Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Man City work out Arsenal (and Brighton?)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Interesting article on The Times today talking about how Man City went direct to beat Arsenal. Way more often than against any other team this season.

But look who comes just behind. It appears they used a similar tactic against us. Go direct, use a big front man to ruffle some feathers, sacrifice some possession but bypass the press.

Have any other teams exploited this potential vulnerability against us this season?

16766192297002867561943146884888.jpg

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Our next opponents did - and they will again tomorrow 😕
That was with Potter though, who was more one dimensional in his approach, we tend to play with more width under RdZ which in itself creates space (all IMO of course 😃).

I thought in the first game Fulham dived more than any team I’ve seen in the PL so tomorrow will be interesting.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
After last week I'm certain we'll see more high balls into the 6 yard box,Bob will be targeted as a potential weak link and there's no argument against it if your the opposing manager there will have been that conversation with his players

Fulham have one of the best headers of the ball in the league so they'd be daft not to try and exploit the chance of a few howitzers into the box, it's a bit disrespectful to view Fulham as just long ball merchants because quite clearly they have more to their game than that.

They simply played better than us the last time we met and i think we're far better equipped now in terms of organisation and understanding what the manager wants so I'd like to think it won't be so easy for them this time around,this is a very big game for both teams,and a chance to build a little gap between us and poor Chelsea who didn't realise they hadn't purchased a £100 million striker when the window closed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That was with Potter though, who was more one dimensional in his approach, we tend to play with more width under RdZ which in itself creates space (all IMO of course 😃).

I thought in the first game Fulham dived more than any team I’ve seen in the PL so tomorrow will be interesting.
We also had a bit of an odd line-up, going 3-5-2 with Groß and Trossard up front.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure that hitting it long to a 6ft 5 lightning quick Nordic freak with 30 goals or whatever already is quite the revolutionary tactic it's being made out to be.
As I said in the ‘arry thread. English football is returning to the dinosaur age :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure that hitting it long to a 6ft 5 lightning quick Nordic freak with 30 goals or whatever already is quite the revolutionary tactic it's being made out to be.
To be honest, I'm all in favour of any tactic that bypasses SockBoy.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
They played it long more because Arsenal pressed them high, as did we and as did Man City. It’s not that hard to work out really.

Teams go long against us all the time, Palace and bumfluff did it constantly, didn’t work for them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting article on The Times today talking about how Man City went direct to beat Arsenal. Way more often than against any other team this season.

But look who comes just behind. It appears they used a similar tactic against us. Go direct, use a big front man to ruffle some feathers, sacrifice some possession but bypass the press.
Ruffle feathers? Should have been a foul against Webster.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Peps achievements in football are undeniable but I'd wager every other manager in the league would have Man City on at least as many points this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Peps achievements in football are undeniable but I'd wager every other manager in the league would have Man City on at least as many points this season.
So Pep has been the worst (or joint worst) performing manager of the season?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Fulham play sone good football and the results reflect that …but boy they certainly do and I anticipate they’ll get plenty of abuse tomorrow

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
One of Dunks achilles is a long ball over the top To a half decent striker. If he doesn't get it he gets sent off or booked trying .
Feels like a little while since we had a proper game changing decision like that go in our favour. Would be nice to catch a lucky break tomorrow after last week’s astonishing bout of bad karma.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here