for a good performance and a respectable scoreline.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Anything other than 0 points would be a miracle today.

We just won't be able to contain Haaland in particular.

I think we can score against them. Maybe even more than one. The problem is they will score more than we do, and then some more after that.

I'm just hoping for a good performance and a respectable scoreline.
Nice to have you back.

Being realistic, we need to stop Haaland scoring a hat-trick because he is going to score today whatever. Maybe play 5 at the back with a player doing a man-2-man job on him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here